Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Why Shame is the Wrong Tool to Deal with Infidelity

Here are some of the things I said to my husband after D-Day:
You're a liar.
You disgust me.
You are nothing but a cheater and a liar.
Why would I ever believe you because you are incapable of telling the truth.

The list goes on but my memory has grown fuzzy.
Pretty horrible, huh?
I'm not saying he didn't deserve my wrath. He did. He most definitely did.
What I am saying is that that those words not only did nothing to create the possibility for healing, they also weren't true (well, except for the disgust bit. I was pretty disgusted at that point).
But they hurt him. And that was really my intention. I wasn't capable of thinking more long-term than the next five-minutes. I was in the midst of survival mode – fight, flight or freeze. And I was fighting like hell. I wanted to hurt him like he'd hurt me. I wanted him to know that I would never forgive him for what he'd done. Which also, as fate would have it, turned out to be untrue.
But more to the point, if I'd been able to stop and think, to determine what my goal was, I might have realized that what I was doing – shaming my husband – wasn't going to help me achieve it.
Which is the great misunderstanding of shame.
We think shame makes people change their behaviour. But famed shame researcher Brené Brown gives us the bad news. It doesn’t. If anything, shame makes people double down on their bad behaviour (we’re seeing this shame-and-name culture online right now and it’s ugly).
What happens, Brown explains, is that shame hijacks our limbic system – we go into survival mode. That’s our primitive brain, our reptile brain. Shame, she says, “corrodes that part of us that believes we can ever be different.”
Sadly, a lot of us grew up being shamed. More than likely, our partners did too. It’s a frequently used tool by those in authority. But shame drives a lot of bad behaviour. Shame doesn’t urge us be better, it tells us we never will be.
You’re never going to be anything but a loser, we might have heard.
Why can’t you do anything right?
Or, my husband’s father’s favorite: You’re nothing but a quitter.
And here I was, post D-Day, shaming my husband, albeit unintentionally. I was doing to him exactly what had been done to him as a child. And what he’d done to himself ever since.
Shame drives bad behaviour, Brown reminds us again.
So much of my husband’s acting out was rooted in his childhood shame. Shame kills intimacy. Shame kills empathy. Brown puts it this way: “It’s much more likely to be the cause of harmful and destructive behaviours than the cure.”
I’ve been thinking about this in the context of infidelity lately. I’ve long thought that our culture, while it loves a redemption story, loves a consistent narrative more. While we hold the possibility that people can change, we’re suspicious of it. That “once a cheater, always a cheater” mentality leaves no room for redemption, for reinvention.
Why do we make it so hard for people to redeem themselves? Why do we insist on labelling people rather than labelling their behaviour? It might seem like semantics but it’s rooted in shaming. That’s not, of course, to say that bad behaviour shouldn’t be called out. It absolutely should, especially cheating, which causes so much damage and pain to partners and kids. But there is a world of difference between expecting someone who cheated to figure out why he did and how to ensure he never does it again, and labelling them a cheater. The first allows for change. The second…does not.
I’ve long believed that my willingness to give my husband the chance to change stemmed from having grown up with an alcoholic who got sober. I had seen someone, who everyone else had given up on, choose a better path. And I had watched her not only get sober but get wise about it. I knew people could change because I’d seen it. Might my perspective have been different if she’d never stopped drinking? Probably.
It must be a careful dance, between wanting to believe our partners can change and being realistic about whether they will. Change is not a straight trajectory. It zigs and it zags but someone truly intent on becoming better will self-correct.
As Brown reminds us, when you see someone making amends, apologizing, doing better, that’s about guilt not shame.
But if they do not make amends, if it becomes clear that their words are not backed up by actions – if they refuse counselling, if they resist giving you passwords, if they push back against boundaries you’ve set in order to feel emotionally safe with someone capable of cheating, then that’s important information. And all the shaming in the world isn’t going to create that change if it isn’t coming from a reckoning within.





8 comments:

  1. Thank you. My d-day was 3 days ago, and although I'm not a name caller, I wanted to call him everything under the sun. I didn't. After reading this, I'm glad I didn't and the only thing I have said is that he has crushed my soul. He used to say that I would be the one to cheat on him. Now I think that was his way of hiding the fact that he did it to me.
    It hurts so much, and I haven't got a proper reason why. But I want to make it work. We also have a 6yr old and a 5 month old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, betrayal is excruciating. More than any of us ever imagined.
      You say you haven't got reason why. I assume you're referring to a reason why he cheated? Honestly, he might not have a clue. The reasons we think people cheat are often not reasons at all. Sometimes those who cheat are as confused as their partners about why they risked what matters to them for someone that didn't.
      But that's his job, if he wants to rebuild his marriage and keep his family intact. He needs to find out why, ideally with the help of a therapist. And then he needs to take steps to ensure he doesn't do it again.
      Your job is to take care of you, in part so that you can continue to take care of your kids. You have so much to deal with right now, including a fairly new baby. So please, do whatever you can to ensure you're getting rest, that you're eating well and that you feel supported. I would urge you to also seek cousenlling so you feel supported and that you have a safe place to process the pain and the anger and deep deep sadness.

      Delete
    2. Wow, my son was six and my daughter five months when I discovered my husband was cheating. I was so upset that I couldn’t make milk to breastfeed her anymore. Hopefully that hasn’t happened to you. Take care of yourself as best as possible. If you believe in Jesus, talk to Him 100 times per day if needed. He will comfort you. He is closest to the broken-hearted.

      Delete
  2. I am not sure that I necessary agree. I am 2.5 years out and still very conflicted about shame and what really happened. Maybe he grew up being shamed, and maybe he thought he was not worth it...I know I did not treat him that way. I was supportive, encouraging and had his back. I knew he was hurt as a kid and I gave him the opportunity to do better for his own kids. He didn’t. He hurt them and he hurt me in the worst possible way. I still don’t understand how this is not a personality flaw. Even if I never found out, it doesn’t matter to me - he knew what he was doing. Every day when he was looking at the mirror, he knew who and what he was. A liar and a cheater, no better than his mother and father. He was doing exactly what he promised he would never do. So I am very conflicted. I recently watched a ted talk by Johann Hari on addiction and he said that people have addictions because they can’t bear their present life. I still don’t understand what was so awful about his present that he had to escape it by lying and cheating and decimating the one person who had his back for 20 years. Divorce was always an option. Whatever he feels today and whether he changes really makes no difference to me. I am still dealing with severe PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks daily. I am better than I was a year ago, and I hope in a year or two I will be better still, but I don’t think this will ever go away for me.

    Lost Somewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost Somewhere,

      I felt the same way you do for a long time. It wasn't until I had something of an epiphany when I realized that I was only seeing HIS life through MY eyes. It's like when we hear about a celebrity who dies by suicide and we think, what in the world could have been so awful that they couldn't see any alternative. So...when I came to understand that my husband had his own narrative about his life, deeply entrenched beliefs about himself and sex, a childhood ruled by shame and lying and oppression, then I realized that, IF I HAD LIVED HIS LIFE, I might have made similar choice. I'll never know, of course. Because I haven't lived his life. I have only lived my own with my own childhood dysfunction. I benefited from therapy in my 20s while he was still full on believing that therapy was for "crazy" people.
      In short, what I'm saying isn't that your husband deserves a second chance -- that's for you to decide. And maybe he's an awful person. I don't know. What I do know is that shame isn't the answer to anything. It just doesn't work to make someone behave better and maintain that behaviour. Shame makes us hide who we are. Guilt is a different story. Guilt motivates us to behave better. Shame just gets expressed in unhealthy ways.
      And yes, addictions are about medicating pain, about escaping pain. As Gabor Maté, a physician who worked with heroin addicts once said, he never met an addict who wasn't dealing with trauma. Not once. So...

      Delete
  3. I found out 5 years ago that he was a sex addict, and we both went into therapy right away. I was always careful to never label or shame him. I found out last November that he has been lying about being sober and working on himself, not just to me but to his therapists, his brother, his friends, etc. - he has lied to everyone who was supporting him and cared for him. He bragged to me that he has never been faithful to me in our 10 years together, and that one of the women he had been seeing for 2 years behind my back "understood him." I take that to mean that she lets him continue his addictive behaviors and has such low self-esteem she is ok with his abuse. Not that she really understands him. I do, and I kept holding him accountable when I found things that didn't make sense or when I needed support from him. But he never made real amends because he never stopped his behaviors. I trusted the therapy process and was betrayed by it. He fooled everyone. He never stopped sabotaging us; he just got tired of waiting for me to get over it. And I needed his help if I was going to stay with him.
    Any real change to behaviors stems from changing the thought process, and that can truly only be done by that person. If they choose not to do the work they can fake it only until they can't. And let's hope it hurts enough to slap reality into them.
    My ex chose someone he could manipulate over what we had built and the future we wanted. He has never said apologized even. He lied about seeking inpatient treatment to me earlier this year, and that is when I realized I don't even want to talk to him anymore. It's been a horrific 8 months for me- the guy I knew is dead but also walking around not caring what he did to me. I repeatedly called him out on it- the psychological abuse, the gaslighting, the deflection, the manipulation, and more, and he just ignored me. Like I didn't matter to him. My feelings didn't matter to him. My health didn't matter to him. Not any more. It's crushing to the spirit. All he cares about is keeping his sex addiction and having someone around the house.
    Now, I call him a bunch of things in my head, and he will not share our pets with me, but I still have never labeled him or said he's a bad person and he's not good enough. He has despicable behaviors and thoughts, and his half-assed efforts at improving himself weren't good enough. Our mental states are as far apart as the US and China are in the world, maybe we always were so. I kept reaching out to him to pull him forward and towards me these last 5 years and didn't see that he was dragging his feet and giving me a "dead fish."
    Oh- and this other relationship- he is cheating on her still. He has always been seeing me, her, others (now just her and others). They are engaged now (really quickly after I told him I didn't want to talk to him any more), probably not for any real deep feelings or future on his part though.
    I am back to dating, though I hate it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are addicts -- your ex is clearly one of them -- who never get clean. His new gf/wife might be deluding herself that the difference is her but she'll learn the hard way that the problem is him. Was never you. Always him.
      I'm glad you're moving on. And maybe it isn't time to date yet. You aren't required too, of course. Maybe you could benefit from more time just focussing on you and healing from him. Addicts can cause such deep harm in others.
      In any case, onward and upward, Unknown. He's not your problem any more.

      Delete
    2. If you believe in Christ, move on in His strength. What I mean by that is, walk closely with Him by praying to Him 100 times daily if you need to. Let forgiveness be your goal, though that goal may be far away. A stony heart keeps us from being our best selves. I know it’s hard. It’s still very hard for me, but God has really comforted me as I reached out to Him in prayer, listening to sermons on YouTube, and reading the Bible. God will restore everything Satan has taken from you....EVERYTHING. Let total restoration be your goal too. May all your dreams still become a reality.❤️

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails