Saturday, March 27, 2021

When healing hurts (which it always does)

And healing is rarely comfortable. It’s a good thing, healing — but it’s not a pure thing, a perfect thing. It’s stitches, it’s resetting of bone, it’s relearning how to walk, it’s a limb in a cast, it’s the itch of cells rejoining. It’s uncomfortable. It hurts. It feels strange. That, I suspect, is where we’re at right now. At the point just past trauma’s last mile marker, and onto the healing road. But healing takes time, and healing is painful.

~Chuck Wendig, author

We just want to feel better, don't we? We're so tired of being tired. So sick of feeling sick. So sad that all we can seem to feel is sadness. That's, of course, if we're feeling anything at all. I spent months (and months!) feeling...nothing much at all. Which, honestly, was a relief. It was a reprieve from feeling so so much. So much pain. So much confusion. So much grief. So much loss. Just. So. Much.

Healing often feels like a destination. "Aren't you over this yet?" he asks us and we resist the urge to either curl into a ball or punch him in the face. "This", of course, refers to the pain he's wrought. "This" is the destruction of the life we thought we had. The detonation of a bomb we never saw coming. "This" feels like the joke's on us. 

The truth, however, is that healing "is a good thing....but it's not a pure thing." It doesn't happen all at once. Abracadabra. You're healed. It doesn't happen in a therapist's office. Or the bedroom. Or the boardroom across from your lawyer and his. It happens while you're at the sink washing the dishes. It happens while you're tucking your kids into bed. It happens in your tears, it happens in your laughter, it happens even as you remain convinced it's not happening.

Wendig nails it when he reminds that healing is stitches, the resetting of bone, relearning how to walk.

We have been injured. Shattered. Healing is collecting those pieces and reassembling them. It can be a chance to curate your life. To examine each piece and make a conscious choice about whether to include it in this new life. Because it is a new life you're assembling. The old one is gone. And as much as we long to "be back to normal", we say, or to "just have things the way they were", the truth is that normal wasn't working out so great. The way things were was problematic. We just didn't yet know it. Not yet.

Healing can be an opportunity, if we take it. Will we keep this friend or let her go? Will we continue to show up for the boss who never supports us? Will we continue to prioritize everyone else over our own needs, our own health, our own joy? Or will be assemble a life with us at the center of it? A life that honors ourselves and models to those around us that they can build a life that honors themselves too. It won't be easy. It won't be a pure thing, a perfect thing. But, as Wendig says, we can pass trauma's last mile marker by doing the work. By looking that monster straight in the eye and saying, I'm not going to live my life running from you. I'm not going to let you keep me scared and small. Trauma has shaped who we are but we can learn to stand firm in the  knowledge that we are grown-ass adults. We have stocked our toolboxes so that we can restabilize whenever we're thrown off-balance by trauma. 

We are on the healing road. And we will need to be patient. "Healing takes time," we are reminded. "And healing is painful." But it will take us where we want to go.



11 comments:

  1. I have to remind myself that I can never go back to normal. Because 'normal'was all a facade. And at this point, almost a year removed from discovery, I still am unsure of exactly what was real and what wasn't leading up to it. I am left to wonder if I will ever know the truth and am I doomed to live with that. All I can do is keep working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With time, I think you'll find that you can reintegrate your memories. Whatever HE was feeling, YOUR feelings and actions were the truth. Your truth.

      Delete
    2. I know its early days for me. But I struggle to have any faith in the past when its tainted with betrayal. Sometimes I laugh when I remember memories during the time he was unfaithful. How naive I was. How trusting. How foolish. Sigh... will this nagging feeling ever go away?

      Delete
  2. How can you heal when you face same things over and ove... cheater will find new ways to cheat. Its like cancer. Some people will cheat with mind and eyes. Why do people do this....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown, It can certainly feel this way. And yes, it's true, some people will never change. But others will. They learn from their mistakes.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, I needed this at this very moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so spot on. I told my husband the only way to describe what I was going through is like a broken bone since I work as a nurse. The pain is intense, there's surgery or a cast placed to work on repairing and healing. Some breaks are simple but some are very complex and takes surgery and casts. Takes a lot time and rehab. As the bone heals, it strengthens but will never be the same - a little weaker from the break. Once the bone is healed, there may be pain from stress, weather or other triggers. As I explained I was the bone, I think he finally got it and that I need all the time to heal properly in order to make reconcilitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the analogy worked for him. It astounds me how few actually understand the pain that betrayal causes. It's a primal wound.

      Delete
  5. How long does the pain last? It's been 2 years since I found out what was going on. He has been wonderful and says he will stand by me through whatever I need to go through. But I still think about it on a daily basis, reliving the pain over and over again. I try to hide what I am feeling because it makes him sad and upset with himself for putting me through this. How long does it take to stop thinking about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      I wish I could give you an exact number of days,after which the pain would evaporate. Alas, it doesn't work that way. It takes as long as it takes. That said, I would urge you to consider ways in which it might be prolonged. Those of us traumatized by the betrayal often take longer to heal. The betrayal, in my case, retriggered a whole lot of childhood pain that I had to work through. I did EMDR, which is very effective at helping with post-trauma. When you say you're reliving the pain over and over, that sounds like post-trauma to me.
      Do YOU see progress? Or do you feel stuck? Are you in therapy? If so, does your therapist feel you're progressing? The pain doesn't disappear but it does lessen -- thing is we often don't notice it because it still hurts. Progress can be incremental and then, one day, we notice we're laughing again.
      I would also encourage you NOT to hide what you're feeling. Your job is to be honest not to protect him from the pain he caused. Bottling up your emotions won't help you heal. Quite the contrary. What's more, bottling up the negative emotions also keeps the positive emotions locked away too.
      Let yourself feel them. They're like waves. They'll crash and then recede. And slowly, they'll calm.

      Delete
  6. This resignates with me. I am a year out and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about what happened. I feel I do the same and don't bring it up because it makes him sad and about what he did and he tells me multiple times he hates himself for doing what he did. It is just a strange feeling to never feel at peace anymore. The struggle in my head is daily on whether I am doing the right thing by trying to work it out. I will say I am better then I was a year ago but I don't think there will ever be a time that you don't think about it. ugh....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails