Monday, March 18, 2019

"Vengeance is a lazy form of grief"

I am away on holiday and won't be responding to comments. A good friend of the site, however, will be moderating comments and ensuring that yours get posted so please don't hesitate to respond. I have scheduled some posts. I'll be back, with hopefully a spring in my step, by March 22. 


*******************************************

Everyone who loses somebody wants revenge on someone, on God if they can’t find anyone else. But in Africa, in Matobo, the Ku believe that the only way to end grief is to save a life. If someone is murdered, a year of mourning ends with a ritual that we call the Drowning Man Trial. There’s an all-night party beside a river. At dawn, the killer is put in a boat. He’s taken out on the water and he’s dropped. He’s bound so that he can’t swim. The family of the dead then has to make a choice. They can let him drown or they can swim out and save him. The Ku believe that if the family lets the killer drown, they’ll have justice but spend the rest of their lives in mourning. But if they save him, if they admit that life isn’t always just… that very act can take away their sorrow.
~Nicole Kidman in The Interpreter

We sometimes talk in code. A few other infidelity bloggers and writers and therapists and betrayed partners say things like "they're so...angry" and "they kinda scare me". We're referring to a portion of the infidelity Internet that traffics in rage, that insists on one response to betrayal, that dismisses anyone who pleads for nuance. We don't want to name names but...
"Vengeance is a lazy form of grief."
I knew I objected to the black-and-white approach to cheating. It's a blessing and curse of mine to always ALWAYS be able to see the other's point of view. And I know how infuriating that can be when what so many of us want is to be told that we're right. We're right to think he's not worth our time. We're right to throw him out. We're right to file for divorce immediately.
And, thing is, sometimes we are. Sometimes.
But "sometimes" doesn't cut it. People want absolutes, especially when we're reeling from news of our partner's betrayal. We want certainty. We want a community that will assure us that he'll cheat on us again so it's better to dump him now. We want a mob that will call for his head. Only a fool would give him a second chance. 
We want his head on a stick.
I know. I did too.
Except that I also didn't. Yes, he had betrayed me in the worst possible way, for years. And yes, there were many people who thought me a complete fool to even consider rebuilding a marriage with him. How much proof did I need that he was a cheater, destined to continue cheating? 
But...
He was the father of my three small children. He was my friend. He was my husband. 
All of that remained true, even as I wanted to strangle him with my bare hands. 
It wasn't until I cleansed myself of that desire for revenge that I believe I began to heal. And healing began with grieving. 
We'll do almost anything to avoid grief, won't we? We'll busy ourselves. We'll stoke our own rage. It feels so much more productive, so much more empowering to plan a takedown of a villain than to grieve a loss. Grieving feels passive. It feels pathetic. 
And yet, I know of no other path toward wholeness and healing. 
Those who let themselves grieve eventually discover that it guides them to an exit door. Those who don't remain stuck. Ever talked to a friend whose divorce was finalized six years ago and she's still cataloguing her ex's faults? Or the person fired from a job whose hatred of his manager burns as hot as ever? That anger that feels like empowerment is an illusion. Rage doesn't fuel us, it eventually consumes us. 
None of this is to say that anger isn't warranted. Being cheated on can trigger the deepest fury. I don't think I've ever felt so angry. And, trust me, if a genie had arrived offering me vengeance, I wouldn't have hesitated.
Time, however, has tempered that fury. And, assuming you're not feeding your own rage, it will temper yours too.
Also...know this: Behind anger is usually a deep well of grief. But we're so afraid of grief that we never pull off its mask. 
Go ahead. Trust that you will not drown in grief but you might strangle yourself with anger. Beyond that anger, that masquerading grief, is peace. Reach for it.

8 comments:

  1. It's interesting how much the idea of karma or "karmic justice" has been showing up in my periphery lately. I read on Twitter a couple of people talking about who they are waiting for karma to "land" on the OW, who seem to get to go on with their merry lives without a consequence. I didn't feel up to explaining in 180 characters of less, that this is not how karma works. Karma is not about justice or some universal power meting out vengeance on our behalf, or righting some wrong we perceive. Karma is all about the lessons that life has to teach us. It's the idea that we will keep on making the same choices and mistakes until we learn the thing we need to learn, learn to do differently.
    So in that sense, karma has already landed on the OW. They are already deep in the shitty choices and mistakes they are going to keep repeating until they learn something different. Imagine being so selfish, so hurt, flailing so hard, that you can't make better choices for yourself, that it is easier to inflict harm on others that to sit with your own self. I wouldn't want to be them.
    The other thing I want to say to the folks on Twitter, and its the same thing I tell myself and my kids: don't compare your real, messy, authentic life with someone else's Facebook/Instagram life. It's all fake news. The OW, who we already know to be all jacked up inside, clearly has a habit of fantasy and fairly tale telling. So why are we going to believe her when she posts about how great her life is? It's a mask, a shell, a con game. And sadly, she's not even convincing herself.
    I want to tell the folks on Twitter to stop wasting your precious, precious energy wishing bad karma, wishing for vengeance on the OW. Instead spend yourself, on yourself. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SS1 my desire for "Karma" was slated one night when I started to think about WTF I must have done to deserve this hell that I was unceremoniously dropped into.

      I learned a month ago that the OW is divorcing her husband. It sent me into a spiral because I've struggled with being the chosen one since WH didn't end his affair ... she did. I've always worried that if she was available he would leave.

      Part of me is saddened. Because one of the reasons I didn't call/text/e-mail/go see her spouse was because of their daughter. I refused to be the person who put that demon in her daughter's life.

      But ... I am digging your take on Karma ... the OW obviously is wallering in her filth.

      So if WH decides to leave ... he can join his swine. Because really, it's what he would deserve.

      Delete
    2. Kimberly, as you know, you've done nothing to deserve this. not one thing. But finding out the OW is divorcing probably feels like your worst nightmare come true. I'm sure it was very triggering.
      But here's the thing. Its not your worst nightmare. It's the stories we create around events that scare us. None of which are true or are really happening. The only thing you know is that she's divorcing. Who knows and who cares why. Maybe her H knew the whole time and just couldn't get past it because she's not really put in the work. Maybe shes imploding even more. who knows. None of it is really something you need to spend your time on.
      If possible, try to minimize how much info you get about her. Stop seeing her on social media. Cut yourself off from news source about her. You will be better for it. (I have to do the same thing with my ex. well meaning folks (?) want to gossip to me about his latest break up or whatever and I've gotten to the point where I tell folks "I'm happier and healthier not paying too much attention to what he does, so I'd rather not know, thank you" And it's true.)
      Also, have you spoken to your H about this latest fear and how you are feeling? Are you guys in therapy together where a skilled person can help guide you through? What are the ground rules you have in place about no contact etc? If there is a risk she reaches out to him, do you two have a plan in place for how he will handle that (i.e. tell her he's committed to making his marriage work and not interested in further contact, and then tell you about it).
      If you haven't, go and find Elle's post on the OW "she's got nothing you want" it was a game and brain changer for me. I began to see her as a broken, damaged person rather than this larger than life, gorgeous fitness model I could never compete with (turns out she has/had massive issues including alcoholism, sooo...)
      And finally, I know you are so uncertain and feel so powerless. Take some power back. If you haven't already, go have a free consult and get an idea of what your financial picture would be like if YOU decide you've had enough. Have your exit strategy lined up. Will you ask him to move out while you and the kids stay in the house? Etc. (I think Elle has a post on here about that too).Not that you ever have to use it, but it gives you a sense of being in charge of your life that passively waiting fr him to leave doe snot offer.
      Meanwhile, be kind and gentle with yourself. News like that has a way of hitting close to home and shaking us, because it feels like the thing we fear is coming to pass. It's not. And from my own experience, sometimes the thing we fear turns out to be really good for us. It goes back to that idea of karma, where we've got things to learn.
      Sending big hugs your way, Kimberly.

      Delete
  2. You read those post too. The OW doesn't care what she does to us or our family. She selfish and only thinks about herself. But on thing I will add, when they have something to protect they will go to extreme measures to make sure no one get's close to them. I like how you stated Karma. I've had to learn how to live in the present. It's been a struggle. I'm not sure I every wanted "Vengeance" she already was living in her own Karma. I guess what I felt was pity for her but I also wanted to understand why she felt the need to go after my h the way she did. When I confronted her regarding putting drugs in my h coffee she point blank stated to me that "I will never know the truth of what she did". I realized months after that that she was just an evil person who lives in some fantasy world and has many followers that protect her. Sadly it took almost 3 years to get past wanting to know and concentrate on myself and my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I think you are doing incredibly and in the face of some really extra, extra crazy from the OW. I'm glad you see her as an object of pity because I am guessing she is carrying some horrible damage that goes back generations. That doesn't make doing what she did to you and your family OK. It doesn't mean you haven't had to walk this long path of healing with your H. I think sometimes, those almost sociaopathic (I hate to use those labels, but she seem like an outlier) people also have a weird charisma about them and are good at manipulation. Thus the strange pack of loyal followers.
      I'm glad to hear that you feel focused on yourself and your family. Keep on moving away from that past point in time. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Karma
    It's a big load of crap. My ex deserves a ton of karma, but will probably never get it. Along with so many others I know that deserve karma, they will not get any.
    People keep telling me "you mark my word. He'll get his karma, even if it's in 30 years."
    Well in 30 years he'll be an old man and will have lived his life his way without a care for anyone else. Where's the karma?
    I'm pissed off, I'm angry, and I'm in a hell of a lot of pain and quite frankly, having a hard time justifying being in this shit world at present.
    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabby, I'm sorry you're hurting right now. And yeah, I know it can feel so unfair. We do the right things, we try and live with a moral compass and it seems as though those who break the rules and care for nobody come out on top.
      But I ask this: Would you want to live like that? Would you want to be in that headspace? Cause I know I wouldn't. I'm just wired differently. So...you've got to be you.
      Sit with that pain beneath your anger. Cause that's what your anger is -- hurt turned outward. Trust that you can bear it. Write it out. Run it out. Cry it out. And then...wait. Cause relief is coming. But you won't get it from paying attention to the idiots who hurt you. It will come when you focus on you, when you can truly know that no matter how much it hurts being you right now, it's a whole let better than being them.

      Delete
  4. Gabby, I'm sorry you are so hurting and angry and in pain right now. I wish I could take it from you. If I could hold it all for you, so you could have a moment's peace, I would. I wish I could show you how to let go of this man and the wish that he should hurt as much as he hurt you. There's no map and it is different for each of us.
    The best kind of vengeance is where we make our lives so great (really, truly deeply satisfying to ourselves and not some social media, facebook bullshit happy) that we no longer care about our shitty exes or the other people who have hurt us. Where we are so far past it, they are not even a blip in the rear view mirror. Gabby, don't waste another precious second of your life on this man. He, like the OW, does not deserve your time or attention.
    I work pretty hard to keep my ex out of my life and out of my head. It's worth the effort, the less I think about him, the more I focus on me and making the life I want, the happier I am. I tell well meaning friends that I'd rather not have updates. I try not to have too much contact and have plans out of the house when he is coming here to spend time with our son. And I've made it clear to my kids that they are always free to talk to me about what they are feeling, but less detail about their dad is healthier for me. And they get it. And when I get to ruminating, or old photos or something set me off, I try to use the same techniques I used to interrupt the mind movies to interrupt those thoughts as well.
    I'm not telling you not to have your feelings. Those are real and are here for a reason. Grieve, be angry, feel all the things and get them out. Do it to make room for new things.
    When was the last time you gave yourself a compliment, told yourself you were doing ok, looked in the mirror and said, "You're alright. I like you." How are you talking to yourself? Please be kind and gentle with yourself Gabby. Sending you all kinds of hugs and support and a nice hot cup of tea. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails