Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Don't Build the Same House

If a house is levelled, don't build the same house.

~Dr. Debi Silber, PBT Institute


If there is one fundamental misunderstanding by those who don't see the inside of our marriage (but who think they do, and yes, I'm talking about the other woman), it's that our marriage post-infidelity is pretty much the same as our marriage pre-infidelity. I've heard the wails: "He gets to go back to his wife and his marriage and I'm alone." As if we welcome them back with open arms. As if we aren't shattered by betrayal. As if...

But it's a mistake that, sometimes, gets made by those of us inside the marriage. We're so desperate to get past this, to have our marriage back, that we build the same house, as Dr. Debi Silber puts it. We recreate the same marriage with the same dynamics with the same guy and then expect everything to be different. Or at least one thing to be different: That he doesn't cheat again.

It's lunacy, isn't it? Even if we thought our marriage was great – even if he's telling us that our marriage was great, that his cheating had nothing to do with us, that he never stopped loving us – even with that, we still need to build a new house. Cause the old house is gone. The trauma of betrayal blew that baby to bits.

But the thing with trauma is that it can help us lay down an entirely new foundation. This is, in no way the same as saying that trauma is "good" because it helps us grow. (In some cases, it does exactly the opposite as Lisa Arends so beautifully described in a recent blog post on her site.) But trauma, when it hits us as adults, is lay bare all the cracks. In my case, the trauma of my husband's betrayal forced me to look at all the ways in which I'd been abandoning myself. I brought childhood trauma into my marriage. I was the capable one, the responsible one, the "fixer". Which left my husband the role of errant teenager, which fed into his family dynamic that, without an adult telling him what to do, he was likely to get it wrong. And so I seethed with resentment that I had to do everything. And my husband seethed with resentment that he was treated like a child. 

Enter the trauma of betrayal. I had the choice to either build the same damn house or build a new one. And though I still slip into that old house – my default as fixer shows up every single time I'm stressed – I nonetheless built a new one. One that required my husband to be a partner to me. One that required my husband to work through his own childhood stuff while I addressed mine. 

As Dr. Silber tells us, the problem isn't trauma, it's staying there. When you heal from it, you learn that even though it was done to you, it wasn't about you.

I had to learn that. And I don't know how else I would have learned that if I hadn't had my metaphorical house blown up. We betrayed wives tend to spend a lot of time playing "what if". What if he'd never cheated, would I be happier? What if he'd never cheated, would I feel more secure? 

It's a fool's game. He did cheat. And we are left to rebuild a new house with the same husband (or rather a husband who'd damn well better not stay the same), or to rebuild a life without him as our husband. Either choice is a perfectly reasonable one. But if you choose to stay, you cannot move back into that old house, no matter what the other woman thinks. That house is gone. 






6 comments:

  1. This post hits hard to me because I tried. I loved him (still do) so much, I just KNEW I was going to forgive him. I had no idea how, or when, but I knew I wanted to forgive him. And this site helped so so much. I felt heard, supported, I felt not-stupid for staying. We weren’t even married, if it wasn’t for the pandemic we wouldn’t even have been in the same city.
    He accepted some of my boundaries (which I learned here): access to his devices, no contact with her. But he never agreed to go to therapy. And I couldn’t afford it for myself, so I felt like I couldn’t really push for couple’s therapy. And I felt like even without that we were making some progress, until a bad day/fight came and he left. About a month later he came back, and we got back together, and I was (finally!) feeling good about us. And then I found out he had gone back to texting her when we were apart. And everything came crashing down again. He tried to keep in touch with me for about a week, and then he just gave up. Said I would be better off without him bla bla bla. All I wanted was for him to prove to me that he meant what he said, about loving me, about wanting to make it up. And after a few weeks he came back, begging, and I just couldn’t believe him that easily again you know? So I made it hard, not exactly on purpose, but I just had so much disappointment, frustration and anger that I had never let before on so I wouldn’t hurt him. When we were finally at a good point, when I was beginning to feel like I could try again, and that he was truly acknowledging the pain he had caused, he would disappear for one or two days (no texts, no phone calls) and it triggered me, and even though I knew he was extremely busy and tired (medical residence) I let him know and he said he would do better. And then it happened again and I just couldn’t be bothered to let him know -again- so I didn’t answer his texts for 3 days (petty, childish, immature, I know). When I finally answered he told me he had the worst weekend of his life, that he let me go because he thought I didn’t want anything to do with him anymore. And then we saw each other, he said he was there because he wanted me back. And then, a few days later he told me he was never going to change and it was better this way (not being together).
    He said I tried to “change him” (asking him to stop contact with their common friends), that I “conditioned” him to do things (meaning my boundaries). He even said (and I quote) “you never understood that I wanted nothing to do with her, I just had a semi friendship with her”. Even when you knew it hurt me if you kept in touch with her? “It was going to end eventually”

    And now I’m left in the dark. I realize he just couldn’t/wasn’t willing to do his work. But at the same time I can tell he’s scared, afraid. And he tells me he tried to do things right but he got tired of feeling stuck. And here I am, wishing he would change his mind. Wishing he would fight for us. Like I did when I fought the darkness of betrayal and forgiving.
    I feel like I was the only one willing to go through the darkness and the rough times.
    I don’t want to let him go and I don’t know how. But he seems pretty convinced, and I already asked and prodded and what not. I know I am fine on my own, I rarely feel sad, it’s not like I miss him (except when something happens and I wish I could tell him about it), and I feel good. But there’s something missing. Him. We became good friends, even through those awful months after D day, we managed to keep the friendship and even some spark alive.
    How do I do this? Or more to the point, how?
    This probably won’t make much sense at all but anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes complete sense,Sarimd. If you read many of the comments on this site, you discover that so many of us felt exactly as you do. But it's always easier to see the situation from the outside and he's telling you that he can't or won't do what you need right now. He's telling you that your pain is less important to him than avoiding his own discomfort. A lot of these guys are willing to say, "yeah, I'm the bad guy and I'm so sorry and it won't happen again" blah blah blah but when we say, "Okay, I need you to do x, y and z so that you can be healthy for this relationship", they aren't willing to do it.
      So..."how do I do this?" You do it even though it will hurt. You do it by refusing to betray yourself. You do it by NOT abandoning your boundaries because you deserve to be treated with respect and honor.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Elle, for your reply.
      You’re right, of course. It’s so hard though isn’t it? Not betraying ourselves. You’ve talked about it a lot here. It’s so hard to change those patterns that we learned in childhood, of people pleasing, of trying “harder” in order to feel loved, accepted or chosen.
      These past few days were so hard, realizing that there are other people around me who give so little to me while feeling like I give them my best most of the time, and they don’t even have the courtesy of listening to me while I tell a silly story. And they’re my closest family. And if I speak up about not feeling heard or seen, it’s taken as a “toxic” attitude.
      Big sigh here.
      I feel so tired. I’m grateful for everything I have that allows me to take care of myself, to give love to myself, but there’s only so much I can give myself without wishing it came from others.
      Anyway, your blog is a safe haven. I come here almost every day, and even if you don’t post every day, I read something every time. Reading your past posts is always a breath of fresh air.
      And since I’m talking about your site, I might as well propose something to you. I’m bilingual, and for a while now I’ve thought about how wonderful it would be for spanish speaking women to find a site like yours. I certainly haven’t found anything like it. I would happily translate your posts to spanish. (I worked as an advanced level english teacher for a few years, and I’ve also done translation in various sports and medical events). Let me know if you’re interested.
      Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your words and your work.

      Delete
  2. The line about them never stopped loving us was especially painful. Phrases like that and 'I never left' and 'Let me live my best' (okay that last one is specific to me) will forever hurt. Because truth is you were gone, even if only emotionally, and you say you never stopped loving me but, you damn sure didn't respect me. And you can't have one without the other in marriage. As far as trauma, it has made me anxious, mistrustful and paranoid. I made me stronger.

    My what ifs are things like, 'What if I never found out?' and 'What if it's still going on?' or 'What of there is significant portions being left out of the confession ?'. Those thoughts and several others run through my head regularly.

    I completely agree with the rebuilding of the house analogy but, I relate more to Peter Pan coming back to reality. I lived in a Neverland of sorts for 20 years and that deviating night in June shattered all of that and the fall HURT. Now WE are doing work to create a new reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mister J,
      Glad to hear that you're both doing the necessary work. We take whatever analogies help us move forward.

      Delete
  3. https://thepbtinstitute.com/the-many-sides-of-betrayal/

    This was a terrific link Elle and I thank you again. While I am way past the initial pain and questioning I did take some time to look through Dr. Silber's website and the link above is to a fabulous blog post. Even after 6 years this blog post has a profound effect on my psyche because my husband did see himself as someone he never wanted to be and worked to change his life. It is still moving in the right direction. I would hope that others here have a partner who is mature enough to make those changes too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails