Wednesday, December 23, 2020

In reaching out, we save ourselves

I feel as though a sob is lodged in my throat and will emerge at, likely, the most inopportune moment. It has been there awhile, though it shrinks occasionally when I've had a particularly good day. It's my 2020 sob, a lump of sadness for all the pain felt by so many this awful, horrible year.

We're among the lucky ones. I live in Canada, where the virus has definitely wreaked havoc but nothing on the scale of our neighbors to the south. I only personally know one person who has had COVID – who died from it – and she lived in Florida. My husband and I have not lost our jobs. Our two older kids have had to do remote learning, which sucks but they have access to laptops and high-speed Internet and incredibly patient, hard-working teachers. Our youngest has had part-time in-person classes with equally hardworking teachers who have shown up in person and who have been a godsend. We have food, shelter, each other. Rarely have I felt so privileged on a daily basis to feel safe.

And yet...so much pain. So much sadness. So many alone. So many who've lost jobs. So many going to jobs where they feel unsafe. Where they are unsafe. So much anger. So much vitriol. 

But also, so much gratitude. When the world feels dark, a whole lot of us find ourselves grateful for even the tiniest bit of light.

It's not unlike those early days and weeks and months following D-Day. When our lives have been upended but we aren't yet sure what shape our new lives will take. When we can't imagine that the day will come when we feel a sliver of joy or gratitude. How could we? And yet, we do. A child's laugh. A friend's smile over Zoom. A dog bolting across a yard to greet us. A cat's contented purr. A good book. A cup of tea. A starlit night. I promise you, those moments are there if you look for them. Looking for loveliness, a friend of mine calls it. And she makes it a daily practice.

The New York Times asked listeners to The Daily podcast to share good news stories. People called in with tales of new babies, falling in love, learning to play the trumpet, riding a bike, a boys' successful cancer treatments and so much more. Light within the darkness. 

One listener noted that our instinct is to seek out connection, which looks so much different in 2020 than it did the year before. "In reaching out, we save ourselves," he said. 

I had to pause and rewind it to hear those words again. In reaching out, we save ourselves. The sob in my throat grew and a few tears leaked out. It's what happens here on this site all the time. It's what I've witnessed for more than a decade, since I first created Betrayed Wives Club in 2009. You reach out, first with your own story. Others read it and see themselves in your pain. Me too, they write, though not always in those words. I know that pain. I know that loneliness. I know that fear. That loss. That grief.

Thank-you all for what you do to keep this space a bright spot. May you find your own light this season. May it remind you that always, always the light will return and grow stronger the more we tend to it. In the meantime, may we continue to reach out to each other and, in so doing, also save ourselves.



10 comments:

  1. In reaching out, I did save myself! Thankyou to everyone on here for the support, love and honesty that’s been my lifeline this very excruciatingly long, year of discovery. And thank you Elle for creating this haven - it is my escape, every single night! Happy holidays ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't comment much but this site and the comments posted has helped me tremendously. This site has allowed me to reach out silently. I am 7 months out from d-day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have many others with you in the shadows and I'm grateful you've all found a place that has been helpful and feels safe. If you come here often, you know these things: You will get through this, you are not alone.

      Delete
    2. Its ok if you don't comment. It took me a long time too. Then I was scared to sound stupid. There are some amazing writers on here! But Elle made me feel so comfortable to say whatever I want. So when you are ready, this is a great place to vent. Scream yell tell all the dumb ass comments he made. This community will be here for you. No judgement whether you stay or go or go back. Its the best.

      Delete
  3. My 35 year old daughter lost her boyfriend in a plane crash when they were both 17. She grieved voraciously. Today is the 18th anniversary of his death. Since all of us know grief I thought you could relate to what she wrote "It was like I was drowning, I was so weighed down by my own heartbreak. Then one day I decided to just dive all the way down into it, sink into this unbearable ocean of grief, only to discover that I had gills. For weeks it was like I lived at the bottom of my own soul, digging my feet into soft sand at the depth of an ocean, learning about the quietest, scariest parts of my soul"
    She has a blog called bossgirlproblems.com if you want to read the remainder of what she wrote.
    She quoted Glennon Doyle and I think this applies to all of us but hopefully will help those not too far into this nightmare. Doyle says "I see your pain-it's big and its real. But I see your courage too-and it's bigger and more real. That fire won't burn you up baby. You're fireproof."
    Another thing my daughter talked about getting through her grief was everyone in her life showing up for her. That is what Elle and Still Standing have done for us for years. They always show up. Whether I stay off for months or years (sorry!) they are always here. They always show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What incredible strength and wisdom from your daughter, LilyLove. I love that. My own experience with the "sisterhood" wasn't a good one prior to this. I had learned that women couldn't be trusted but this has changed that. Yes, there are those who will betray us. But there are many more who will stand beside us through the storm.

      Delete
    2. Also...that blog was incredible. Your daughter is (not surprisingly) so smart and so funny and just like her mom.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Elle for this site. I am 3 years out from d-day. Your site has allowed me to be myself again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those words warm my heart. I am so happy to hear that. And, not to nitpick, but I suspect you will discover that, yes, you're yourself again but not exactly. This new self has a wisdom and a strength and a generosity that your old self might not have yet recognized in herself.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails