Monday, July 30, 2018

Turns Out My Idiot Husband Isn't the Idiot. I Am.

I came thisclose to walking away from my marriage this past weekend. A bit surprising, for sure. Two days ago, things were fine.
But over dinner Saturday night, with my family and friend of my son gathered around the table, talk turned to the various #MeToo allegations. We discussed a well-known movie star, beloved by so many, including us. "Did more than one woman accuse him?" my husband asked.
In a movie version of that moment, there would be a pause. The camera would pan to my face, my 20-year-old daughter's face. And then the stricken face of my husband who realized what he'd said too late.
We piled on.
He doubled down.
What, to me, was an important discussion about the way we talk about sexual harassment and assault was, to him, lecturing and attacking.
He was still furious the next day.
Which infuriated me.
He told me he was sick of being lectured by me, that he said nothing wrong. I tried to explain to him the frustration of a lifetime of moments where I'd been silenced, where I'd felt threatened, and including a night when I'd been sexually assaulted. "Does that only count if there's an army of women who can confirm I'm telling the truth?" I demanded.
We talked about privilege. He – get this – honestly doesn't think that, as a white man who grew up as a 1 percenter, that he's had privilege. Though he admitted, "I've just never thought about it."
"Not having to think about it is the definition of privilege," I said.
I walked away frustrated. My thoughts went something like this:
I can't believe I'm married to this idiot. How can anyone be so UN-self-aware? What am I doing with him? We clearly don't share a value system. And so on.
I quickly moved to plotting my escape. The kids were getting older. I could easily leave the marriage. Imagine how great it would be to be with a man who listened, who didn't get defensive, who wasn't blind to his own privilege, who was a true feminist.
In the meantime, my husband has put the leashes on our two dogs and gone for a walk. I vaguely imagined that he, too, was plotting his escape from this marriage.
And then, he came home.
"Can I talk to you?" he asked, ducking into an empty bedroom so that the ears of our children, my father, and various of our kids' friends couldn't overhear.
I was still fuming but fear was growing in my belly. What if he really was going to tell me he wanted out?
"I"m sorry," he said. "I'm trying to understand what you're telling me but I don't. But, really, I'm trying."
And with that, my anger (almost) vanished.
My mind, having swung wildly in the direction of he's an idiot found equilibrium somewhere closer to the he's human part of the spectrum.
And, well, I hadn't exactly conducted myself with compassion or a genuine curiosity about his point of view, preferring instead of bludgeon him into acquiescence.
All of which is to say, all I've ever really needed in a relationship is someone who's willing to try and hear my point of view. And, I suppose, someone to call me out when my own behaviour could use a makeover.
He and I have come a long way but this weekend reminded me that, when tensions are high and self-regulation is low (I had been feeling resentful all last week about all the preparation I've been doing for houseguests we have coming, which is a sure sign that I'm violating my own boundaries and not practicing enough self-care), we'll too often fall back into our old, unhealthy patterns of engagement. Me chastising, him defending. My the mother, him the errant child.
Thanks to his ability to step out of that pattern, to examine it and to come to me as a mature adult, we got ourselves back on track.
So, I won't be leaving my husband after all.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Elle, I actually got a pain in my stomach at the start of the post but that all changed at the end and I’m so happy for you and your h. He’s a man who can look at his opinions and learn from others I like that Elle, I like it a lot.. glad you realised You need to practise more self care too.. I learn so much from you Elle, thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam A,
      He's SOMETIMES a man who can look at his opinions. What astounded me most was how quickly we revert back to those old entrenched behaviours. He gets SOOOOO defensive when he thinks he's being disrespected. I get SOOOOOO angry when I feel I'm not being listened to. An old old script for both of us.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Elle, it is so nice to know that we are all human, including you. My husband and I have had this conversation over the past three years much more so than before that. I have to say that although he is much more aware of the injustice of the victims of the "me too" movement he tends to live in that foggy comfort afforded to the 98% Brit that he is. Blindly going where he and his white male peers have always gone which allowed him and his sexual entitlement to go where he went. I'm pretty bold when this kind of shit happens now. I'm also working to be more mature about my approach to him. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm actually more human (read: flawed) than most! ;)
      This #MeToo reckoning is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. It's just that so many of us women have been waiting so freaking long and now that it feels like we have even the slightest opening to air our grievances, we are OUT of patience. I think it helped my husband "get" it when our 20-year-old daughter looked straight at him and said, "so if I came home and told you I'd been sexually assaulted, you wouldn't believe me?"
      He looked stunned. And yes, it's sad that a lot of these guys can't see women as fully human unless it's framed as their wives or their daughters...but it is what it is.
      And, of course, my husband realized what exactly he was saying when my daughter phrased it the way she did.

      Delete
    2. Don’t you just love it when our kids put us in our place : )

      Delete
  3. I find as time goes on further from dday that we settle back into old ways. This is a major issues especially since pre dday I did not "stand my ground" or express my opinions as strongly as I do now. I am not a confrontational person then or now. However I say what I think. Not to start a fight but I did grow up where it is good and okay to agree to disagree.

    This reminds me of the talk we had where I told my husband about an acquaintance of 12+ years never knew I worked. But I knew all about her life from those 12 years and many years before that. I know everything about her childhood and life before kids. I am sure she has no idea where I even grew up. I expressed in general how I find it hard to be around those type of people who do not ask questions or take any interest in others. That turned into him saying how he likes people thinking I don't work. That way they attribute all of our success to him and his career. He always gives credit for all I do at home and with the kids but it was a little bit like this. I was floored and still struggle with that. He claimed it was old school and it did boost his ego. I was thinking just like those women and those affairs boosted his ego. Is that really what he needs??

    In general I would say my husband is more defensive lately. He is easier to anger. He feels like I am always complaining about him or not happy with what he is doing. I am not sure what to tell him. I am not going to stay in a marriage where I have to swallow my tongue to make him feel okay. He will apologize but we are stuck in the loop where it does not change the behavior going forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopeful30,
      I've been wondering if this isn't a consequence of a longtime marriage as much as anything else. I think we get to a point in our lives where we, as women, have tolerated so much bullshit in both our professional and personal lives. White males have, largely, been oblivious to it. And we get to a point where we're just done. Done explaining. Done pussy-footing to spare their egos. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet but, like you, I also won't silence myself in favor of keeping the peace. I don't think we do anyone any favours by letting them NOT evolve. I hope to continue challenging my own thinking and point of views until I die.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for putting before me the words and thoughts I am too angry to realize.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopeful 30, I also experience some of this at times. It reminds me of what my therapist said about a year into the disclosure regarding our conversations. She suggested I approach him with, "How would you feel....? or What do you think....: I know it isn't the same. Right now, when my husband gets defensive about something I will ask, "Why are you defensive?" After he responds I will often ask, "How would you prefer I ask this question or bring it up with you?" Good luck. I'm not going to be silenced either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do the same. And when he is defensive I make a point to say what I am telling him is how I feel. He can do what he wants with it. And if he feels bad there is probably some truth in it. And yes it sucks but this is reality.

      Delete
  6. I’m not sure anyone could silence my tongue! I’ve always been a say it first if it’s in my brain and think about it after. Sometimes that’s probably my worst trait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had one of those infuriating moments just yesterday over a much smaller issue. We have guest arriving Saturday and construction going on and the contractor is not picking up everything on a daily basis. My H was struggling to get one section clean and i offered to start on another. He did not hear my offer as an OFFER, but as a put down that HE was not doing enough fast enough. he bristled, and I bristled back. It started to escalate. I neither said nor THOUGHT the he was slacking, but that's how he heard it. He finally explained, once again its how he was brought up, nothing was ever good enough and my offer to help felt like i was insinuating that he was not doing anything right. and I again asked him to look at me telling him "that's not me, that's not what i am saying, i am offering to HELP you". and I grabbed his hand and told him to look at me..he really hardly could. For what ever reason, it was just REALLY raw. the look of sadness on his face, and vulnerability I've never had to fight so much to hold his hand.He kept pulling away. It might sound trite, but in those first moments that he was bristling and fighting i jumped again to "why am i putting up with this shit" and I picture my solo journey. This one was nipped in the bud, I've had others that last much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you Theresa sometimes I think before I speak. But this infidelity thing has caused me to being done walking on eggshells, done considering my words to spare his feelings, done worrying about how to say something. Done! Done! Done!
    My H is an introvert and we had to go to the movies 30 minutes early. We had to go out to eat when it wasn’t busy. He didn’t go to most weddings or parties with me. But now that he had visited prostitutes I’ve said no more!! I will no longer cater to your introverted needs. If you can go take your clothes off and do all that with a stranger I’m done. Done! Done ! Done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thisclose. Thank you for that, Elle. Your courage shines through in every post. I lose it when I hear h defend white men, and we've had some loud (and dead silent) disagreements. But he's not always wrong... as the mom of a young adult male, I am scared. One false accusation could end our son's college career. I saw a poster on campus that said, "No means no, maybe means no, drunk means no." I pray that we are all learning to look out for one another. I pray that we are learning to listen. Real women, real men... that's what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One other thing my husband always did and is getting back to doing is defending others. I feel like it is over validating me. Maybe he is just being honest and I do not want to hear it. For example one of my close friends has cancelled on me several times now. Always a reason so I get it. But I just said this makes me want to stop trying and wait for her to plan/initiate contact and making new plans. He says "you should be more understanding and maybe she is going through something, life is hard and busy". And yes all true but it is all connected back to in any relationship when I put forth an effort and make plans it takes a lot from me. And especially when my closest friends repeatedly back out it is hard on me. I am more vulnerable. He typically always made excuses/defended friends for less than good behavior. I am more moralistic for sure. I don't know this is a delicate area for me. I would like to just hear him say that sucks for you or that is annoying it keeps happening vs finding reasons to be more understanding of them. I am sure it connects to these people have let me down just like he did. I get that. But before dday I was unaffected. Now I am not bouncing back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It feels like it's always the straw breaking the camels back in my house of cards. I'm ready to scream divorce at any moment. And I do. I want him to leave and told him so many times but he won't. It's misruable. We keep it civil most times but one disagreement and gloves come off.

    I was never feeling this way before affair. I was willin g to fight for the marriage. I can't seem to love him like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails