Monday, September 10, 2018

When the Pain Is Unbearable


Like a movie I watched years ago, the details are mostly murky except for one vivid scene. There had been crying and yelling. I retreated to the bathroom off our master bedroom – the most private spot I could find to howl with rage and pain – and curled into a ball on the floor. I couldn't take it. Not for another minute, let alone the days, and weeks, and years, and lifetime I imagined stretched out, one agonizing day following another. 
I calculated the the number of pills available to me in a nearby drawer. A doctor had recently prescribed me some anti-anxiety pills and I considered their potential to stop my heart. Maybe if I washed them down with vodka.
I thought of my children downstairs. And of my mother, who spent five years in and out of psychiatric hospitals after various suicide attempts. No. I would not do that do my kids.
The rest of the scene grows vague again. I remember considering driving myself to the emergency room. Eventually I made an appointment with my therapist, which felt like a strong enough rope to hold me until I could see her. At that point in time, she felt, literally, like a lifeline. Her office meant safety. 
She also convinced me to begin taking anti-depressants. I fought against it. Until she explained that chronic stress literally changes our brain chemistry. My brain, she told me, wasn't working like it would under less difficult circumstances. I needed to help it start working properly again. She drew me a picture with neurons and serotonin and dopamine receptors. And so I said yes.
Those pills might have saved my life. 
But I know how tenuous that grip can feel, how tempting to just let it all slip away. To just...sleep. And never wake up.
We don't want to die. Not really. It just feels like the only exit we can imagine for ourselves. We want the pain to stop and we don't believe it ever will. We're suffocated by it. Rendered invisible in the darkness. Who is this stranger who used to be me?
I know. 
I also know this.
It doesn't last forever. 
Slowly, with time, sometimes with medication, and a commitment to not give up (except for those days when we give ourselves permission to rest), the pain begins to recede.
Our culture has such distorted ideas around suicide. Around medication. Around mental health. But let me tell you this: The strongest people I've ever met in my entire life are those who battle invisible demons just to get through a "normal" day. 
My daughter who wished herself dead rather than face another day of paranoia and delusions and terror when she was first experiencing bipolar disorder. Lithium has given her back her life and she's happier than she's ever been.
My younger daughter who wished herself dead rather than face another day of relentless obsessive-compulsive thoughts that had her changing her clothes repeatedly, unable to eat "contaminated" food, terrified of touching "germs". She relies on mindfulness and OCD therapy.
My mother who wished herself dead rather than face another day of failing to resist the vodka and the pills. Twelve-step groups were her saviour.
All survived because all asked for help. 
I asked for help.
It isn't easy. Our health care systems around the world fail far too many. The waits are too long. The medications too unpredictable. The doctors overworked. 
My family is lucky. We live in Canada with a socialized  healthcare system. Our city is noted for its hospitals. We are white middle-class with resources at our disposal. We have friends who are doctors and who gave us a roadmap for navigating the system. 
I'm loud. When my kids are hurting and desperate, I can be very very loud.
Be loud. 
Make your voice heard. You matter. I've never known anything with greater clarity than that. You matter. So do I. We all do. Every single sobbing one of us.
It doesn't matter if he thinks you matter. As I've said before, just because someone else doesn't recognize a diamond doesn't make it any less valuable.
If you need help, ask for it. Demand it. 
If you need medication, get it. There is no shame is using every tool in the toolbox to put yourself back together. 
And if you think you can't hold on another minute, do this: Call a suicide helpline and let them guide you to the resources you need. 

14 comments:

  1. thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So important. There are people in my life who need help. They need medicine, counseling, and to be able to admit they need help. But they can't, they are afraid of what that would mean--there is so much shame. When I was crawling on the bathroom floor, I knew I needed help. Since I was already publicly humiliated, I felt like I had no more shame. So asked for help. Sometimes people let me down, sometimes I embarrassed myself, but enough people cared and showed concern that I knew I was valued. I kept looking for help until I found it, even when all I had to keep my going was loving my children. I still keep looking for support when I need it and I am so glad that I do. I am happier than I have been in my entire life. I am sad about what has happened too, but much of my life has felt worthless until I started looking for help. Now many people in my life look at how resilient I have been and look to me for guidance and strength. I can speak my truth to others and not feel afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Elle, in my darkest day way back when I first found out he cheated 5 years ago, you were my saviour, this site kept me going but you mostly, you were there to listen to offer advice when no one else was, in the middle of the night when I needed to vent you were there ( the time difference helped with that) with me being in the uk.

    I’ll never be able to thank you enough Elle. Just know im probably here today because of you and your support .. I too felt like ending it all but I had my 5 month old layed on my lap looking at me, relying on me for his food, kisses and cuddles.

    Ladies take Elle’s advice and get help medication, therapy, exercise or whatever works for you take that step.. betrayal doesn’t kill us, it made me stronger much stronger .. thank you ladies xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elle thank you for this post! We lost our oldest sister after her years of attempting suicide and self medicating with pain killers! She was always a depressed person and even though she was a registered nurse, she chose street drugs rather than seeking help from the many doctors available to her! I miss her daily as I continue to make decisions for our mothers health care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post Elle. I also came very, very close to ending my life early on, before I found your blog. I have a stash of narcotics and alcohol is easy to buy and it would have been the "easy" way out of my pain. All I could think about was my newest little grand baby, born one week and two days after my D-day and how I would miss her growing up and how much she would miss all that I could share with her. To this day, this sweet now 3 year old, is the apple of my eye. She lights up when she sees me, we share giggles and nachos and hugs and seeing how far we can throw our kissed into the air and then catch them. I shudder to think how my daughter would have taken my death so soon after having her first child. So much love in my heart for my daughter and her first baby. They needed me so much and I was able to be there for them. That is how I saved my life. I wanted to live to see all this unfold and now, baby sister is due to arrive during the retreat. I will miss you all so much and will send warm vibes and hugs to all but now I get to spend a night with this now 3 year old when her mom goes to give birth and then I get to share/love all over again with her little sister. Thank you for the love, wisdom and smart words. Life is really worth living when you think about all that you have that is good and subtract the thing that causes you agita. Agita goes away with treatment but death is forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beach Girl. I'm so glad you are still here. xx
      I think a lot of us BW have wanted to end our lives....which I now know is to end the pain. It's the on going years of pain and triggers, even with my h out of my life. I know as Elle has said it takes time. Sometimes, time just moves too slowly and I want to get to that place where I have no memories of him.
      I too have been to that place of wanting to end it all quite a few times and even just recently, but I also have my beautiful kids to keep me going and I have to keep going for them,as I know if anything ever happened to me they'd be stuck with a dad that has shown he doesn't value his own children over his whore enough to be there for them and care for them. At times when I am feeling good and strong, I remind myself ex is not worth anything, and why would I take my life over such a worthless piece of shit (who is unfortunately still here breathing in this world) that can not see my worth, when there's a heap of other people that love me. I too wish I could have made it to the retreat, but I have ordered my book and when it arrives, I will wait for the weekend of the retreat to read, so I can feel part of you ladies that will be there through Elle's writing.
      Enjoy your new grandchild Beach Girl. Your kids and grand kids are lucky to have you with all the love and warmth you give to them.
      Hugs
      Gabby xo

      Delete
    2. Needless to say Beachgirl, I am so glad you are here to hold that new grandbaby. Still just selfishly upset you won't be at the retreat. Prayers that we have a house to go to for the retreat Praying for a calming of florence . Hugs to you BeachGirl.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Gabby and Steam. I am so happy to be here!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this. I think a lot of us probably entertained the idea of ending the pain even if briefly when we found out. I’ve always said my sunshine hysterical bonding baby saved me in so many ways. I certainly would have drank myself into oblivion if not for an immediate positive pregnancy test.

    I think a lot refuse to seek treatment out of fear. I know I’ve certainly expressed my fear of being judged when I lay out my story. I also know I’ve held off on making the call because I felt like I had to know what it was that I wanted to get out of counseling before I started. All of those are the anxiety and depression taking control.

    I’m thankful to be in a situation where I have mental health professionals in abundance. To have health care available. To have the financial means to seek help.

    I have the list narrowed down to ... time to make the call.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly you won’t regret going. If that therapist doesn’t work, move on. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Buy Elle’s book! It is amazing!
    Elle you need to change your pseudonym to Juicy Elle! I loved that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me I felt this way two to three years before dday. It was such a low point for me. I could not figure out why I felt the way I did. It was an all time low for me. I depended on my husband and his mental health profession etc and of course was gaslighted and told again that it was me, something was wrong with me, I complained, I could not handle things, something was always wrong with me... Typical. I had a plan, letters written out etc. Then he went on a long trip, his longest ever. He was gone for 10 days with limited contact. And besides dday it was such a major ah ha moment. I realized quickly that he was the problem. It was like this dark black cloud had lifted from our home/family. It was as if birds were singing. And the only change was he was not home. I realized I dreaded every time he came home. I did not talk to him much and that bothered him. He missed us "so" much all of a sudden. He got back and I tried talking with him and of course it went back to the same narrative. I should have sought help on my own but when you have a professional telling you what I was hearing I was confused. I did not understand any of this, I knew something was off. Well 2-3 years later on dday it was as if everything made sense. This was confusing for both of us but for me it was a huge relief. I finally had answers as to what had been going on for the past 10 years on and off. I also felt good that my gut was right. I did beat myself up for not figuring it out more but over time gave myself grace since he lied to me every single time until dday when questioned or confronted.

    So glad all of you are here. It means the world to hear "me too" and to have others to walk besides through this journey. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember, in the early days, trying to work out the logistics of how I could do it without hurting anyone else. I just could never come up with a scenario that wouldn't cause pain to someone else.... so I kept thinking and trying to figure it out each day. Somehow, after some time I started putting my energy into living instead as best as I could. I'm so glad I did! The shift happened as it just seemed impossible to check out since I had people depending on me (my son, parents, friends, my sister...). If I'd come up with a plan that took care of them, I'd be gone now and missing out on the joy I see all around me. I see suicide so differently now! Basically I have tons of empathy and figure they just landed on the best plan they could come up with without knowing the pain would eventually lift. I didn't know either, but just failed in the plan hatching department. (Lucky me!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pain can feel unbearable, the emptiness numbness and land of flatness maybe worse as you feel as though everything has been sucked out of you and that damn cold tiled bathroom floor can feel like super glue on your sobbing, fetal position and dry heaving body that wonders early on how you are even just still breathing? I promise you it wont last even in the moment if you cant fathom ever feeling again or wanting too? You will survive this, youll more than survive!!! your hearts wounded, but your not broken and all you have to do until you feel your strength and sparkle again is ... just show up ... right Elle and warrior wounded princesses... i so desperately needed to hear that 3 years, 4 mo ago when the nights drag on like a hole of darkness and the light of day seemed to blind my tired swollen eyes. While i never thought about killing myself the emptiness in not finding joy in anything even my childrens laughter was a scary and very lonely time. But then one day you get your self care in order and paint your toe nails and while the world still dull and unsettled you realize the warmth of the sun feels good, you belt out miranda lambert hits till it hurts, you cry and it happens .. you giggle again, smile and find joy in small doses. You start to live authentically and prioritize what you really want to be doing vs trying to live up to perfection.. because perfect is overated and tiring and control is an illusion. You become thankful for simple pleasures, take time to watch the sunset and let the laundry pile up or have frozen waffles for dinner because playing with the kids is much more important. Im not free from this shitshow my h created and i cant erase that it happened or all the years or wondered what was happening vs listening to my inner voice that something was off ... i can control me, my self care and boundries and i can let myself off the hook by staying in today vs overthinking the past or overplanning the future and i thank all of yiu beautiful souls for being here with me in the club noone wants to join but we are here and you all are rockstars, truly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails