Monday, May 13, 2019

Our Act of Extraordinary Faith

Nothing, of course, happens fast enough and we just want to be returned to that uncomplicated life we once had – we want stability restored – but it is not to be. Now we have a new life; unchartered, uncertain, beyond our control, and that we are on some level undertaking alone, even within the company of the ones we love. Our worlds are still raw and new. They hum with suffering, but there is immense power there too.
We are alone but we are also connected in a personhood of suffering. We have reached out to each other, with nothing to offer, but an acceptance of our mutual despair. We must understand that the depths of our anguish signal the heights we can, in time, attain. This is an act of extraordinary faith. It makes demands on the vast reserves of inner-strength that you may not even be aware of. But they are there. 
~Nick Cave, Musician

Raise your hand if you thought you'd be over your heartbreak within, say, three months of D-Day. Five months? Seven? And keep your hand up if the idea of three to five YEARS makes you want to scream and never stop. 
Yeah. That's what I thought.
Nothing, as Nick Cave writes, happens fast enough. And if I had a nickel for every time someone arrives at our club and laments that she just wants "my old life back" or "my old self back", well, I would be typing this from my beach-house on Martha's Vineyard
The bad news is that old life and old self are forever altered. There is no "old" left to return to. We have a new life: Unchartered. Uncertain. Raw and new.
And we hate it, don't we? We didn't ask for this. 
Who would? And yet, we can see how suffering can transform. Not always for good, of course. Sometimes the face of pain becomes contorted by hate. But sometimes, if we let it, suffering is like water over rock. Slowly smoothing out the sharp edges. 
"Mercurial," is how my mother used to describe me. Or, when I was really young, "like a tornado." When I was happy, the world knew it. But when I was sad or angry, well, the world knew that too. 
My edges are softer now. My joy feels richer rather than higher. My sadness feels thicker rather than deeper. Suffering and anguish have shaped me into a different me. One that trusts my own strength. One that has found a sisterhood to hold me up when I need it. "We are connected in a personhood of suffering," says Cave. We need to seek that connection. Sadness can isolate us if we don't reach out to others. But when we can share our softness, our "mutual despair", then we're also sharing those reserves of strength we didn't know we had. 
Believing we can heal from this is absolutely "an act of extraordinary faith". Most of never imagined how painful betrayal was. And, when we're face down in the mud of it, we can scarcely imagine emerging from it, not only okay but really okay. Really really okay. 
Here's what few realize about betrayal until they've navigated that grief and suffering. There is immense power in that change. It's there. Not the power to change him, of course. Or the world. But you. And that, I promise, is all the power you need. 

5 comments:

  1. This post came in just as needed the usual... so weve been disconnected lately .. busy... to dos ... kids .. life! And i dont know if im sad hurt or angry by my H request for more time more us time ... while i can agree and want the same ... we are im this sexual rut ... where to not im sync every time and he frustrated where i shut down convinced his whore no limits affair has warped his mind into reality or is it me as he claims? But today on top of our back and forth he tells me hes just existing? Wait what? Existing you read that correctly ... without amazing sex and connection hes existing and not happy. Im processing this i might be hurt like why am i not enough? I might be angry... this is the words coming out of the man i gave a second chance? I might just be sad that ... here we are again ... and it makes all the pain raw again. It brings the affair to the front and center again. It doesnt make me cry it makes me feel frustrated and in shut down mode to pull the covers over my head or walk walk and walk some more as i sit with the pain and try to find the next right step ...in a rut today. As i try to digest this all ... last time we were hear guess what he cheated long term and im reminded while that may not be going on currently it certianly could be again or one day and i can only control myself i never really was angry before or over past 4 years but im feeling angry today is this another stepping stone thru the gates of betrayal or what exactly is this. Ill be flipping on Netflix to check out what everyone's talking about on another post. While i sit here trying to figure this all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wounded, I think this entire process of recovery is ongoing. And there is no normal or predictable. I do think getting into a "normal" routine can make it really hard for me/us. My husband will say he is not happy if I am not happy. It is nice and sweet but it does bother me. If I have learned anything through this my happiness has to be driven internally. I can gain happiness by being with others but not because of others. I also find I am still the one to bring up anything if I sense something is off. Some says I struggle since I know this will always be part of me. Honestly it was too traumatizing to completely let go. I try to use it as good but it will always be there and shape all of my relationships.

      Delete
  2. Elle - thank you for giving us this place to have a voice. And thank you to everyone who continues to post - from those who are new to this hell and to those who have forged the waters before us. Your stories - new and old - make me feel like I'm not alone on this journey.

    I find myself commenting less and less on this board. It's been almost 23 months since DDay #1 ... and I'm stuck. I know that everyone here is here to support me in this muck ... but really I know what the replies will be and you all are absolutely 100% right -- find a freaking therapist already Kimberly!

    But it's not been that easy. And one of my survival mechanisms that need to be worked on when times get tough is that I tend to simply shut down. Stand still. Avoid eye contact. The harder it became to find a therapist the more stuck I became. And when I thought I might have found one and left more traumatized than before I walked in that day I find myself dragging my feet all the more.

    The therapist doesn't have to be the "perfect" therapist. I may never find one who meets all of my criteria. But seriously ... anything would be better than what you're doing now!

    I need to stop with the "poor, woe is me" dialog and get my big girl panties on. Of course nothing will change if I don't make it happen.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking that step can be so hard but once you move forward it will be such a good feeling. You are right you might not find the perfect therapist but what if you do. Or if not you can move on and try another one. I personally traveled 1 1/2 hours to see mine. There were a variety of reasons but it was the best thing I did. I searched for a licensed therapist who specialized in betrayal. Everything on the website looked great then I reached out via email. I wanted to see where the therapist was in their practice. The answers were spot on. The therapist said they would help support me if I wanted to stay or leave my marriage unless there was abuse. This was important since there are many therapist that believe one way or another as a blanket policy. I had no idea about this until my husband who told me and is in mental health.

      Take the leap and you will not regret it!

      Delete
  3. So glad I found you guys. You are saying everything I am feeling...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails