Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Guest Post: Six Things To Do With Your Formidable Post-Betrayal Anger

by Chinook

“Sometimes, you have to get angry to get things done.”- Ang Lee

 “I realized that if my thoughts immediately affect my body, I should be careful about what I think. Now, if I get angry, I ask myself why I feel that way. If I can find the source of my anger, I can turn that negative energy into something positive.”- Yoko Ono


Fury. Rage. Indignation. Ire. When we discover that we have been betrayed, anger burns with a power that is astonishing and fearsome. Here are three ways to harness it—and three ways to avoid letting it do harm.


1.    Let it protect you (at first).

When I first uncovered my husband’s affair, I was in complete shock. I had known that something was terribly wrong in my marriage and had gone so far as to ask if he was having an affair, but when he denied any impropriety, I believed him. Anger, in those first twelve hours, was the territory occupied by my closest friends, whom I contacted right away; not by me. But as the numbing shock wore off, their anger began to spread through me too and soon, I was alight with fury.

People describe having out-of-body experiences when they are being forced to experience something too traumatizing to endure. I believe that anger can, in the early days, be similarly protective. When we are on the verge of being smothered by the pain, anger can swoop in and set us ablaze, and save us.

Women are socialized not to feel anger. But I call bullshit on that. When we have been wronged, anger is exactly the correct emotion to feel.


2.    Let it motivate you (in the right direction).

Anger is a shockingly motivating emotion. When it coursed through me, when I saw red, I had to do something to get it out of my body. I took up high-intensity exercise. But because I couldn’t hit the gym every time rage seized me, I also developed a list of labor-intensive chores that would engage my body and mind. I turned to these when fury started to swallow me up. I raked leaves. I swept the deck. I chopped wood. I cleaned out the fridge. I purged items from the closets and hauled them to Goodwill. 

These actions allowed me to harness the energy of the anger. They left me feeling less restless inside, and gave me a more tidy, clean, peaceful environment in which to dwell.


3.    Let it teach him (and you).

We feel anger when our boundaries have been violated. We feel anger when injustice has been done. Anger was one hell of an indicator for my husband. My anger made it very, very clear to him that his actions, which he had been justifying to himself for weeks, were profoundly unjustified. 

My anger was also an indicator to me. I found myself raging to a friend that if anyone should have had an affair it was me, given that my husband had spent years underinvesting in our marriage, forcing me to be the one who kept our relationship on track. After I said it, I paused. I hadn’t fully realized how resentful our marriage dynamic had made me until I hurled those words out into the world.

Pay attention to your anger. It is a flashing arrow, pointing towards specific tender spots, injustices, or insecurities that you might not even have realized were there.


4.    Force it to submit to reason.

“Don’t do anything crazy” is some excellent advice I read in several different places after I uncovered my husband’s affair. Anger is so powerful that it can drive us to do “crazy” (i.e., reckless and misguided) things we would never otherwise do. Things we will very likely regret once the anger fades. These include engaging in physical violence, destroying his property, having a revenge affair, or smearing his reputation. Bad-mouthing the cheater to children is an especially misguided and harmful thing to do.

When you are seeing red, it can be hard not to give in to vengeful impulses. But resist.


5.    Prevent it from rewiring your brain.

I used to think that when a person felt anger, venting that anger was an important way of purging it from one’s body and mind. But that is actually scientifically incorrect. In fact, the more you think something or feel something, the more you strengthen the neural pathways that lead to that thought or feeling. 

Imagine it snowed heavily last night and you are standing at your back door. At one side of the backyard is the woodpile. At the other is your Zen meditation zone. Everything is covered in a lovely thick blanket of snow. You decide to go over to the woodpile and kick it to release your anger. You stomp out, do it, and come back. It feels good. You decide to do it again. And again. And again. Now look down at the ground. There’s a well-worn path to the woodpile. There is nothing leading to the meditation zone.

Every time rage washed over me, I allowed myself to feel my anger fully—for one minute. Then, I took measures to prevent it from taking up residence in my brain by forcing my thoughts and feelings elsewhere. 

My mind is like an art gallery and I am the curator of what is on display.


6.    Let it go.

I am grateful to the formidable anger that inhabited me in the first few days after D-day. It was there to protect me and to teach me. But anger can quickly become toxic, and I did not want to be an angry person. 

I also knew deep down (very deep down) that holding on to anger would not keep me safe, which meant that releasing it would not place me in danger.

Letting go of my anger is not something that happened naturally over time—I had to really work at it. It was a long and slow and boring process that involved meditation and journaling and therapy and simply making the hard choice, over and over, to not allow anger to linger in my heart or in my mind. There was no discernable benefit for a long time. 

And then, eventually, there was.

In yoga, there are several warrior poses. Warriors I and II (virabhadrasana I and II) look the most impressive, with their raised arms and steady, fierce gazes. But the one that’s hardest to hold is the one entitled Peaceful Warrior (shatni virabhadrasana). When you move into this position, you make yourself defenseless. One hand rises upwards and slightly back while the other slides down the back leg. The heart and the throat are wide open, exposed. 

To the outside world, it looks graceful. Only the Peaceful Warrior herself knows how much effort that apparent effortlessness requires.


5 comments:

  1. People harness their anger if different ways. Some, full steam ahead and use their anger to fuel their life into action, some can also get crippled and depleted by their anger into inaction.
    Each reacts differently according to their own life.
    All our anger in being betrayed is justified - in my books.
    My complete anger and outrage at my ex betrayals was all consuming at times. This has subsided some. I still get angry/annoyed/pissed off with what he has done and how his flying monkeys have supported him, but I also have let all these toxic shitty people go from my life. They haven't changed. I am just so glad to be out of living amongst such shitty humans who seem incapable of change.
    Hugs and peace sisters
    Gabby xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has been "niggling" at me since I read it a few days ago. I think it has forced me to recognise two things.

    The first is my lack of anger in all this. I have become so used to disclosures throughout our relationship, each time escalating in severity, that when the final D Day hit July 2017, I was angry for maybe a day or so, I cried for maybe a few hours, but mainly I was numb. I have tried so hard to connect with the hurt, and to feel my emotions - I have had hours of therapy, including EMDR for repressed emotions, but it seems they won't come for any real length of time. I am starting to accept that, but it does mean that without me being able to outwardly show my hurt, my H struggles to really show the depths of remorse I might have hoped for, as he cant "see" how much it has affected me.

    Which brings me to the second, and harder-to-swallow realisation. I realise that I have spent the past two years forging horrid neural pathways. I drive through town, I search for the OW face. We have a period of being close and connected, I think of all the crappy things he has done. Every photo triggers me to think "what was he doing that year?". I just dont seem to be able to allow myself to be happy. I realised reading this post, that unless I change that, it isnt going to change itself. And that is so hard. I am torn. I dont want to stay bitter, miserable, constantly remembering all the hurt... but I also dont feel ready to let it go. It feels like some sort of betrayal to myself to say "Im ok to be happy with this man".

    I feel so stuck. Things aren't bad enough to quit, but I feel like Im somehow sabotaging them from changing from fairly rubbish, to being good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ali,
      What I read in your comment here is incredible self-judgement. You don't seem to think you're feeling angry enough, or are sad enough, or are healing "right". And I think, perhaps, it would help to release yourself from any expectation that there's a "right" way to do this. It's uncharted territory for most of us. Grief shows up in many very different ways. Trauma shows up in many very different ways.
      So...you get to acknowledge that this has been deeply painful to you despite that lack of outward anger, or despite the lack of endless tears. You get to frame your feelings in the way that feels honest to you. And if your husband needs you to cry and rage in order to recognize how deeply he's hurt you, then it sounds as if, maybe, he doesn't know you very well.
      As for being happy, there's no prescribed time for feeling miserable. And, frankly, even when we feel healed, there will be times when this rears its ugly head. When the pain shows up, again, to remind us. And that's pretty normal too.
      Ali, you've done a lot of work to heal from this. That's awesome. And maybe it's time to stop beating yourself up and start akcnowledging your deep reservoir of strength and resilience. Perhaps that's built up from years of being mistreated. I don't know your history. But it's there. And it can serve you in healthy ways -- by helping you set boundaries, and by allowing you to feel happy again because you know you can trust yourself to keep yourself safe. Not that he won't cheat again...but that you are clear on what you will and will not tolerate from people in your life.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Ali,

      My heart ached for you when I read this part: "I have become so used to disclosures throughout our relationship, each time escalating in severity". No wonder you feel numb. You needed to pull numbness around you like a shield. And yet here you are: in touch with your emotions, reflecting on your path, moving forward with courage and wisdom. Please take a moment and congratulate yourself on the strength within you. Seriously! Do it!

      With respect to neural pathways, there's a big difference between experiencing triggers on the one hand and making the choice to pain shop on the other. I don't know a lot about your situation but what you are describing sounds like hypervigilance ("I search for the OW face") and triggers. If you didn't have triggers, you wouldn't be human. If you didn't react to them, you wouldn't be human. And hypervigilance is a reaction to emotional trauma and is really normal after a betrayal. It's our brain’s way of trying to protect us—of seeing the pain coming before it hijacks us.

      Feelings are like fires – we can fuel them or let them go out. Pain shopping, which Elle has written about beautifully, and playing mind movies are ways of stoking the pain. Personally, I’m guilty of dwelling in self-pity. If you realize now that you’ve been stoking the wrong fires, that’s okay – just change it. Please don’t beat yourself up if you realize now that some choices you’ve made over the past two years didn’t ultimately take you in the direction you needed to go it. None of us showed up on D-Day already equipped with a PhD in Flawless Betrayal Recovery. All of us are healing and learning at the same time.

      Speaking of the fires we stoke, when you write "I just don’t seem to be able to allow myself to be happy", do you mean in your relationship? Or in general? Are you afraid that allowing yourself to feel happy will make you vulnerable to more pain? As Brené Brown has written about, we can't protect our hearts from pain by preventing ourselves from feeling joy.

      I encourage you to grab onto every single wisp of “solo” happiness (i.e., happiness that pops up outside of the relationship) when it presents itself. Your source of happiness might be your time with friends or kids or pets, it might be the weather, it might be a hobby or career or academic success, or it might be a pleasurable sight or taste. Rick Hanson, in his book “Resilient”, writes about how to make this happiness “stick” with you. He’s also written a bit about it here: https://www.rickhanson.net/take-in-the-good/. Basically, you first recognize it’s happening (“hey! I’m feeling kind of happy!) then you really make yourself stay with the moment, noticing all the details and textures of it, then you lock it in to your memory, in whatever way you think is most likely to make it “stick”.

      As far as grabbing onto the good in your relationship, you write that you “don’t feel ready to let it [sadness] go. It feels like some sort of betrayal to myself to say "I’m ok to be happy with this man". Ali, I hear you on this one. I have no advice. What works for me (most of the time) is to remind myself that nothing I feel now will protect me from the pain of my husband having cheated. I can feel happy now and he still cheated, or I can feel sad now and he still cheated. He cheated. That’s not going away. Another thing that helps is reminding myself that the guy who cheated is disappearing in the rear-view mirror and the guy standing before me is an increasingly different man.

      It sounds like you are doing much better than you give yourself credit for, Ali.

      Remember: You are writing the story of your recovery from your husband’s betrayal, and the hero of this story is you.

      Delete
    3. Ali
      My anger didn’t surface for two years but in our case the crazy ow wouldn’t leave us alone...it took a court order and I believe that’s what sent me into the anger faze. I couldn’t believe how stupid my h was to have the affair but that his choice of the ow was a batshit crazy woman that was also a therapist and she just knew what my h needed and it was a divorce but he didn’t want to divorce us so instead he went the extra mile to clean up the mess he made...it’s not been a very easy road but we’re finally finding the right path and he had to endure so much of my rage and finally I got tired of raging. I didn’t forgive him for the way he allowed her to abuse me in the process at first but I did slowly forgive him once he did the hard work to make sure that she couldn’t keep me in the midst of believing her instead of him. Nothing changes the fact that he chose to cheat but he did choose to change in remarkable ways to make me believe that he wanted us and the memories of our relationship. Married 40 years and I damn sure didn’t want to start over but was very prepared to if he couldn’t do anything for our relationship to survive. I’m one of the few that had a very remorseful spouse that went through a hellofa midlife crisis...sending you hugs and strength to follow your heart and path your way!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails