Friday, December 21, 2018

Guest Post: Making Peace With Childhood Pain: What's Sometimes Behind the Agony of Infidelity

by Lynn Less Pain

John Shedd said, “A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.”
Elle wrote a post a few years ago in which she said that infidelity can be a catalyst for change. I read that and went wild. I fired back saying how much I disagreed with her opinion. It made me angry to think, this is the type of gut-wrenching pain that has to happen for change? Has she lost her mind? He needs to change not me. He needs to own it, find out his whys, not me. He needs to understand why he lied, not me. Catalyst can take a flying leap as far as I was concerned. 
It took me three years to see what the heck she was talking about. 
There came a phase in my healing (not in the first year but later) when I realized my marriage did suck. How did my marital state get that way? Looking at his contributions to a dysfunctional marriage was easy. Looking at my contributions was not so easy. He asked me to go to lunch, I was too busy. I forgot to call him when I said I would. When he talked about his job, I listened but I didn’t hear him. He wanted sex, I was thinking, if only he helped me with the housework, sorry, too tired for sex. Does any of this contribute to hubby having an affair? No. Does any of this justify an affair? No. I was looking at the surface of our marital status. I was the one who was wronged so that was as far as I could go with my contributions. So instead I concentrated on my self-esteem, self-care, self-compassion and self-healing 
All of this finally made sense to me yesterday when I went to therapy. I gave my therapist some examples of my husband’s behaviour. Is this normal behavior? I asked. The therapist told me that we are now in the new marriage phase. OK, did I hear that right? So, after D-day, after the plain of lethal flatness, so after the stay or go scenarios, after being stuck and after forgiveness, yes, my girlfriends, there is more.
This is the new marriage phase – he did this, is that normal? He said that, is that normal? I felt this way, is that normal? Here's what the therapist explained to me: Yes, all that is normal marriage stuff. I gave her so many examples of what he said or what I said. The therapist said, your expectations of a normal marriage are too high. She told me I have this Disneyland forever expectation, which is just not realistic. What my husband is doing and saying is completely normal. His actions and reactions are completely normal. I gave the therapist more examples. Yes, she said, all of that is normal.  
She said, “you grew up in an unstable family with little or no support from your family. No support during any traumatic event or situations. Your difficult childhood experience made you develop certain beliefs about how people think and how relationships work. You developed coping strategies that were not helpful in your adult life."
Those coping strategies which were not helpful in my adult life was my contribution to a dysfunctional marriage.
·      I felt very worried about being abandoned and I would do anything to stop that happening. 

·      I felt just plain empty. I felt like I was running on empty emotions, nothing left to give.

·      I felt like I was the only one who felt things deeply. 

·      I felt like I would go from very happy and confident in the morning and sad in the afternoon. 

·      I didn’t know who I was and I changed depending on who I was with.

·      I went through extremes on food, alcohol, shopping and planning a family event.

·      I believed I wasn’t good enough and didn’t deserve to be happy. Everything but my relationship had to be perfect. 

·      I viewed things in extreme: good or bad; black or white.

·      Any separation from anyone meant they really didn’t care about me. 

This was painful to explore. Talking about my childhood, timeline of emotions, past relationships and reactions to life was like eating food I already thrown up in my mouth.  Once I understood my unhealthy coping strategies, I learned to be kind to myself. Life can be different when you put in the work. Some days I forget what it feels like to be positive but I know that won’t last. I deserve to be happy and live a fulfilled life. I’m not about to let infidelity take that away from me but I had to look under the surface of the water before I could sail my ship out of that harbor called infidelity. I was so tangled up, there was no way I could sail away.
I have finally found that inner peace, I strived to find for so long. It had nothing to do with infidelity really. It had everything to do with me.  


5 comments:

  1. LLP this is amazing. Thank you.I have so many similar things from childhood. I am learning to be kinder to myself too. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2+ years post day. The kids (17&19)are starting to interact with my husband again. He says he understands how much pain he caused, but still complains we are not affectionate enough towards him . I try to encourage him to see the progress,although slow,with our kids. I feel guilty that I have a defense up that doesn't allow me to be as affectionate or adoring as I once was. When he complains about this it leaves me both angry and also feeling guilty for whatever my role is in the lack of health in our marriage. While I brushed things under the rug for years....they come back to me now- how many times he made me feel not wanted or not enough. I'm sure he would say some of this to me also, but the lies and betrayals were were definitely on him. He tells me he loves me, but I don't see it in his eyes. I worry my pain, memories and defensiveness will cause new issues going forward and yet I feel the burden should be on him to convince me of his love and commitment to us. The balance gets fuzzy in my thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous
    I too thought it was all up to him but the truth is that I am just as responsible for our life going forward as he is. I wasn’t able to be affectionate in the first part of this journey but I’m a couple of years past your place in the journey and I have come a long way. I tell my h what I need and he is now able to tell me what he needs. We’re a work in progress but we’re stil in there trying our best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LLP- this is great, and SO brave. the HARDEST thing to look at was my part in this whole thing. You are right, he had nothing to do with his choice to screw around, but was I his absolute true north? Was I his biggest cheerleader? Was I always available emotionally and physically? NOPE. I was not. Now I will say, it would have been incredibly helpful had he said "I'm feeling a little alone these days" or something to help me see the signs that something was wrong. I too had no blue print for a good marriage. My parents not only bickered a lot, but fought, mostly over my dads drinking. So the fact that H and i could live in the same house day in and day out (we both work from home) without big blow ups (well, except when he was drinking) I thought was a huge improvement. The reality is, in hindsight he probably was not getting the best of me. not even close. And I'm not sure what came first, the chicken or the egg. Was his drinking what caused the rift, or did the rift help him justify the drinking and everything else. I'd love to know what those "normal" behaviors are because all my shrink seems to ask, is "how does that make you feel" Drives me batty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post. At first I didn't see connections to my childhood home environment, either. But I discovered that 2 of my sisters and I were in counseling that started out as some problem in their families but ended up in childhood and our kind of dysfunctional home. The funny thing about dysfunction of any kind is that you don't recognize it while you're in it, but once you start looking at it...there it is. 3 out of the four of us sisters now agree there's something going on with our mom and we're beginning to focus in on what it is. And yes- it certainly had a bearing on my behavior in our dysfunctional marriage- and still does. Lack of self-esteem, little recognition of achievements, lack of emotions in my family (showing emotion was not a good thing), being good, compliant girls, don't rock the boat, poor modeling of marital and familial relationships, etc. And let's talk about HIS childhood...he has issues, too- one of which was don't rock the boat with his domineering, mentally off-balance (my interpretation) grandmother. She was a piece of work and I believe she's at the root of a lot of his issues- one of which is a belief that women are vengeful. No wonder our communication sucked.
    And it explains why my first thought after discovering everything about his multiple emotional affairs over a decade of our marriage was not that HE was to blame, but what had I not done? how was this my fault? I wasn't good enough. (Hi, Mom!!) It took me a very long time to recognize his EAs weren't about me, but about him and our inability to communicate. Interesting the damage that can be unintentionally done at an early age that lasts a lifetime and screws us up in many ways.
    Anon55

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails