Monday, November 5, 2018

"If This Isn't Nice...": How to be happy again

“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, ‘If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.’” ~ Kurt Vonnegut

After months, often years, of longing to feel happy again, we notice that we're laughing a bit more. That our chest doesn't feel quite so tight. That we can go hours, sometimes half a day without remembering the betrayal, without a trigger, without that ache.
What is this? we wonder. How can I possibly be happy right now. My husband cheated on me. In fact, he might still be cheating on me. Where is he right now? I better check his e-mail account. 
And our pulse quickens and our heart pounds and we're right back in that dark storm of fear and anxiety.
Which confirms for us that we'll never feel happy again.
And which is simply not true.
In the wake of betrayal, we speak in absolutes. I will never be happy again. I will always hurt. I will never trust him again. People always let me down. I will never be the same. 
It's important, of course, to parse out the truth in those statements. So let's examine them more closely:
I will never be the same: On its surface, that's true. You never will be the same but who among remains the same person? But I know the fear hidden in that statement: That you're fundamentally changed in ways that you don't want to be. You don't laugh so much. You're anxious a lot. You don't feel as safe in your marriage as you did.
I felt all that. And I was convinced that I was somehow destined to remain this shell of my former self, this damaged person. 
I was wrong.
With time and whole lot of healing, I have changed. My eyes are a bit more open to others' treatment of me. I no longer shake off bad behaviour instead calling people on it. My boundaries are so much more clear and strong than they ever were. 
I treat myself better. I try and catch myself when I shift into martyr mode – when I tell myself that my family would shrivel up and die without me there to cook, to clean, to organize, to comfort. Stoking my resentment is unhealthy for all of us. Far better to teach them to cook, to clean, to organize, to comfort. 
I will always hurt: My dear wounded sisters, this hurts like a sonofabitch. I know that. It hurts in a way that you can't ever imagine it not hurting again. And it will continue to hurt for a while. Months. Maybe a year or two. The dull ache will last even longer.
But...
You will not always hurt. Not if you do the work of healing yourself from not only his infidelity but all that old stuff that the infidelity dredges from the muck of your soul. The critical mother's words. The schoolyard bully's words. The nasty sister's words. The belief, somehow lodged in your psyche that you just don't quite measure up. Pull all that stuff up, along with the bullshit beliefs around why he cheated and spread it out, metaphorically, in front of you. And then examine each belief. Challenge it. Is it true? Probably not. Is it helpful? Doubt it. Keep examining the belief behind that default message that plays in your head ("Elle isn't available right now because she's lazy/ugly/stupid/unlucky/pathetic/whatever"). Challenge it each time. Where's the evidence that this is true? REAL evidence. Not your out-of-whack beliefs. Actual empirical evidence. If change is necessary, then change what you want to change. But notice too all the ways in which you're pretty great. Remind yourself of those qualities often. 
What will happen is that hurt will slowly heal. Whether or not your marriage survives, YOU will. And you will grow stronger because you're nurturing yourself. You will grow healthier because you're treating yourself like you matter. We bloom under a benevolent sun not a storm cloud.
I will never trust him again: H'mmm. Probably not if by trust you mean this absolute conviction that he would never EVER cheat on your. That genie is out of the bottle. We know what he's capable of doing so we can't ever convince ourselves that he's not capable of it. 
Even when HE thinks he's no longer capable of it. He is. 
But we're all capable of it. And those of us who think we're not are kinda lying to ourselves. 
This is where his work comes in. When he can honestly look at the various lines he crossed to cheat and recognize what they look like and what he was telling himself, then he's far less likely to do it again.
I knew my husband was worthy of a second chance the day he told me that, whether I stayed or left, he was focussed on becoming a better man. He did not want to be "that guy" again. Twelve years later, he remembers well the profound disappointment he had in himself. I have no guarantees that he won't cheat again. But neither do any of us, whether our husbands have cheated or not. Husbands are completely trustworthy. Until they're not.
Trusting him again really comes down to trusting yourself to be in your marriage in a way that's rooted in self-respect. 
People always let me down: This was my go-to conviction. I had a long list of people who had let me down. My parents. My grandmother. Friends. Boyfriends. Thing is, once I really pulled this bullshit belief into the light of day, I was faced with a deeper truth. I had let myself down. I had let myself down by staying in friendships that were one-sided. I had let myself down by going back to a boyfriend who was careless with my heart. I had let myself down by not expecting more of myself when I knew what I was capable of. 
The difference is though I can't control  how others treat me, I can absolutely control what I allow. And that's all the difference that matters. 
Once I stopped letting myself down, it mattered far less whether others did. It still stings, of course, when someone I considered a friend does something unkind. But once you value yourself, you're far more likely to tell them how their actions hurt. To expect accountability. To not take responsibility for others' bad behaviour but also to take full responsibility for your own. 
I will never be happy again: I promise you that you will. But it requires, as my beloved Kurt Vonnegut reminds us, to notice those moments. Tiny slivers at first. A smile at your child's antics. A beautiful harvest moon. A moment of grace from a friend. A doctor's appointment that delivers good news. A gorgeous pair of shoes, or just the right shade of lipstick. A mighty tree in the woods that has withstood a century or more of Mother Nature's blows. Pay attention, my secret sisters. Pay attention. Happiness returns to those who create a home for it. "And if that isn't nice..."

16 comments:

  1. I love this & needed this today! I'm over a year out & want to smile, trust, be happy, & more than anything to just be able to forget, even for just one day.

    I've caught myself smiling, even laughing sometimes. Its a strange feeling, to actually "catch' yourself smiling because it's become somewhat rare.

    Ironically, on D-day, after I kicked him out, I was surrounded by people I loved dearly. We put on some high energy music and danced, laughed & were so silly! We were all hurting very badly, but we managed about a half hour of ridiculous belly laughter.

    Just about every day I walk or run outside & really make the effort to take it all in, to appreciate beauty. I've done that since d-day and I encourage anyone who has newly discovered their husbands betrayal to find beauty. Open your eyes & find the good. It's there. When we see something beautiful, it pulls us away from the pit of despair & gives us something to reach toward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gem, Your name suits you. Sounds as though you're able to shine, no matter what.

      Delete
  2. I was driving to work this morning having these exact thoughts. How can I still be so unsure of my happiness while knowing that the OW moved on so quickly. I notice my happiness and joy more now. I can laugh with my h with ease but there seems to be something that pulls me back into that pain even after 3 years out. Little triggers that takes me days to get past. I for one can not wait until the day that I don't feel like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous
      sometimes it comes down to accepting that your life holds both those experiences -- joy and ease, but also occasional triggers and pain. The key, I think, is knowing that none of our feelings are permanent. Enjoy the joy when it's there. Recognize the triggers when they arise. But know that both will pass.

      Delete
  3. This is a relevant post. I struggle with these areas all the time. I feel like there is an ebb and flow or a roller coaster of feelings. At 3 1/2 years out I would say these feelings have lessened but they still are there like an undercurrent and rise up from time to time.

    I will never be the same: So true. In good moments I think I am glad. I do not want to go back to that life. It was fake, false, whatever I could call it. Now I lead a more authentic life. I really work hard to focus on the present.

    I will always hurt: This has probably decreased the most for me. I have really worked hard and understand these were/are my husband's issues. I am clear and concise about boundaries and I express how I am feeling rather than holding things in. This is where I have grown the most. I do not hold things in. It is not worth it. That got me no where. If I have an odd feeling I say it.

    I will never trust him again: This was really hard at first. Based on my therapist and Elle I really watched to see if my husband's actions matched his words. I called him out when I saw disparities. Again boundaries made this one easy. My husband has been good about this and understood that trust needed to be earned after I felt safe. It took a while. I will never say I 100% trust him. He understands this second chance is a major gift after what he did. He has been transparent and authentic.

    People always let me down: This is the most constant daily struggle for me. The effects of the betrayal have partially caused me to feel this way. During the first 12 months or so we really scaled back, focused on our selves as individuals, spent time as a couple. So I did less with others. Over time I feel I have changed. I also just feel less social. I also can say I am hurt more personally. In the past if a friend cancelled on me repeatedly I would just say oh well. Now I struggle with it more. I am also more skeptical of others knowing what they are capable of. And I see how many people push boundaries and not just with relationships but all areas of their lives.

    I will never be happy again: This is a challenge for me. I honestly sit and think about what does being "happy" even mean. What I thought was happy was shattered. I try to focus on what I need and self care. I find the most happiness from my kids. I also am happy when I am with my husband. I do feel that it is best when it is the two of us. When we spend time with others I do not feel that same way. I am not sure if it just causes too many triggers. This is a work in progress and I try to be in tune. Sometimes it is hard since I am an introvert and I think with age and betrayal it has only strengthened my desire to be alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work in progress pretty much sums it up. And like you, I was less social for quite a while. I liken it to a cocoon, where I needed to heal and grow before I could re-emerge with wings.
      I'm far less easy-going about shitty behaviour now. I was like you -- giving people the benefit of the doubt, or overlooking stuff. Now I don't make a big deal about it but I just don't put up with it. I give some leeway and then I either leave or don't make plans that might put me in a position where I'm left waiting.

      Delete
  4. Hi Elle and everyone
    I made the painful and costly decision to move out of my home. Its tough. No words can describe what I feel. Add on a surgery right after my move which left me susceptible to entering the dark world, again. My life is a mess but I keep it happy and colourful for my son. Where do I go from here? Preparing myself for an emotionally charged divorce proceeding.
    Funny, there are days I woke up and wished this was just a terrible nightmare. But, it is not. These days, I do question God a lot on why I am made to tread such a lonely and challenging journey when at this age of early 40s, I should be leading a fruitful life, just like my friends.
    Love Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn,
      It can feel really tough when those around us don't have the same challenges. But just because they aren't dealing with hurdles now doesn't mean that they won't at some point. Life is peaks and valleys.
      I'm sorry you're in a valley right now. But it sounds as though you've made positive steps to start climbing back up again. I'm glad you're able to be there for your son. Trust that the "colour" will return for you too. You've had some real blows and you're healing from them. Be patient, be gentle with yourself and be kind to yourself.

      Delete
  5. ISO input. It will be 2 years in dec. Does anyone feel two-faced after their affair? Or find themselves compartmentalizing? I only told a few close friends. No family, so no one really knows that anything even happened. But at times when I am away from my husband, and with my kids or friends I can feel for the most part, happy. Then once I am alone or with my husband it can hit me like a ton of bricks. and feel like I am being crushed. Then other times I am completely fine with my husband or even alone. IS this normal? Am I actually healing? Or am I sweeping it under the rug and putting my blinders on so I don't have to FEEL?? I know everyone is different but sometimes I feel like its completely hopeless at times. Its so confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twins Twice, I am at 3 1/2 years plus and I feel the same way. I think the feelings are less now but they are still there. It still comes in waves for me. I never told anyone, only my therapist. So I feel like I live a double life at times. My husband observed that it seems he was able to unload his burden of this secret to me and absolve himself but now I carry that burden. It has been my choice not to tell anyone, not his. I found that to be an interesting observation. He has never been happier in his entire life.

      This entire recovery is a process. And I too feel different at times with my husband. And it is not predictable. All I can attribute it to is experiencing the most major trauma in my life. I am more sensitive than ever before and less resilient. I find when something happens in one aspect of my life it affects others. Not sure if I am just on red alert or extra sensitive to those gut feelings but it happens to me.

      My husband always says his only goal in life is for me to be happy. I struggle most with this since I do not know what happy is as a blanket statement like that. I thought I was happy for the ten years he was having affairs. I have happy moments but not sure I am happy as an individual. Sigh, I totally know where you are coming from. I try to focus on the good on a daily basis.

      Delete
    2. TT,
      Yes, I felt just like you do. Like I was sometimes in some sort of alternate reality. It's exhausting enough with young kids but to factor in the emotional tornado that is betrayal just makes it so much harder. So compartmentalizing is a survival strategy, I think. It gets you through the day and helps you enjoy the part of your life that feels whole and good.
      I think as long as you're not resisting or avoiding painful feelings, you are healing. Healing means processing the pain while keeping yourself open to the good in your life. It just takes so bloody long...

      Delete
  6. TwinsTwice.

    I can so relate to how you feel. My family knew because they helped look for my h when he tried to end his life. But there are times being with him triggers me and then other times I feel great and can laugh easily around him. I can get triggered being with my kids at time but, most times I just feel happy being with them. I still have issues being by myself at times even after 3 years. Last week I was home sick for a few days and the OW was all I thought about. I think healing comes in waves and we each heal at our own pace. Like the spiritual awakening that has been mentioned on here in a previous post. If feels like you are drowning and then you get to catch your breath. Look up what goes on with these awakenings and see if it relates to you. I think that they happen because of the trauma we have been through and it's a way that we can heal and feel like us again only different if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love something I read in a book called Option B that speaks to so much of the excellent things Elle mentions here. Option B is about grief (not affairs specifically, but it's clearly related). The studies on resilience show that people can return stronger from traumatic events faster if they will fight the three P's in their mind: this trauma is not Personal (not caused by you. You don't deserve it), it's not Pervasive (it won't affect every single aspect of your life. Some things will be spared), and it's not Permanent (you won't always feel this bad). The way you "fight" is by replacing the thought, "I will always feel this way" with, "I will sometimes feel this way." Or the thought, "This changes everything" with "this changes a lot." Also, "I caused this" with "I did not cause this, but it is now my responsibility to respond." So much of the battle is in our own minds about ourselves and our grief, not about our spouses.
    Recently a friend experienced the loss of a baby at birth. This is a person who lost her father, brother, and uncle all at the same time in an accident when she was a girl. She constructed a beautiful post on social media stating simply that, "there is a hole in their hearts that will never be filled." Then she went on to count so many blessings. Beautiful, I thought, because here is a person who gets it. She's not struggling with the reality of the situation because she knows profound grief. This hole will be there, but right along side it will be joy. She's not frantically trying to fill that hole (shopping, drinking...) she's acknowledging it and learning to live regardless. TRUE badassery!!! I live my life parallel to this hole in my life, experiencing lots of joy. Sometimes I still look over at it traveling next to me, but I mostly waive at it and stay where I am, enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. notice this is the lower case ann. :-)

      Delete
    2. ann, I am going to order or get that book from the library. I believe there are so many parallels to grief. Also Esther Perel talks often of her experience with Holocaust survivors. It really is about resiliency. And they were all stronger and happier. They appreciated everything they did have.

      For me it is what I tell myself in my mind. It is that negative self talk I battle. I think it has always been there but after betrayal was made worse. It is daily work to focus on the positive both thoughts in my head and all that is around me. I always tell myself I cannot change the past and I had no control over my husband's decisions. All I can do is focus on the day in front of me.

      Delete
    3. ann,
      Yes, I think those of us who've experienced grief and truly worked through it end up in a place where life can seem even more beautiful and precious because we're aware of how fragile it can be. Glennon Doyle calls it "brutiful" -- both brutal and beautiful. Making space in our hearts for this parallel truth is what allows us to remain open-hearted even after heartbreak. It doesn't come easy. There's usually plenty of anger and numbness along the way. But it's possible.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails