Friday, December 11, 2020

What Can Grow from Your Burned Down Life

I had a choice. I could desperately scramble to re-create my old life in some new, hopefully better, iteration. Or, with the very pretense of success as I knew it now burned to the ground, I could start living in a completely new way. One not marked by time or arbitrary goals, but personal desire. One that walked forward wiser from all the steps already taken. 
~Xochitl Gonzalez, Turns Out It's Pretty Good Aging, from The Cut

I never aspired to be married. While my friends doodled Mrs. MacKay or Mrs. Stuart in the margins of their notebooks (depending on the surnames of their beloveds), I pictured my current name on the cover of books or at the top of magazine stories. No "Mrs" for me.
But then I met my husband. And marriage became appealing. Children seemed appealing. I liked the idea of tethering myself to someone til we were old and withered. I became a convert to the idea and told my husband that if he didn't propose to me that he could expect a proposal from me. 
Like so many others, my thoughts around life after the wedding seemed vague. Gauzy. We would live together, of course. But...what would our days look like? What would growing old be like?
I got pregnant fairly quickly (I was not a young bride so time was not on our side). And then pregnant again. And again. Life settled into something of a routine. I worked from home with part-time childcare. He worked increasingly long hours in an office. His income grew. Mine flat-lined. 
Still we were happy. I thought. And maybe we were. If by happy, you mean one person was keeping a whopper of a secret. Ignorance can indeed be bliss. Or, if not bliss, ignorance can be...acceptable. I grew tired of begging him to be home earlier and accepted his absence at the dinner table. I grew frustrated with his late nights on the computer. "Working," he told me, and I figured, well, he's a hard worker.
I grew lonely. But this was what I signed up for, wasn't it? When I said, "I do". When I agreed to "til death do us part."
And then, well, we all know what happened next. "Burned to the ground," as Xochitl Gonzalez phrased her own reckoning. 
Nothing but smouldering embers. Nothing but the stench of what was. 
You all know that smell. 
But the thing with looking around and seeing little that resembles your former life is that you have a choice. It may not feel like it right now. Right now might feel like the opposite of a choice. But wait.
You can visit the site of a devastating forest fire weeks and months and years later and see that, within those ashes, seeds were planted that took root and grew. The same is true for your burned-down disaster of a marriage. Seeds are being planted. Choices are available.
You can scramble to recreate your old life in some new, better iteration, as the author notes. Or you can start living in an entirely new way. Either response is perfectly fine. And what you choose might depend on what your pre-disaster life was. Maybe you had a perfectly good marriage that got derailed by a horrible decision your spouse made.
Or maybe, like me, your marriage was smouldering long before you smelled the smoke. Maybe a good choice for you, like for me, means living in a completely new way
My completely new way didn't involve walking away from my marriage, though yours might. Rather it meant examining the ways in which I existed within my marriage the same way I'd existed in my first family, the way I existed in the world: Believing I had to earn people's love, believing I had to earn the right to take up space on the planet believing that my job was to quash my wants and needs and be what others needed me to be. Living in a completely new way meant challenging those long-held, incredibly toxic beliefs and showing up differently. In my marriage, with my children, in the world.
That's a choice. And it's not one that requires me or my husband to stay in the marriage, necessarily. It's not one that requires anything other than a willingness to value myself, to treat myself as worthy of respect and honesty and decency.
Whether you yet realize it, living through this brush fire of infidelity is teaching you something. If what it's teaching you is that you are not worthy of love and belonging, that you somehow deserved this, then you're learning the wrong lesson. But if what it's teaching you is that you didn't deserve betrayal, that nobody deserves betrayal, then that's the wisdom that propels you forward into a completely new way of living.


12 comments:

  1. This is so true for me. I caught whiffs of that stench decades before the rotting secret surfaced and like you, I suppressed my own desires and needs for my children and the man who made lots of money so I had the luxury of taking the "mommy track" with less income, no benefits and a secure place to live while putting everyone except me first. Staying in my marriage required a massive shift and determination on my part and the ability to stick with the agreement despite hearing him say the same old things at times. One example that I can easily provide is when he says, "Look at that sick full of pots and pans. Seems like I always have a lot of dishes to clean up." I reply, "that sink full of pots and pans means you ate well" and I stay in my chair and read. No apology here and no "I'll just do it while you read."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhhh...I like that. "...means you ate well."

      Delete
  2. Just what I needed to hear today! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out about half a year ago that my fiance cheated on me. I still can't get over it. I still think about it and it makes me feel so sick. I can hardly stand him touching me anymore. I just can't stop imagine if he touched her the same. It even happened in our apartment. He even drove her back and forth in our car. I don't know how to stop seeing the ghost of it everywhere. And at the same time I just can't leave. And I'm not even sure why anymore. I don't even know if I love him anymore. But every time I think about leaving him I feel about as sick as the thought of staying. How do I sort out my feelings? How do I know which way to go? I don't know anymore. Our relationship is just so toxic and yet I can't let go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown, I'm so sorry for the pain you're in. Your body is giving you valuable information when you recoil from his touch. It is telling you that you don't feel emotionally safe. Pay attention to that. You also describe the relationship as "toxic". Those of us who've been in toxic relationships know how powerful that pull can be to stay. I urge you to find a professional therapist who can help you disentangle this, to sort through the confusion and help you get clear on what you want going forward. Your body wants out of this relationship. Your head just needs to catch up.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful words, and very much needed. Thank you. I found out just a week ago, now, for sure, although I have suspected for a few months. It hurts. I am angry. But I am trying so hard to move past this. When I married, it was until death do us part. That woman is not nearly so final as death, nor so momentous. We have both made mistakes. Now, ours is to pick up the pieces, reassemble and repair where able, and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. Betrayal is excruciating and it is so raw for you at one week out. Please give yourself time to absorb this. "My heartbreak, my rules" is our guiding principle. You get to decide what you want and need going forward. But for now, breathe. Rest. Eat. sleep.

      Delete
  5. Unknown above, you don't have to know right now. I am year and a half and am only beginning to "know". It's okay to just take your time and think. Think of YOU, not we. About the best words I have for you right now. Cause I'm still in your shoes, right where you are at. And it's been this long. He better not touch me right now.

    You are who you need to focus on. Don't have to and probly shouldn't make any decisions for a spell. You will know when.

    With you in spirit...

    Miss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MissMissy, Thank-you so much for this. I always love how you all show up for each other. That's brilliant advice, all the more valuable because it's from someone who's lived through it.

      Delete
  6. This resonated with me. I'm one of those women who never planned on getting married, I liked my independence and travelling, and then I met my husband and it just made sense. I was 33 and could have had kids but he'd already had his and didn't want more. I made that choice happily because we were so happy together...cut to 12 years later, and here I am googling how to get past his cheating. Self-examination is so hard sometimes though. I don't even really know who I am yet. But I'm learning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone, like you all I have suffered the same fate of betrayal from the one I trusted the most. I have suffered pain so grave that I shiver when I think about June 2019 and the state I was in. Since then, my husband has done almost everything possible to built our relationship. I have had meltdowns, angry outbursts and have taken my time to begin to accept him back in my life. I gave him a choice to leave, he cried and cried. Seemed forgiveness, answered all my questions (how truthfully God knows), went on marriage counselling. We were just about managing to start aftesh without the shadows of the haunting past. I have just come across his phone's history where he searched this other woman on Google on this one day in December. For what? I'm not sure but its like a kick in my stomach. I have been shaking and feel broken once again. I have been checking his phone on and off and this is the first time. We have 3 kids, youngest is 3. He helps with me with the kids and seems so dedicated towards us. So why?? Am I being too paranoid? I'm scared. Should I speak with him or just let it be as a one off. I feel like dying as I type this,can't go through the same thing again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must speak to him. It will eat you up wondering what is going on. He may have just been curious to know how she was getting on or looking to see if anything linked him to her on line. Whatever you need to know. Do not apologise to him for checking his phone his actions caused you to feel the need to check. You have to feel safe and he has to prove himself over and over again. This is the damage affairs cause take care x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails