Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Using your broken-ness to heal yourself and others

"We are never too broken to help other people,” she said. “That's probably one of the biggest lessons I've taken away.”
~Washington Post


"My advice to you is this – be kind – to yourself and to others. It is the simplest of remedies but remarkably effective. A small, bright act of kindness towards another human being is not only a gesture of existential hope, it also reconciles us with the world, and ultimately becomes the path to self-forgiveness."
~Nick Cave, The Red Hand Files

It's hard to sleep these days. News reports of caged children, of systemic racism, of environmental degradation often keep me wide-eyed and anxious. It's not unlike the early days post D-Day, though my concerns are more existential these days. Either way, however, it feels as though survival is no longer a guarantee. 


The antidote to my despair, I've discovered, is engagement. Not just any engagement – though a night spent among good friends absolutely helps – but going to where the need is great. Specifically, I've been involved for the past few years with various groups that help settle refugees in my city. (I'm in Canada, which opened its doors in the wake of the Syrian crisis and followed up by inviting more Yazidi people than any other country in the world.) 
I help them learn English, navigate the city, make doctors' appointments, get Internet service, source computers and clothing and toys. But mostly, I'm their friend at a point in their lives where they have few. 
What I've learned, apart from how similar we all are and how laughter transcends language, race, culture and age, is that kindness is, perhaps, the greatest force in the world. Not just to transform others' but ourselves.
I see it here, of course. I write often of how humbling and heartening it is to see each of you extend such kindness to others who wash up on our shores. But what you might not yet recognize is that by reaching out to another, by pulling her up, by sharing your story, by simply telling her that you heard her, that her story matters, you're healing yourself. Kindness is balm for the broken heart
It sounds a bit ridiculous, doesn't it? What possible difference can kindness from a stranger make when divorce looms, or gaslighting continues, or you're worried you'll lose your mom?
Except that kindness is ultimately all that matters. It may not be able to change the forces working against us but it can help us withstand them. Kindness tells us something important, something necessary for every single one of us to know: We matter. Our pain matters. We are worthy of kindness, of belonging, of love.
Healing can't happen without it.
So please know that your responses here matter. Indeed, they are what make this a safe, healing space. They remind each of us that out there – maybe across the world – a total stranger is moved by the pain we're in and wants to touch us, to assure us, to wrap us in warmth.
And please know that the kindness you extend, here and in real life, is more powerful than you might realize. When we remember back to the most challenging parts of our lives, those time when we weren't sure we could keep going, it is the kindness (or lack of) that we remember.
Your broken-ness doesn't make you less able to help others, it makes you more able. We use that broken-ness to show up for others, to lay bare our own pain. By showing our wounds, by witnessing others' wounds, we heal, inch by inch, heart by heart, betrayed by betrayed.

9 comments:

  1. Yes indeed! You and the ladies have brought me from a crumbling woman to a full fledged warrior and I feel like I have been preaching for my life about kindness and treat others like you need to be treated! Hugs to anyone reading for the first time! And those that have been here for the long haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa,
      You epitimize everything I wrote about. You are so often the first person to step up and say, "put down your pain. Rest. You are safe here." You are like the welcome wagon for this site. I should put you on the payroll (if I had a payroll! Or a budget!!). Thank-you for all you do. You make more of a difference than I think you know.

      Delete
  2. Elle, this is an amazing post. They all are, but this one really touched me. I had an ICN client call today and she told me that dealing with me helps her more than any therapist she has seen simply because I hear her and understand. I am humbled by her comment because I never truly realized the healing power in helping others going through the shit storm as much as I did today. You Elle, still standing 1, beach girl, all of you here have helped me in so many ways over the past 25 months and I will forever be grateful to you all. It's what got me where I am today...I love you ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliveme, I have such admiration for the work that you and the others at ICN do. It's heart-and-soul work. I'm so glad that woman was able to articulate that for you. I don't doubt that many of them feel it. But not all have the emotional clarity to be able to express it.

      Delete
  3. I remember just before moving across the country, a facebook friend's h was talking to his old girlfriend on line. This woman was clearly trying to start up something again, after all of these years and didn't care that he was married 30 years. Everyone on her page told her that she should kick him to the curb, get rid of him blah blah blah. I told her to wait until she calms down and talk to him. Yes it hurts but it will give her time think about what she wanted to say to him. I then posted on there that because these women posting on her page saying these things have no idea what they would truly do in this situation and listen to them. I was maybe 9 nine months out from dday. I could so feel her pain. I'm glad she listened to what I had to say because her and h never split up and h must of blocked her on facebook because she didn't talk about it after that. I'm grateful I found this page and now some people on twitter. Going on 4 years now I still get triggered but the healing power of talking to someone else really does help. Just having a place to tell your story helps others too. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great post and timely message again for all of us, seasoned betrayed partners and those who crawled here sobbing. (Michelle your FTS is still my favorite and I use it regularly in all kinds of situations both out loud depending on the situation and in my head for strength.) Our journey, yes, mine and my husbands has really made both of us into better people on so many levels. I recently hosted an old friend and her husband whom I've not seen in person for decades. They only stayed a few days but it was so obvious immediately that all was not well within their marriage relationship. It was painful to watch for both my husband and I. One day my husband took them off on a day drive to see some beautiful scenery and I stayed home to nap as I've been sick. My girlfriend told me later in confidence that my husband said in whatever context it happened, "I am the happiest I've ever been in my life. The last four years has been the best years of my life. I realized that I did not always treat my wife with respect and kindness and I've changed all that. She deserved better than she got from me and I'm going to spend the rest of my life making it up to her." Ummm, wow. She cried when she told me that. I did not tell him she told me but we did have a conversation that touched on what we both observed of their interpersonal relationship and he apologized again for treating me poorly in the past and I said, "I'm never going back there again. That was unacceptable then and remains unacceptable." He said, "You should never accept anything close to that from me or anyone ever again." It is true, I am happier now than I've ever been with him and although I still get twinges of pain from the past it is in the past and I'm living here in the present. I will never accept anything close to that again from anyone. Just unfriended my brother in law from FB yesterday too. FTS, Michelle! Happy 4th and love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you handle when the husband and the woman he cheated with have Youtube videos. When my husband cheated, he went away with her to a friend's event and the video was posted online since it was a public function. It is a business who has the video posted and obviously they won't take it down since they don't care a guy and his mistress are on the video. Also, the other woman has a "blog" that she posted pics of them from when they went away to an island together. He has asked her to remove it but obviously she refuses to. i'm trying my best to make it work but i hate that pictures of them are out there. I obsess about it, it makes me mad daily. I just don't know how to handle it. i feel like i'm going nuts. It gets so bad that I want to leave the relationship and think about it daily. I just don't know what to do. The affair occurred 2 years ago. we've been together for 3. He hasn't been with her since, as far as I know. Even after all this time I still get sick to my stomach over it and it seems like it will never end. I hate this so much. How do you handle it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I think this is where I'd consult an expert for help - someone who can offer concrete ways to get you over this sticking point. I completely understand why you're stuck because I've been there. But now, 12 years out, I can see that the photo has nothing to do with your present life. It's a relic from a horrible experience you don't want to revisit. You need to let go, which I know you know.
      Seriously...I'd try and find someone who can help. Either EMDR. Maybe hypnosis (a woman on this site swears by a guy who helped her get over her fear of flying). But for YOUR sake, it's time to release the hold this video has over you.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails