Tuesday, December 24, 2019

From the Vault: Finally! The recovering perfectionist's all-you-need guide to surviving the holidays

by StillStanding1

The holidays can be tough, what with families and history and people in our lives expecting unrealistic things of us and our own selves expecting unrealistic things of us. Add in post-trauma from betrayal and you have got a seriously heavy load to carry.
I am a recovering perfectionist. Being a perfectionist sucks. You think no one will love you unless you do everything absolutely right. This always comes back to my “enough-ness”, that softest of all my soft spots. You destroy yourself through over achieving, you hustle for worthiness, trying to make everything just right for everyone else and losing yourself in the process. 
At this time of year, it takes on an even deeper level of intensity. Christmas (that’s the holiday I do. Feel free to insert your holiday loaded with expectations and desperation here) must look like the love child of Currier & Ives and Pottery Barn. Everything must sparkle and glow (decorate every room in the house and do the outside lights by myself). Mince pies perfectly dusted with powdered sugar (stay up till midnight baking because everyone will be disappointed if you bring something store-bought). All presents on list purchased and wrapped (everyone must have piles of things to open. Everything for the kids must be fair and equal. I must make sure I get presents for my friends and my kids' friends despite my dwindling budget). All parties attended and dressed in appropriately festive attire and everyone well brushed and behaved (crap, my son needs a haircut. Does he have clean pants that aren’t athletic?! WTF am I going to wear?). Fake that smile as if my life depended on it (even as I’m triggered watching other people’s husbands over-indulge in alcohol and breathe the fumes on me). Visit out-of-town relatives for parties I dislike and sleep in uncomfortable rooms or on slowly deflating air mattresses (but don’t dare suggest we say “no” because someone might be disappointed. Gasp). A frenzy of shopping and shipping and wrapping and cooking and visiting and trying so hard to make sure all the people in my life have all their needs met. Even needs they didn’t know they had. Wow. I’m exhausted just writing that.
With the discovery that I don’t have to be perfect to be loveable and these amazing things called boundaries (what is and is not okay with me), the holidays get just a little bit easier.
1.      Give yourself a break. You don’t have to do it all. You don’t have to sit through movies or music or anything that upsets you or just makes you feel lousy. You don’t have to be strong for others. You don’t have to be strong at all. You don’t have to be super mom or Mrs. Claus.
2.     Say no.  To invitations that don’t fit your schedule.  To doing things for other people that you don’t want to do. To anything that feels like a bad idea. To your husband wanting to go out for drinks with his pals, if that doesn’t suit you just now. To anything your gut tells you is not good for you right now. There’s so much pressure to be nice and do all these things we don’t want to do. You can say no and still be nice. They are not mutually exclusive. Resist the urge to explain or justify your no. “Thanks for thinking of me, but no thank you.” Repeat as necessary.
3.     Let go of expectations. For yourself, that you get everything done, that all the boxes are checked off, that you feel a certain way.  Don’t expect that you should feel happy or joyful or forgiving just because some arbitrary holiday season says you should be feeling those things. Let go of expectations for others; that they do more or be more capable of something or different than they are. When you can start seeing and accepting people where they are, you don’t get disappointed. And those people can tell when there is a new room for them to show up in.  Let go of the idea that things need to go a certain way or look a certain way or be a certain way.
4.     Say yes to self-care. Sleep, eat to take care of yourself, exercise, meditate, read, make time for you. See #2 above. Get your nails done. Visit with friends. Call your mom/sister/other reliable support person.
5.     Whenever possible don’t engage with toxic relatives. Don’t take the bait when one tries to get a rise out of you. Let the complainer’s complaints roll off you. They are about her, not you. Don’t bite when individuals question your life choices. Don’t sit next to people who set you off or are emotionally risky for you. Have an escape plan. You are allowed to leave early.
6.     Boundaries. Boundaries. Boundaries.  A well-meaning relative may pressure you to eat more because they have made something “especially for you.” You can say thank you and then go ahead and eat or not eat what you had intended. Your husband wants to go to a work holiday party after hours. Does that make you uncomfortable? Does he get to go but needs to check in? Or do you go with him? You decide what works for you. That’s your boundary.
7.     Drop the judgement. You are not a bad person for not wanting to spend more time with relatives or in-laws. You are, rather, putting yourself first and that makes a lot of us (and others) supremely uncomfortable. You are not a failure because you did not make 800 lbs of shortbread cookies. Be gentle and compassionate with yourself.
8.     Remind yourself that you are doing an awesome fucking job. At showing up. At breathing. At getting through each day. Maybe you made your bed. Win! Maybe you had tea with a friend. Win! Maybe you decided the laundry could wait another day. More winning!
9.     Ask. For. Help. Really. You don’t have to do it all yourself. Refer to #1. Delegate decorating to kids or ask your partner to help you this year. Maybe you go to the grocery store to get the dinner fixings together. Maybe your husband can be in charge of buying the gifts for his side of the family if that usually falls to you. Make a list. Assign to your team. Kick back with your tea and watch people actually rise to the occassion. 
10.  Resist the urge to swoop in and make sure they do it your way. Reference #3. I think the reason so many of us go in to fix it mode after betrayal is because it was our go-to coping strategy to begin with. When in doubt, take over, be busy, don’t think, don’t feel.  And also make sure everything is just so because perfection makes everything better (#sarcasm). Once you’ve delegated a task, trust that the person doing the task will get it done. It may not be your way but there is more than one “right” way. Let go.
11.  Be grateful. For whatever you can muster gratitude for. Your health. Your kids. The roof over your head. Your dog. For friends and family that love and support you. For sunshine. For the smell of snow. For a chance to live another day. Whatever you can feel gratitude for, keep your eyes on that. Its hard, in the wake of betrayal to feel grateful for anything. But over time, remembering what you have, the good stuff, helps you get past or let go of what no longer serves you or what you feel you’ve lost.
12.  Be sad. If you need to. The overarching glory of the holidays tends to silence or erase our sad feelings.  And like so much of our experience as betrayed wives, we just need room to feel our stuff all the way through. We see others being happy, normal, living lives not marred by this weight and we think why not me? We think of what’s missing and it takes our breath away. Ideally, share your sadness with someone who understands and can love you through your sadness. But even on your own, sadness won’t kill you. I promise. Let yourself have it, if that’s what you need right now. 
13.  You have permission to change your mind. You can feel like you want to go to a party when you get the invitation but when the time comes, you may just have had a bad day. You may be too tired and sad. You are allowed to stay home and take care of yourself.
14.  Be happy. Give yourself permission for this too. There’s a lot going on right now. If you find yourself surprised in the moment by some happiness, wrap your arms around that shit and enjoy it. Post-betrayal, some of us feel like good feelings are not permitted. That if we feel happy, even for split second, we are letting him off the hook. Our happiness is just that. Ours. Let yourself have it.
Holidays can be tough for so many reasons. Remember that you are not alone. We are all standing here with you. And if you feel overwhelmed, stuck in depression or like you just can’t take another day please call 1-800-273-8255It’s for everyone, open 24/7 and free.

9 comments:

  1. I’m one month out from d-day and I’m still in so much pain. Last night with family and this morning actually felt ok, but then when I was holding my husband’s hand earlier it hit me where those hands have been, on other women’s bodies as he had sex with them. Now I’m hurting so badly again. I just don’t understand how someone I’ve known since we were little kids and I’ve been married to for over 21 years could have been doing that for at least 5 years. And I was so trusting and clueless. This pain is unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HQuinzell, I am so sorry you are here. We have all been where you are. It is hard to comprehend. My husband had two affairs over ten years. And we had been married 20 years. I know the feeling, pain, devastation. Take your time and if you are up for it read as much as you can on this site. There are so many helpful posts and great comments too. Give yourself time. One thing that was important for me to focus on was this could not be fixed quickly. It was a long process of deciding if I wanted to try and make our marriage work, setting boundaries with my husband, watching to see if his actions matched his words, thinking about trusting him again and gradually trusting him more and more. For me it felt like a roller coaster ride or two steps forward one step back. A lot of highs and lows. For us we cut out everything except what was absolutely necessary and we spent all of our time together. We basically immersed ourselves together. We will be at five years dday this March and things are better than ever, not perfect but really good. Please ask questions, post or come to read. We are here for you. And for me this site was so powerful. I realized how hearing "me too" meant so much.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I am at 3 months of Dday and I am still not sure what I want to do. One day I hate him, the next day I love him and I look at her facebook page and see that she likes the same places that he goes. He would not talk about the affair and told me it wasn't what I thought. What should I think? We have been together for 20 years. We are not married and I am older than him. The other woman is a lot younger than he is. I don't know if it was middle age crazy but I am so heartbroken. I still don't know what to do. He picks arguments with me and is so hateful. I think it is his conscience bothering him. I am a strong woman and I will survive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chardnc,
      I'm so sorry for the pain you're in. I'm glad you found us. We know what you're going through.
      I don't doubt that you're a strong woman. And yes, you will survive. I hope, however, that you are able to set some clear boundaries around what you will and will not toelrate from him. You'll notice the tagline at the top of this page says "My heartbreak, my rules." If this man wants to keep you in his life, he needs to earn that privilege. And he does that by being honest with you, treating you with respect and showing you, day after day, that he deserves your trust. If he can't or won't do any of that, why are you with him? What does he bring to the table? I know 20 years is a long, long time. And I know how hard it is to walk away from that. I just want you to make it clear that infidelity changes the rules -- and from here on in, he needs to come clean and begin earning a second chance with you.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure where to post but I truly feel the need to talk to you all. I am going to try to post this much first. If it works I will tell my 41 year marriage story. Also don't know how to change my "screen name". I truly don't know how much more pain I can take so I am desperate for comments that will help. Miss Missy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Missy,
      You are among friends. I hope you will share your story. We learn from each other on this site.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Elle. Married 41 years. I am 65, he is 60. He has been targeted at his old job to the point he lost the job of 20 years. It is another story but the result is I swear he had a nervous breakdown. It took several years to peak but when it did it was hell. He had a huge anger problem that work compounded. Briefly, Union tried to help but didn't do it right. I played "atty" and took the case against Union to the state and we just heard we won. There was a hearing and months of research, etc. I have always supported him at work (I work there too) because I saw what happened. When he lost the job he wanted to quit the fight but I was already in too deep. A hearing was scheduled, etc. It is kind of hard to just say Hey, never mind. anyway, he became so violent and crazy I had to ask him to leave. He would not separate so I said divorce me then. He moved into our rental. It took him all of 6 weeks before he was targeted by what I am sure is a sexual predator. Another story. He fell for it hook line and sinker and fucked her Sep 27 and 29th. Before he left he said he couldn't bear to drive by and see another car in the driveway where I was. I drove by his place and saw her car. I stopped and confronted them. It was obvious to me what she wanted. Two weeks prior she had stopped and asked him to work for her. In the couple weeks he was in the rental he had ripped out cabinets, fenced the acre lot, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. A hard worker to say the least. She saw it and stopped. Found out he had the house, all the vehicles, 2 lots and a cabin on the mountain and the place I am at all free and clear. I'm pretty sure shes saw a paper with finances on it too. Part 2 coming up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part 2
    She cried that she had been raped in the past, married 32 years and hubby was unfaithful, gonna get $million soon. blah blah blah. (Later found out her husband is getting an anullment and a few other pieces of info.) She is 52, told him she was 49. I am 65!!!
    I confronted them, stood between him and her and stated the glaring truth what she was. Even asked her how many times she has done this. (Later found out she "rented" a room from a man 68 or so and owed him a lot of money! Asked to move in with my husband!!) Anyway, as I was leaving she hollers "You didn't want him!" Evidently what he told her. I came back in her face. I don't know why I took the high road and didn't knock her out but I did. Later found out she was scared out of her gord of me. she did not have the right to ever assume what I wanted. Hubby hearing all of it. Hadn't fucked her yet but did that night. Why?? I had been paying all his bills, buying all the supplies he needed, food, gave him cash when he needed it. I did everything a wife does. He was supposed to get his head out of his ass and realize he was destroying our lives! Instead he really destroyed us. Next day he said he sent her away. I am sicker than a dog. Heart hurting, breathless, you all know the drill. One day later he texted her to leave her car home and he would come get her to have dinner with him and some friends from the mountain. Ended up fucking her again. I only found out when I checked his damn phone. Last time? I don't know for sure and never will. He went out and got another phone for a month. Would not let me see it that whole month. I broke down at some point, hospital ER one night, then a bunch of heart tests. Seems I have a very strong broken heart, WTH?
    I cry at least 1-2 hours every day now. Been 3.5 months and I am no more in control of myself then I was that night. We are back together. He has admitted what a stupid rotten turd he was. Have to admit he has begun to take the knocks when I throw them and that seems to be every day and twice a day on the weekend. I work days and he is working nights now. A good thing I think. I don't think he will ever really get it. I mean, how many times do I need to hear it? Right? I have read a lot here about all you very brave and strong women and how you still feel this punch in the gut. That it is going to take years likely. I'm thinking more because of the way he is. ADHD, narcissistic, maybe a bit bi-polar. But, I have realized I do still love him and don't want to be alone at this point in my life. But, I won't put up with the crap anymore. I want a post nuptial agreement. He has agreed to sin it. It will be in my favor for sure. He says he does not need to figure out why he made the choice to fuck her the night it was clear how I felt about him and her. I figure if he doesn't it might happen again. There is no way some slut is going to take what I have worked my whole life for. If it doesn't go to me it will go to our children.
    I know I did not explain this right. Most turds do it behind your back. He did it in my face. He thot I was not supporting him while he was going crazy. He pushed himself further and further away from me. I had no other choice. I wasn't safe. Now the pain I feel every waking moment is worse than anything he could have done to me back then. I can't type anymore. I feel so very lost and lonely and hurt and just dead. Dead inside. Like my whole life is over, a sham. I don't have the energy to get up and do it all again. I have broken a couple dozen canning jars one at a time. I ride my stationary bike daily while crying. I have aged at least another 5 years and I used to look young! Bags under my eyes. When will it get better? Or will it? Pain that makes me puke. I'm tired now. Full of rage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown, You have been through hell. I am so sorry. And yes, we all know the tears, the rage, the pain. If you don't have a therapist, please, please find yourself someone who can help you through this. You need support. And you need a sounding board as you learn to set boundaries and keep yourself emotionally safe while you work through this.
      And please keep reading here. There's a ton of great info and the women here, as you'll see in the comments, are smart and compassionate. You'll learn a ton from them.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails