Monday, March 8, 2021

Coming out of a pandemic is not unlike coming out of betrayal

Grief metastasizes when neglected. I have experienced it in the form of full body-wracking sobs when a song comes on the radio, and in dreams I wake up from with tears streaming down my face — but also in shitty behavior towards boyfriends and friends, in steaming, misdirected anger, in embarrassment and jealousy and shame. Processing loss entails acknowledging so much more than sadness.

~Anne Helen Peterson, Culture Study


"No, I'm not ready," says writer Anne Helen Peterson, about our imminent emergence from pandemic lockdown. 

As I read her newsletter about the jumble of emotions she's experienced this past unprecedented-in-our-lifetimes year of global grief, it reads like a survival guide to infidelity too. The confusion, the loss of something difficult to name, the fear, the suspicion, the occasional unexpected euphoria. She categorizes all of it under a block-letter heading: TRAUMA. And that's true for those of us emerging from betrayal too. It doesn't matter if our trauma feels small and insignificant – we didn't experience sexual assault, or war, for instance – it nonetheless registers in our psyche. As Peterson writes, "Processing loss entails acknowledging so much more than sadness."

We need a vocabulary for infidelity. It's part of why I organized Encyclopedia for the Betrayed as, well, an encyclopedia. An A to Z examination of infidelity because it's hard to process an experience for which we lack the words. Loss is so much more than sadness.

What's more, like our feelings around this past year of lockdown and mask wars and concern for people we often don't give a second thought (grocery store workers, for instance), it can feel so destabilizing. I often cried at the strangest times – the cereal aisle at the grocery store – and other times felt long stretches of nothing when crying would have convenient. This past year has felt similar. I ache at odd moments and feel numb at others. I snap at my children when I'm angry with the anti-maskers jeopardizing the health of my 91-year-old father. 

So much more than sadness.

It's a comment I read often on this site, a sort of confused, "I'm beginning to feel better but am terrified" plea for explanation. 

I felt it then, when I, too, was emerging from betrayal, when I was beginning to live again rather than simply survive each day – and I'm feeling it now with news of friends being vaccinated, with my father's first vaccination, with promises that I, too, have a vaccination in my not-too-distant future. On the one hand, hurray! On the other, terror. What will this new world look like when we venture back into it? So much has changed. Everything, in fact.

See what I mean? It's hard to discern whether I'm talking about emerging from betrayal or from the pandemic. 

For me, healing from betrayal is far behind so what looms ahead is emerging from the pandemic. And the approach I plan to take, outlined by Anne Helen Peterson, is one I urge you all to take as well, emerging as many of you are from twin traumas: betrayal and pandemic.

It's an approach I took instinctually way back when: To move forward at my own pace. To pay close attention to what I could manage and what I could not. To listen to my body. To honor my needs. To curate my life with an intentionality that was new to me. Yes, to this event. No, to that one. Yes, to keeping this friend in my life. No, to that one.

Peterson puts it this way: "We can start clearing trail for our paths away from this pandemic year. We just have to make them meandering, with ample stops for rest. We will be collectively discombobulated and bewildered, working through layers of bittersweetness, anxious and angry and thrilled. Our post-pandemic selves will continue multitudes, and I cannot wait to get reacquainted with myself, with all of you. But it’s okay that I’m not there, not quite yet.'

It's okay that you're not there, not quite yet. You must allow yourself to rest. To heal on your timeline, not anyone else's. You, too, are working through layers of bittersweetness, anxiety and anger. And, perhaps, you're also experiencing a certain euphoria too. You, like all of us, contain multitudes. You, too, are getting reacquainted with yourself. Don't rush it. You deserve all the time you need. 



4 comments:

  1. Thank you Elle for this wonderful piece!

    My H and I have reflected often over the last year on how the previous 18 months (our window post D-day and pre-COVID)had unexpectedly prepared us for what we were facing during the pandemic. Of course it was still difficult in so many ways, but I believe I have supported myself and my loved ones through the myriad of feelings (uncertainty, fear, isolation, hopelessness, etc...) with more compassion and empathy than I perhaps would have been able to before D-day.

    Maybe I'm being naive, but my hope is that, after experiencing something on such a global scale, our societies may emerge, making room for a form of "emotional revolution". A revolution where we make learning about healthier ways of living through trauma, grief and loss a priority. A revolution where these feelings are openly named, honoured and healed from, not run from. These conversations happen mainly in specific contexts and circumstances (like this amazing blog!), but they need to be happening in every facet of life, as no one gets through theirs without some amount of emotional hardship.
    I know I wish that society (from the larger media, right down to the humans we interact with directly) showed more understanding and compassion for those who experience intimate betrayal. Maybe these conversations will help us get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calluna,
      Oh, how I hope so too!! I heard it referred to as a shift from a greed-based society to a care-based society. Wouldn't that be incredible. The role we play is exactly what you have done. To extend compassion and empathy, rooted in our muscle memory of needing exactly that when we were in pain. We either transform our pain or we transmit it, right?
      I don't think you're naive at all. I think it's dreams like yours that move us closer to a reality like that.

      Delete
  2. Maybe this isn't the right post for this but this is what poured out of me today. I feel quite lost today. My H has a no contact order now. I am very volatile today.

    A long while ago I/we were meandering down a path with small pebbles and medium size rocks in the way but I/we navigated over or around them. There were also large boulders that I/we navigated. Up ahead I/we spied a river. It's roar got louder and more ominous as we got closer. I/we grew afraid and apprehensive the closer we got. When I got close enough I saw that there was a lost blonde soul smiling in the middle waving for help or so it seemed. As I was working hard to come up with a solution that would get us on the other side of this raging river, my husband of 41 years dove in head first. I took a quick breath in and held it for a spell. He was having fun in the waves and rapids and foaming waters. My heart sank as he helped the lost soul and himself to the other side. He smiled at me and waved as he turned to help the poor helpless soul.
    My breath grew quicker, my gut hurt like I had been punched hard and my heart was pumping so fast it hurt. He looked back at me again and waved me over. He then turned his back and started walking with the helpless blonde by his side. All these years before the river weren't easy but he never turned his back on me. I don't know what to do so I fall down and cry. I reach my arms out for him to help me pick myself up to get across the river but all I could see was his back as he spoke to the blonde. Soon his arm was around her. My breath grew quicker, my gut hurt like I had been punched hard and my heart was pumping so fast it hurt. I had no way across without his help and he just turned his back on me. What do I do? I felt a major part of me was dying and I couldn't do anything about it! It hurt so very bad!
    As they walked he looked back less and less. I see there is a spring in his step as he works his way down the path on the other side. They hid in the woods a few times, out of sight. They were having all kinds of fun using all my things, the things I had used to keep us together and healthy. Then he stopped looking back. It wasn't long before I could tell I was being replaced in his life.
    After a very lonely and painful period of time he pushed her away and I could tell he was shouting. Lost and alone I sit there with tears running down my cheeks, pain in my gut making we wretch and the most heavy heart I have ever felt. Once again, he turns and waves me over. He is no longer smiling. I start to crawl forward with one arm out, reaching for him to help. That's when I hear it. "Get over it! Let's move on and love each other!" I look down and my feet are cut off and there is blood oozing from my chest. This goes on until all I have is a red chest attached to my head. I'm all wrinkled in the face and it's obvious I can't do this on my own. Still he waves me on.
    The rest of this story is being written as I sit here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MissMiss,
      Your pain is palpable. Your feeling of being left behind, abandoned, betrayed. It's excruciating.
      But I want to remind you of something. This is the story you are telling yourself. I don't know your exact situation but the story you are telling yourself centers your husband, not you. What's YOUR story? What if you're the heroine who saves herself? What if, instead of focusing on him and what he's doing, you tell yourself a story that centers you and your strengths? This isn't, of course, to minimize your pain. I know it all too well. But I also know that when we stop handing over our power, we realize that we actually have quite a lot of it. Use it well.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails