Thursday, February 15, 2024

The Safe Harbour of Your Own Heart

I noticed this one year ago, when one of our secret sisters posted these words on Valentine's Day: 

"Being in the time after he cheated makes me feel unsafe with my heart."

I felt those words in my own heart. I felt them when I read her words because I felt them then. I remember well feeling "unsafe." And of course I felt unsafe — I was unsafe. My husband had made clear to me that my heart wasn't safe with him, it hadn't been safe with him. The person I'd trusted most to keep my heart safe had betrayed that trust.

But ... maybe that's the problem. The person I'd trusted most. Those were the words I just wrote. The person I trusted most to keep my heart safe.

Why wasn't I the person I trusted most to keep my heart safe? Why had I outsourced the single most important job any of us have. To safeguard our own hearts. To keep them safe. And safe from what? Not from hurt. Hurt is simply part of the tangle of emotions we will all experience. 

No, our job is to not betray ourselves. To remember who we are. To never let someone else convince us to abandon our principles, what we know to be right, what we know to be true.

Betrayal catapults so many of us into confusion. Reality itself seems arbitrary. So I know what I'm suggesting isn't easy. I lost myself in the maelstrom after D-Day. But our goal must be to find our way back, to reorient ourselves.

We do that with support. As best you can, surround yourself with those who can help you reorient. A therapist, if you can afford one. A clergy person, if you have access to one that doesn't prioritize the institution of marriage over the people in it, that doesn't value men over women. A wise and trusted friend or sibling or parent. 

We sometimes find that support within the pages of a book — whether fiction or self-help. I took deep comfort (and a roadmap) from many books when I felt so lost. Indeed, I wrote a book to guide others to a healthy place beyond betrayal. 

It was the hardest work I've ever done — reorienting myself, finding that safety within my own heart. In part, the challenge came from having never completed that work before he cheated on me. Those of us who've struggled with trauma, dysfunctional families, betrayal by others have even more work to do because we have further to go toward healing. But it's worth it. I promise you, it's worth it. On the other side of all of this pain and work of healing is a heart — your own — that offers safety. 


6 comments:

  1. Thanks Elle. I have been reading all the posts for a few years after so many D-days, the last being Jan 19. I moved out my things and left the children with him as I work outside the country. For the first time in 10 years, I told my family and they have been so supportive. I think I'm done this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amethyst, I am so glad to hear you have the support of your family. And I am sending you all the best wishes in the world as you navigate this next chapter -- without him. "So many D-Days" is your cue to move on without him. You're going to be great!

      Delete
  2. My valentines card had a hand written note that said, “I hope you know how much I love you”. It has been 5.5 years since my Dday. My first thought when I read the words, were, “do you really? He told the OW that he loved her during his year long affair. It’s hard to taken those words at face value. During my recovery, I have learned to love myself and am proud of the person that I have become. I entrust my heart to myself and if my husband loves me then I will embrace that love, but if it should end, then I will be content with the love I have for myself. My happiness and well being is my number one priority. I will never allow him to take my joy again. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wise approach, Anonymous. One of the gifts of betrayal (I know ... ugh) was that it forced me to learn how to be kind to myself, how to love myself, and how to trust myself.

      Delete
  3. This post was a gift to me today, Elle. I have found comfort in many of the posts here, this one especially. I am struggling. Finding yourself doubting your own intuition is a hard spot. And pushing that thought down, while it keeps creeping up for air is wearing my heart out. But these words today are helping me find strength to confront what I know to be true. There is more for my husband to tell me. Thank you Elle, and everyone on here. Your words are a true comfort, a strength, and a compass. Leading me back to the confident human I once was and will be again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an excellent post by Elle, thank-you so much! I am 4 1/2 years post D-Day, permanently separated from H since that day, my choice. (His choice too since he didn't fight for our marriage, fight for me...he continued to chase females). I have learned very valuable things about myself, namely diving deep and looking at the fear of abandonment. I have resurfaced from this dive and was at first terrified at the thought of trusting my heart with another. But now I realize that I also can't be bothered, I really don't have time to waste 'getting to know someone' and committing myself. I just can't care about what your favourite food is and where you like to go hiking. Or whatever. How could I meet someone without always thinking of stranger-danger/hidden agendas/deceit? I really think for me it is not possible. H abused my trust and heart in every which way. He really did a number on me. I do however I work at staying open and trusting the Universe for Life to unfold as it will, so I do my daily yoga and meditations which are key to my life. Maybe a platonic friend/companion of sorts will appear and we will have meaningful shared interests. But falling in love again? Yikes. I am saddened that I will be alone in this way but forge ahead with being my own best company. I look back at my eight-year old self and all her great strengths. I never ever dreamed of the 'wedding-day', I thought getting married was an unnecessary Life choice. I felt that way into my mid-40's until I met someone that I ended up marrying. I took the plunge. A sweet ride at first that eventually spiraled downwards into a nightmare. They say we can't choose whom we fall in love with. Karma. And I have learned a lot since D-Day. I think of my future 80-year old self and in her wisdom, of what she would advise me to do. She would say keep at your Spiritual Life, (also always take good care of your health) and everything else will naturally fall into place. She would also tell me to gear-back to the 8-yr-old and forge a new path of creativity and freedom. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails