Tuesday, October 27, 2020

When Is His Reckoning? Why he needs to address his shit head on

 Aspects of this process keep getting referred to as a “reckoning” because it’s a lot easier to say reckoning than it is to say “having all your biases laid out on a table and correctly picked over because it’s time we addressed this shit head-on.”

~Rebecca Traistor, Wide Awake

He'll do just about anything to avoid that, won't he? Addressing this shit head on? He'll minimize. She meant nothing to me. He'll deflect. Our marriage was really bad. You know that. He'll blame-shift. You said yourself that you weren't happy. He'll reassure. I never stopped loving you. He'll defend. I was never going to leave you. Why won't you believe me?

He'll do just about anything except the one thing that he absolutely must do. Address his shit head on. Traistor, in the quote above, is referring to the reckoning taking place politically in the US. And I am, of course, referring to a more personal reckoning in the wake of infidelity. But the two aren't necessarily as separate as we might think. Even our cultural understanding of infidelity is through the lens of misogyny, entitlement, patriarchy. "Addressing this shit head on" is about examining what made cheating okay for him. "Addressing this shit head on" means turning the light on the stories he told himself, long-held beliefs, a value system that was malleable enough to make space for cheating (or that never excluded cheating as unacceptable in the first place). Because if he's asking you for a second chance, what exactly is he offering to make that second chance seem like a fair bet?

It will be painful. For him but likely for you too. It's hard to look deeply at our shadow selves, behind our polished exteriors. And it's something that will likely require a professional, not only to open the path toward a deeper understanding but to offer support when what's discovered is hard to look at. When it feels easier to turn away, to say that's enough, to figure that not cheating is as good as understanding why he cheated in the first place.

It's not. It never will be. 

Addressing this shit head on is the admission price of a second chance. What? He thought there wouldn't be a price? He thought he could make promises and plead for mercy and wipe the slate clean? He thought the price was paid by being a witness to your tears, your pain, your shattering? Absolutely not. Observing the pain he created is never to be confused with reckoning with his own. 

Besides, we're likely having our own reckoning. Addressing this shit head on. Because although we are never to blame for another's choice to cheat, there are often ways in which we betrayed ourselves. By ignoring our anger. By silencing our wants. By denying our needs. By allowing him to abandon us in ways we barely recognized but nonetheless felt deeply. We felt alone, didn't we? We were alone.

Infidelity is a nuclear bomb. And pretending it's not only reduces the likelihood that the necessary rebuilding will take place in its wake. If he can pretend that it wasn't so bad, that it was a small aberration, that the damage was contained then he can avoid his reckoning. But only if we go along with it. Only if we don't demand he commit to his reckoning.

Let's not. Let's make absolutely sure that he addresses this shit head on. Let's insist that the price of his second chance is his commitment to doing everything he can so that he never needs to ask for a third chance. 

I'm convinced it's the only way to rebuild a marriage in a way that creates emotional safety. Only when we have seen his reckoning, only when he has examined his actions through the lens of how he got there, what he told himself, what he lied about – to us and to himself – can we begin to let down our guard. Only when he will make himself vulnerable can we begin to trust him with our own vulnerability. Only then.


14 comments:

  1. Just read that post to my h. His response nothing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! So true and so well said. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. boy have I heard all those before. "she meant nothing" "you mean everything" "I was bored" "I was depressed and didnt love myself". I was hit with a "October Surprise" alright. its been almost a month and it has been a rollercoaster. Theres days where I am fine and then there are days like today that I dont even like to answer his phone calls and come up with excuses on why I didnt pick up. My situation was emotional infidelity i feel. Funny how my therapist said she doesnt even believe it is that. My husband was sexting another woman and to me that is infidelity and huge betrayal. Some days I want to work on this marriage and feel we are going to be okay, and other days I feel like I live with a stranger. I can be very hot and cold and sometimes dont even understand my emotions. I want it to work out but I dont see myself ever trusting this man again and I fear the future so much. Every day is a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my situation as well.
      Sexting with someone I considered a friend. It was, as described above, a nuclear bomb in our lives.
      Please don't let him or anyone else tell you that this isn't a huge betrayal. It is, even if it wasn't physical.

      I wish I could tell you our story had a happy ending, but 4 years and several more incidents later, we're still in limbo.
      I hope you find the clarity needed to be gentle with yourself and make it through this.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written. There have been multiple times when I have witnessed what I thought was a reckoning. Then. I. Discovered. More.
    I believe he truly has made many healthy changes for himself and our marriage. He struggles with vulnerability. He will talk as long as I want, however, forgetting completely would be his priority.
    Thank you for the uplifting messages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is all my baggage but reading this has kind of dumped me on my head. I don't know if she has had her reckoning. We have chosen to work through this but lately I have been getting the same eerie feelings from before I found out. It may be time for a long, uncomfortable conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what is left to those who can not afford therapy? Are we condemned to fail? Divorce is the only way out for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. There's a lot he can be doing. I'm currently compiling a list of free or affordable resources for those who can't afford therapy. I'll post on the site soon! But please don't give up hope. If he's repentent, if he wants to do better...then don't give up hope.

      Delete
  7. This is so true. Too bad a lot of unfaithful spouses don't. Mine didn't, no accountability at all. I'm sorry always followed by deflection of blame, excuses, etc. I went through years of misery until it started affecting the kids too. Boy they are smart. My mistake was not being strong enough to enforce boundaries and staying too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we know better, we do better. And you did better!

      Delete
  8. "When is his comeuppance?" Is what I want to know. I thought he was going through his door shit but...he lied to everyone! He's now with one of his affair partners while i am broken. I can't wait for karma to catch up with him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oprah once said that the worst part of karma is that we want a front-row seat for it but it doesn't always look like we want it too. He might live a long blissful life or he might feel the quiet desperation of a man who can't understand why life feels empty. Either way, not your problem. My advice is to focus on making your own life deep and full and the day will come when you won't care what his life is like. You'll get there!

      Delete
  9. This is my experience as well, only we're on our 3rd round of "emotional infidelity". Sometimes I wonder if it wasn't physical too... and that's probably only the ones I caught onto. The first time, he was remorseful and worked on things... the second time, not so much.. when I asked if he loved this person, his response was 'I don't know'.. We tried for a while but since the OW are people he works with, there is never a way for 'no contact', unless he quits.. which he won't do and even then, no guarantees... I'm finally at a point where I could possibly leave.. kids are older (college, out of the house) and I'm struggling this time with what to actually do. What I can't figure out, and he can't/won't answer, is why he didn't just get a divorce.. We literally just sold our house and downsized into a new place... and a month in and I find that he's been having another 'relationship' for at least 7 months, way before we moved. This move was supposed to be the "2nd Stage" in our marriage. That's been effectively ruined for me.. and like you said, EVERY DAY is a struggle..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CML,
      I think it's long past time to wonder why he can't/won't leave and ask yourself why you're not. He's telling you, consistently, that you are alone in this marriage. Whether or not he actually wants out, I haven't a clue. But I'm concerned about you. You deserve better than this. I think it's time for you to have your own Second Act, without him, where every day doesn't have to be a struggle.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails