Friday, March 29, 2019

Beware the Easy Answers

More than a dozen years ago, in shock from D-Day #1, I began rooting around for someone – anyone – who could tell me what to do. Thing is, I wanted to hear what I wanted to hear. There were plenty of voices urging me to leave my husband. The "once a cheater..." crowd can be deafening. 
Quieter, and therefore harder to find, is the "it's possible to remain married...and happy" group. Though I have a faith, I'm uncomfortable with the "God's plan" approach to marriage/infidelity. What I really wanted is what you're reading here: A site that would share a betrayed wife's truth. That there's a whole lot of uncertainty, at least at first. That the fear can be debilitating at times. That the pain can feel excruciating. That it's normal to feel lost and confused and filled with doubt. 
What I wanted to hear is what I'm saying to you now: Infidelity raises questions to which there aren't (usually) easy answers. I offer up the parenthesis because sometimes the answer is easy. Sometimes the abuse is clear. Sometimes his dismissal of your pain is clear. So that even while it might hurt like a motherf@#&er to go, it's still the obvious choice.
But for the rest of us – the vast silent majority who aren't married to a clinical narcissist or an abuser – the path forward is less clear. In a lot of cases, there isn't a path at all, until we create one.
So what I want to say now, and what I wish I had heard loud and clear 12 years ago is this: There is only one person who knows what's right for you right now. And that person is you.
Not what you wanted to hear, is it? So much more appealing to imagine that there's someone out there with the experience and the wisdom and insight to prescribe the path forward. Take two steps and call me in the morning. Yeah, I wanted that too. We all do.
But here's the thing. I don't know your husband. I don't know your children. I don't have a crystal ball that can conjure up your future. I don't know your heart.
I did know my own.
And I knew that, even as I pointed to excuses – I couldn't leave because it would be too disruptive to my children,  I couldn't leave because I could barely get dinner on the table, I couldn't leave because I had work commitments that didn't allow at that time for chaos – the truth is, I didn't want to leave. Not then. Maybe later. But not then.
And so what I wanted was someone to tell me that was the right response.
I didn't want to hear it was what God wanted for me. I didn't want to hear that my husband would undoubtedly cheat again ("once a cheater..."). What I wanted was permission to stay. To listen to my heart.
It was hard to find. And when I did find it, mostly in my therapist's office where she kept redirecting my answer-seeking to my own heart, it was hard to hear over the noise of the "he's a narcissist" mob.
And so, when I created Betrayed Wives Club in order to find others like me who'd chosen to stay and rebuild a marriage, I was adamant that I couldn't know what was right for you. I couldn't possibly predict whether your husband would cheat again, whether he would learn and grow from this or whether he would break your heart, whether he was worthy of the second chance you wanted to give him or whether he was not. But I did know this: You know. 
A couple of weeks past D-Day, having confessed to a woman who, at that point was a casual friend but who worked in my husband's office and therefore knew the OW, she gave me a bracelet with these words by Goethe stamped on it:
Just trust yourself. Then you will know how to live.
I wear that bracelet daily. For twelve years I have lived by that philosophy.
And I promise you, it works.
Just trust yourself. 
You know what you want. And while we can sometimes urge you to open your eyes to things you might rather not see, or remind you of things you've forgotten, you are the one who best knows your heart. If you and your heart aren't so familiar with each other, consider this an invitation to refamiliarize yourself
And beware those who promise you easy answers. Beware of anyone who tells you there is one – and only one – response to infidelity. Beware of those who elicit your worst impulses. Who mistake anger for power. Who confuse certainty with growth.
Just trust yourself. Then you will know how to live. 

12 comments:

  1. I don't think I could love you any more than I do Elle, I really needed this today.

    I've been questioning if I should and can stay. I've been questioning if I am accepting shit instead of what I know I'm worth. I've been questioning something so stupid like "did the sex feel good for him?" Of course it did, and I fucking hate that. But as a sex addict, I don't think he was having sex for the feel good of it; it was an attempt to fill a cup that had many holes in it (no pun intended).

    I know I can stay, I know my worth, but does he deserve me is the real question. He didn't back then, but based on how he is and what he's doing and who he is today - the answer is yes.

    You're right, there is no one that can tell us - our hearts will tell us, our hearts know.

    Sometimes we have to look at exactly what is happening, and tell that voice in our heads to shut the hell up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you. The SA part of it can make it feel alternatively more/less complicated. More because there's usually so many people over such a long period of time. Less because there's likely little emotional connection. And sex can feel good physically while being emotionally deadening.
      In the end, we take it step by step. Is he someone I want to be with today? Then...here we are.

      Delete
    2. Spouse of a sex addict - I am the spouse of a sex addict also. I love him. And I love this site for allowing me to love him and not feel guilty for loving him or for staying. My H has made tremendous strides in getting better. He was even honest and told me he was like a kid in a candy store. Not what I wanted to hear.
      I don't know how far you are from D-day but as Beach Girl has taught me, it is up to me to be happy. Being happy is making my own decisions about my life. I choose to stay. I choose him. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like hell. I am extremely hopeful that my shift, as Beach Girl has experienced, will happen for me too.

      Delete
  2. I get stuck in my head too often and it can be hard to trust myself. I don't know what I want. Curious if anyone can speak to not having kids after an affair. There is lots of info out there on kids and effect on affair, but what about not having kids? Do you feel satisfied? I am just so jealous of the other woman and her family...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANC,
      Learning to trust ourselves can be tough but it's the only way forward and not just in terms of healing from infidelity. It helps us create a life that is meaningful and rich, from work to family to relationships.
      As for whether or not to have children, that's such a personal decision with a lot of things to take into account. Kids will change your relationship, absolutely. And the decision to have kids needs to be rooted in knowing yourself and what you want. And even then...it's a wild card. My three children are my favorite people in the world. But they have absolutely impacted my career (and not for the better!), at times threatened my sanity, and created plenty of stress. It's like marriage -- there will be good, there will be bad and there will be lots in-between.
      There are a number of recent books about the decision to not have children, such as: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JI0W6VE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
      There's also this. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/reader-center/no-kids-no-regrets.html
      Whatever you do, do it with your eyes as wide open as possible.

      Delete
  3. Elle, you have aptly described my own journey through this agonizing experience. The shock of D-day, the awful reality that my life (our life) was changed forever overwhelmed me yet I knew in my heart that I needed to figure it out on my own. With the exception of my therapist, I told not a soul about my person pain. I did not want anyone to influence me. I have no idea how I lived through those dark days, even in retrospect. I know what I did but I have no idea where the strength came from to get up every day and go to work, see my kids and grand kids and do my best to take care of myself without killing my husband. I gave him a year to get his life together with very, very tight boundaries and he held on to that lifeline because he was drowning in pain. I believe I've shared recently that something shifted in me within the last two months. I no longer think about my past life/marriage much at all unless something like the Patriots owner shows up. (WTF?) My husband and I are in the best place we've ever been and not too long ago we found ourselves actually laughing and joking about an article about a retirement community in Florida where infidelity is widespread. I mean we seriously laughed about that and joked. I never ever would have thought that possible. Last night we were sitting outside talking about a family member who has a lot of chaos going on in his life and hubby said something about it and I responded, "No, we once had all that chaos in our life but life is good now. We are not doing that or going back again and he responded, you are right! Life is great now and I appreciate you and my new life every living moment." So like you, I am fortunate to be married to a man who accepted all that he did and changed everything. I'm so much back to the "me" I remember. It took a long time and there are still some things that I know I will need to deal with but overall, I had to figure this out myself. Much love to you for all you have done for me and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A whole lot of wisdom in your words, Hopeful30.

      Delete
    2. Beach Girl. As usual I could have written something very similar. Our paths seem to follow the same ups and downs. We find ourselves in a similar spot now too. Just last night we had a major emotional discussion. A good one. I honestly did not think I would come out of this alive after dday. I never knew I had this amount of strength in me. Listening to my husband last night I am so thankful I gave him a second chance. He has made the most of it and truly transformed himself. We joke at times about infidelity and I never thought we would do that. For me like you something clicked. And what I realized is he cheated on himself not me. He let himself down. Of course I was affected deeply by it but it makes me sad he let himself down. Really everything he did had nothing to do with me but everything to do with himself. I hope others can find a path and can get to as good of a spot as we have. I hate the path we took but our relationship is at a whole new level. Thanks to everyone through these years! Thanks to Elle for this space.

      Delete
  4. Good morning. I hear you - - - there are no easy answers and no one right answer.

    You know what I struggle with? Lately, many "partner sensitive" therapists who write about SA and healing relationships have been using the word abuse. It's a pretty scary word. It's not a word I'd use to describe myself ("abused"). But they are saying lying, gaslighting, a double life, putting us at risk of sexual disease, etc. etc. etc. is abusive. They say DARVO is abusive. It's not typical "wife-beater" abuse with physical beatings.

    Sometimes I think I shouldn't read anymore about "this stuff" and follow my inner guidance. But then my inner guidance reminds me I need support and guidance.

    You're right about the heart. My heart knows my husband is a good man inside who loves me. He made some really horrid choices. He almost ended his life. It's hard for me to think clearly at times b/c of the PTSD I developed. We have complicated situations. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've struggled with that as well. In fact, many years ago, I invited a rabbi to post on this site who argued that infidelity is abuse. Full stop.
      I've come to see the shades of grey. I think there are parts of infidelity that look like abuse -- exposing my (and my children, whom I breastfed) to the possibility of STDs. The gaslighting.
      And I don't want to sound like I don't take that seriously but what's the benefit of seeing that as abuse. It doesn't help with my decision making (unless I want to leave). It doesn't change anything with regards to my husband's remorse. He acknowledges that, whatever name we put on it, it was unacceptable. It was damaging to me and our family. But -- and here's a key part of it -- it was damaging to him too. He was also hurting himself. Just like an alcoholic who lies, gaslights, endangers his/her family. Never okay. Not ever. But...abusive? I don't know.
      I hope you're getting treated for post-trauma. And I would, for a while anyway, let yourself digest what's happened and come up with your own thoughts about where you stand now. Not calling it abuse doesn't make cheating/sex addiction any more acceptable.

      Delete
  5. I love this blog and the comments really help me feel like I am not alone in this journey. I know this post is from 2019, but I have found it really helpful. Hope that two years from this post that everyone who commented is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unknown, this blog has been a great comfort for many women through all the years. I was part of the regular posters from 2014…until I just got busy with new grandchildren and working diligently with my husband to repair the damage from his affair. It’s a long journey but so worth it if you have a h willing to do the hard work and continue doing the hard work as long as it takes…I can honestly say that we are in a much better place than we were in those early first few years but it takes work on both of us to maintain the connection we have now. In our 60’s and trying to survive not only his infidelity 10 years ago but the many health issues that come with aging. Just know that some of us are doing better and that some day if not already for you…I know you will find a better place…
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails