Monday, August 20, 2018

The Subtle Art of Healing From Betrayal

"Everything worthwhile in life is won through surmounting the associated negative experience. Any attempt to escape the negative, to avoid it or quash it or silence it, only backfires. The avoidance of suffering is a form of suffering. The avoidance of struggle is a struggle. The denial of failure is a failure. Hiding what is shameful is itself a form of shame." ~Mark Manson, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

He speaks the truth. I wish I could tell you that if you do x, y or z, your pain will vanish, your dreams will come true and all will be right in the world.
Actually, let me begin again.
He speaks the truth. And he's telling you exactly how to make your pain, well, not vanish but dissipate more quickly, and how to, slowly, make things right in your world.
The problem is that what he's telling us to do are things most of us don't want to do. He's telling us that the only way to come out the other side of the shitcircus that is betrayal is to feel the pain, to suffer, to engage in the struggle, to pull our shame and humiliation and profound sadness from the shadows and stare it down.
And none of that sounds fun.
Far better, we think, to embrace the lost weight, buy nice clothes, put on a smile and tell anyone who asks that things are jim-dandy, thanks for asking. Far better, we think, to pour ourselves an extra-large glass of Chardonnay before dinner. To do anything that keeps the pain at bay just a bit longer.
Cause admitting we're in pain, even to ourselves, sucks. It feels like victimhood. Vulnerability feels like a loss of power.
Besides, crying makes our eyes all puffy.
I've spent much of the past year avoiding my own pain. In the past few weeks, it has caught up to me. My pain likes to wake me up at 2 a.m. "Hey," it says, and begins cataloguing all the ways in which I've been sucker punched:
Frequently, my pain list works backwards. It begins with a professional disappointment that feels less like an oversight than a deliberate exclusion. And then there's all the ways in which I feel like a terrible mother because I have three wonderful kids who genuinely love spending time with me and all I can do is wish away the days until they're in school and I can have my quiet, solitary days back to write. And then I'm afraid that because I'm not appreciating these days with my children that the universe will snatch them from me. There will be a drowning. An automobile accident. A suicide.
Ah yes, a suicide. I get there after 30 minutes of stewing in my own anxiety. When my daughter was struggling in the fall, still not clearly diagnosed as having bipolar disorder, calling me in the middle of the night to tell me she "can't do this anymore." "This" was "life."
I never panicked. I talked with her for hours until she would fall asleep. And then I would drive like a bat out of hell for two hours to the city where she lived and I would talk to doctors and nurses and social workers and school psychologists and plead with them to help her.
She got help. She got a diagnosis after she told a psychiatrist that she couldn't keep herself safe, which is hospital code for "suicide risk".
And I carried on. I had two big assignments due so I worked on those in between visiting my daughter in the hospital.
I cried once and only briefly before chastising myself to stop it.
Stupidly, I took pride in that.
Even with everything I've learned about the value of tears, of feeling the pain, I couldn't let myself feel how much pain I was in.
It felt selfish to experience my own pain when my daughter's seemed worse. Those old scripts, learned from a childhood of living with addicts, took over. Be strong. Don't tell people what's going on because you'll be judged. Don't cry because you won't be able to stop. Take care of others, that's your job.
And so here I am. Months later. Awake through the night because my pain won't be ignored any longer. "The avoidance of suffering is a form of suffering," Mark Manson tells us.
I have suffered the past months as I dodged my pain. I have felt edgy, bitter, judgemental, critical. My anxiety gets easily ignited by others' anxiety. I have felt anything but the profound sadness of learning that my daughter has a chronic illness with a high suicide rate that will likely require her to be medicated for much of her life. There's plenty we don't know. Whether her illness will get in the way of career aspirations, or travel plans, or her desire to have children of her own (it has a genetic component).
And I have busied myself too often with wondering about her future because it distracts me from my present pain.
And so pain wakes me at 2 a.m.
"Hello," it says. "I'm still here."



11 comments:

  1. I’m glad it’s not just me who’s counting the days till the kids go back to school, I’m longing some peace and quiet and the house to myself.

    Elle you’ve had a whole lot of pain going on and I cannot imagine how you deal with the pain of your daughters diagnosis. Thank god you knew what to ask for and demanded she got the services she so desperately needs. Elle your an absolutely fantastic mother and wife, your kids are so so lucky to have you protecting them every step of the way. So please don’t feel guilty. Now that your pain is waking you in the middle of the night you need to tend to it, just like you did for your daughter, reassure that pain, take care of it and lay it to rest. I thank you Elle for still being here for is in the mist of all that Is happening in your life.. it just shows me how wonderful you are .. love you lots Elle . Take care and accept this big hug from me xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing, but nothing, is as devastating as the mental health struggles of our children. I say this as the mother of two who have suffered mightily through the years. Our primordial instinct to protect them and our inability to do so can be so very unbearable. I don't know much, but I do know how grateful I am that we live in a time where drugs exist that didn't a generation ago, and when therapies have gotten better and more efficacious. I don't have a lot to say other than I know your pain, and I know how scary and how devastating these worries are. From my heart to yours, I am sending you strong thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle, Thank you for that post. I feel since dday my life is a set of contradictions. Just like you I craved time alone all summer, now I am almost in tears since I miss my kids. I think about how in not that many years they will be even more independent going off to college. It almost crushes me. I think about how lucky I am that my husband and I have worked so well together through all of this betrayal and creating a new marriage. But then all of a sudden I hate him for what he did and I am resentful of his years of lies. I could go on but yes every day or week I face major contradictions. I find being vulnerable makes me feel less safe. It took me a long time to originally open up to my husband. I am and always was more introverted and protected myself. I have been honest with him that it really damaged me from that perspective. And on top of it the fact I confronted him repeatedly only for him to lie to me for over 10 years. In the end the same thing happens to me. I try to take care of myself and everything else then it bubbles over. This is complicated and hard. Thinking of you, your family and your daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elle, the hardest part is processing how you can fix it all, when you know you can’t. Hugs my friend. Thanks for sharing your pain and struggles. We all have similar happenings in our lives with kids too. It easy to try and dismiss your own pain and struggle, but in dealing with your kids’...that’s awful pain. Thinking of you today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Elle--we, your warriors, are still here too. We will wait out the pain with you. I'm so sorry for all that you been carrying, all while tending to our pain and showing us the path forward. What a mighty role you play to so many. While I'm sure it is satisfying and so meaningful, it also must be exhausting sometimes, when you just need someone to show YOU the light. I wish I had words to offer that could be even half as insightful and comforting as the kindness you've shown all of us here. Sending big hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Hello everyone, I'm not sure what I'm asking for but if you have any support of any kind please leave a comment.
    My H had a EM/PA it lasted 10 months I think! as he can't remember when the EM started but the PA started in Sep 16 found out 4th June 17 We decided work together for 1yr to see if we could be together & make us work. I had to prize information out of him (trickle truth) gave him many opportunities to leave if this was not for him. I have always said how can I heal & forgive whats happened if I don't know whats happened. So lot's have changed between us, good things! Boundaries in place inc no more secrets & lies. Get to 1 yr re-new wedding vows & look forward to a new marriage! Simple Right! Happy ever after! Nope! start to feel a anger from him & verbal anger for no reason:( just couldn't put my finger on it, have tried asking about but answers didn't add up, saying he didn't know how to help me as I am still getting over everything. I do except whats happened, understand it all No I'm not there yet! So a couple of nights ago I printed out Mistakes Former Cheaters Make in Marital Recovery After a Affair. Yep he sees mistakes he has made.I had only 2 questions left I needed answered, 1 When he told me he was unhappy, didn't love me & wanted to leave me before he started A why did he not say a thing! 2 When EM started. He said he would answer this morning. No I didn't get them answered! all I got was I said I didn't love you & wanted to leave you as that's what you wanted to hear!!! WTF Really!!! and still can't remember when EM part started. So I end up being a not so happy bunny & ask him about a night he stayed out! it has never felt right his answer but this is what I am having a real problem with today. On the 31st Oct 16 he never came home he had gone to a works do end of season for his cleaners. He is the housekeeping manager of a holiday park he said he got so drunk he stayed in the caravan the party was in, one of the employees hired the van for the weekend not the OW. but now he tells me he did stay with the OW that night in another caravan. Ok I'm pissed! have been lied now for 14 months of something that happened 22 months ago ( remember boundaries) but what gets me more is 3 months ago I started to work WITH him to help with stress, as park is so busy.With me not knowing have been in cleaning that caravan, making the bed up in there, the same bed he slept in with her! I can't even ride in his car because of them being together init & he knows this! but gets me to clean & make up the bed he slept in with her! Ok I know it was 22 months ago in that bed but I am so shocked he would even let me enter there! Its not that I even had to be in there, I wouldn't of even noticed if he had kept me away as there is over 130 vans and 20 other people there to clean! I am so lost over this, the affair was bad enough but I really think he has no respect for me or my feeling at all! By the way he said he didn't think as I knew nothing about it so it didn't matter! WTF Sorry but just needed to get it all out & now going to bed to cry! I feel I am never going to be aloud to heal :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with this too. On dday one I got what I would call minimized details of my husband's two affairs. Well five months later I got the full info. Mainly just that he minimized how long they lasted. They were both over ten years overlapping. That sounds bad way worse than two years here or there. And my husband had no idea what year the one affair started. I finally wrote him a letter telling how I felt and that I knew there was more to what he was telling me. I told him I would rather be slapped with the truth than kissed by a lie. He said that line got to him. He had compartmentalized and repressed what had happened. My husband had broken up with both ow 15 months before dday. So I think he just swept it under the rug in his own mind. At least for my husband he was ashamed even when having his affairs and he told himself whatever he had to. Part of this process goes beyond us but it is about our husbands facing what they have done. And in the end I hate what he did to me/us but he betrayed himself first. He had to convince himself and tell himself a lot of lies to make these poor decisions. That has been a long process for my husband to work through. I will say too dday was rough but dday 2 was much worse. I thought we had established with a lot of work that transparency was critical. Then to be lied to for five more months about did me in. He saw it as minor details at the time. What I grew to learn is that he pushed the envelope on everything. All aspects of his life he cut corners. So that was the way he operated. He had to commit to changing how he lived his life in order to stay with me. For me it was eye opening that so much of what we have dealt with goes way beyond the betrayals. The real work for us has been all of this other stuff.

      Delete
    2. Dawn
      I’m so sorry for what you’re living through! I certainly understand the bed issues! Damn men are so dense when it comes to female emotions! My h couldn’t understand how it made me feel when I found out that she had made her passionate sex with my h in our house and our bed! I was tortured sleeping in that bed both with my h and especially when he was traveling out of town for work! We got rid of that bad along with many other things that were ours until she tainted them! If y’all are in therapy, this could be explained better by a therapist so that he understands your feelings. It’s taken years for us to get to the place we’re at now still not easy, but my h tries to understand the triggers and he usually can help me through them. I have to let him deal with his triggers and I know he has them too! We talk about them when they happen and we get through them together. Remember that when they were in the middle of the affair and maybe later after as well, they tend not to remember details. I’m not sure if it’s a conscience thing but I know that the more time passes the less my h remembers details. I don’t think it’s because he doesn’t want to tell me but that he’s trying to put it all out of his mind! Sending hugs!

      Delete
  7. What a really touching post Elle. I can identify and sympathise with all of your worries and slights, professional and with your daughter, having had the difficult experience with my son and worries about my second son's mental health also. All the fears of what might happen (and in my nephew's case of course, it did). I lie awake too at nights and things seem catastrophic and impossible to contend with. Last night I faced into the reality that despite 4 years of huge pain and struggle to reconcile my husband's mental makeup allowed him this time last year to initiate hidden lunches with interested female friends, a direct match to the actions of his affair. My pain didn't matter, all the years of struggle seemed for nothing. Twenty years of a marriage is strewn with disconnection and lies. And yet. And yet, more than ever I know that we have to engage with the struggle, we have to enjoy the light alongside the dark, and we can. We have to acknowledge how rough life has been and how battered we feel and how understandable that is and how understandable it is that we aren't going to succeed at every turn even when facing into it, that things will fall through the net. Even last night, when thinking that life can be even blacker and more complicated that I ever imagined it would be (I knew things could happen, death, illness etc but I didn't realise how cruel people close to you could be) I realised that I'm finally finding compassion for myself, finally finding myself again and you're right, facing into the absolute rubbish of what's happened or happening is part of that. Its also the most important thing that a betraying spouse has to learn - how to sit with their own pain, their own feelings of weakness, entitlement, old hurts, the hurt of the pain they caused and just accept it and then see what can be done in the face of it. All the dodging and hiding is what caused the problem in the first place. All the ducking away from our own pain both created in childhood and reawakened in betrayal causes further pain, disengagement, death of the soul, separation from the marrow of life and all its still possible joys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elle my heart aches for you the one pain or struggle wed gladly take on and carry so they dont have to would be without a doubt one of our children's. Lying awake if something i do often for a magnitude of reasons as moms we want to fix it ... i know. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you, Elle, and your family. Eventually the pain and sorrow will be exhausted and allow you a break, where rest and sleep will return.

    Just keep showing up. That bad stuff is not the full picture, although at 2am it might seem so.

    It's like an unwelcome guest that will become less in your way once you offer it a place to sit down. And eventually it will leave you in peace.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails