Friday, April 30, 2021

When the Past is Alive

 Most of us look at our past as...the past. As in yesterday's news. Been there and done that. Maybe we learned a lesson or two.

But for some of us, those of us marked by trauma, the past isn't behind us. Or at least, it's not always behind us. Sometimes it's right beside us. Sometimes it's right inside us. 

The past, for some of us, is alive. That's how Bessel van der Kolk describes it in his bestselling The Body Keeps the Score. And that's how he explained it to Kate Bowler on her amazing podcast, Everything Happens

If you haven't watched Bowler's TedTalk, please do. Right now. It details how Bowler was diagnosed with cancer. Far too young. Far too frightening. And that experience took her out of her conviction that everything happens for a reason and left her stranded at everything happens. 

We know that place, don't we? Betrayal. The place where awful things can happen for absolutely no good reason at all. Or at least no reason that makes sense, that we're willing to accept. And no, "my husband is an idiot" isn't a palatable reason for infidelity. Neither is, "to teach us something," even if this pain does, in fact, often teach us something. 

But back to Ver Der Kolk. He was on Bowler's podcast to talk about trauma, which is his speciality. Bowler herself experienced trauma when sick, when she discovered that the doctors she turned to for healing weren't available to her unless her insurance company said they were. She felt betrayed and abandoned by a system she had believed had her back. 

Yeah, I saw the parallels too.

And I felt such recognition when van der Kolk said for those of us who've experienced trauma, "the past is alive". The way he describes it is that trauma shows up in our bodies in a way that feels immediate. We're walking along the street and notice a man who reminds us our abusive father. We don't think to ourselves, "that guy looks like Dad", our bodies flood. Our breath becomes shallow. Our vision narrows. We want to fight. Or flee. Or freeze. Sometimes, when it's someone with whom we have a relationship, we want to fix. 

All trauma responses. All alive. All immediate.

As van der Kolk puts it, "Before too long everything sort of starts disintegrating because your whole body keeps behaving as if you’re back there again."

Back there again. In the past. Except it's our present. And so we dissociate from our bodies. Our brain tries to tell us we're safe. The danger is past. But our bodies are saying, no way. Don't believe you.

Reconnection is the way out of this past-present. Putting our brains and our bodies back on the same team. For van der Kolk, that path is through movement. Yoga. Martial arts. Dancing. It's about being alive, he says: "...your body is both a source of pain and a source of pleasure. So if you if you cut off sensation your body, which many times traumatized people do somewhat successfully, you also cut off your avenues for pain and for pleasure and for change reality and feeling satisfied and feeling alive."

The key is re-embodiment. Finding our way back to our bodies. Integrating those trauma experiences into our present so that we can examine them as what happened (past), not what's happening (present).

I turned to EMDR many years ago, which is something else van der Kolk recommends. It's feels very hocus-pocus-y but, let me tell you, it worked for me and for so many others with whom I've spoken about it. 

In the meantime, be gentle with yourself. Find something that reconnects you with your body. Yoga worked for me though there were times when, on the mat, I felt so vulnerable and naked and scared. Stay with it. Breathe through it. Running also worked for me. This is me getting stronger. Faster. So did hiking. I see. I smell. I hear. 

And when your husband is 10 minutes late and you go into that nononononononono, where is he this is happening again (yes, I've been there), try to recognize it as a trauma response. It is your body hurtling you through time right back to where the injury happened. Try and feel your body right now. And, if you feel safe enough with your partner, tell him what happens to you when you're in that trauma response. Try to enlist him to support you. This isn't about you being unreasonable or refusing to "move forward". This is about you experiencing a trauma response. This is about you trying to find safety. This is a physical manifestation of your wound. It is, until you heal, beyond your control. 

I want that for everyone who comes here. I want all of us to learn how to find that safety in our own bodies. Then and only then can our trauma truly be something that's in the past. 






9 comments:

  1. This has taken me a while to accept, I can't positively think my way out of it because my body has its own sense of well being and is on my side. It is looking out for me until I get to the point where it is actually causing more pain. Making me relive feelings that are just about the past and not the present. I love the idea of reconnecting the body and mind, I have to find what works for me. I'm not sure what that looks like for me yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the past of infidelity is alive in anyone who has experienced this trauma. Years later I awaken in the middle of the night ruminating about all the signs of cheating that I made excuses for. He would NEVER do this to me. This pain never leaves and the past is ongoing because now we need to protect ourselves, our families and everything about our worlds. My husband told me he wanted to "fix" this mess he made. I took an egg and described it as the two of us, whole, safe and secure in our marriage. I dropped it on the floor. "That's what you did to our marriage," I said. "You can't fix that."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this right now. I was just telling someone that I am completely disconnected and it's holding me still. Every day, I feel myself just falling apart physically. I know that I'm not alone, but it feels really good to read some words to show me as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eight months ago my 40 year marriage was finally shattered. I journal my thoughts and emotions daily...and unfortunately nightly. I feel physically ill. I relive so many moments as if they are occuring in real time. Reading the words shared by others allows me to understand my own episodes of grief, anger, disbelief and shame are not unique. Even a vocabulary "trauma response" to articulate the experiences I continue to live through. My world will never be the same again. I understand that. But I'm trying to cope now. I'm hoping/believing this group will help. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ladies!
    I'm hoping for some insight. My ex had several affairs, is an alcoholic and suffers from ptsd. We did so much counselling and after the last one I finally left. It's been two years and in so many ways am incredibly happy. We have two children together and share custody. I find I still cry a lot for the loss of the family I thought I would have. I also struggle with still be attracted to him. Looking back I can now see all the red flags that I chose to overlook for hope he could be a better partner to me. He wasn't capable of being the partner I deserve and want. For those of you who left, how did you work through this grief and start to lose the attraction. It soo sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown,
      "in so many ways I am incredibly happy", you write. And I want you to consider cataloguing those ways. A literal list of all the ways in which you're happy and no longer dealing with the pain of infidelity, the anxiety of "is he cheating again", the loneliness, the impact on your physical and emotional health. It's normal, of course, to lament the loss of the dream you thought you were creating. But it was a dream. It wasn't reality. And now you're free to make real a new dream.
      Work through the grief but don't give in to the impulse to "undo" all the work you've done. You made the right choice. That doesn't mean it's the easy choice or the choice without regrets. But it does mean that, the choice you made, has left you "in so many ways, incredibly happy."

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this tangible way to hopefully continue to shift my thoughts in the moments I doubt my decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another think, Unknown: Pay attention to when those regrets show up. When you're tired? Lonely? Facing down your mortality? Sometimes we don't miss "that" exactly, but we miss...something. In other words, you may not want him so much as what you thought he represented: stability, emotional safety, love. Once we get clear on what we're really missing, we're better poised to either just feel the feeling without doing something like sleep with our ex, or take steps to create what we want with someone else.

      Delete
  7. I too appreciate better understanding the trauma response that I am clearly experiencing. So many triggers and my mind seems to be my worst enemy. I keep replaying the past - the months when we were not connecting when we rekindled a friendship, what I was doing the day he sent her a text asking if she would be interested in "taking advantage of him" for a little "release and relief" and then the evening 3 weeks later when it happened - just once (and was unsatisfying for him at least as he lost his erection, and was rather awkward he says and after some initial novelty/excitement the days after, they agreed best to stick with being friends). I have had to delete emails and anything from that time period (15 mos ago) - I never knew about the rekindled friendship even in the last few months when it was clearly a platonic but still kinda close friendship (clear by their texts, even the occasional flirty msg was gone) so constantly think about where I was or what we were doing when he was texting her or meeting her for a walk (even if infrequent, maybe once a month). So many triggers as I have to drive a few blocks past her house (where it happened) on my way to work. How do a I stop asking the what ifs and if only's? If only I had done this or that or hadn't done this or that, or he had heeded my suggestion to start therapy or had the courage to talk with me? I don't feel like this is cancer that happens for no reason. There WAS a reason for this and it was preventable. How do I ever get over that and stop going back to try to replay our lives? It is so draining and exhausting and feels like I will never stop torturing myself (even as we both are doing IC and MC). I worry even time won't help, or not quickly enough.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails