Tuesday, August 31, 2021

What does your Betrayal Impact Statement say?


A friend of mine recently discovered that her husband was cheating. Again. It's our nightmare scenario, isn't it? That he learned nothing. That he changed nothing, except, perhaps, to become more adept at lying, more discreet. 

My friend's husband is a sex addict. And those of us who've dealt with addicts know that it can be a long road to recovery. That they are likely to "slip" as the recovery community refers to it, which hardly reflects just how excruciating it is. "Slip" sounds like a "whoops" when the truth is it's a banana-peel wipeout with massive head trauma. 

One of the things my friend is participating in, as she and her husband try and recover from this latest "slip" is impact statements. He, the offender, has to offer up a full accounting of everything he did, when/where/with whom. And after she has digested this (and perhaps cried an ocean of tears) she presents what's called an Impact Statement, not at all unlike what crime victims submit to courts in order to influence sentencing and have an acknowledgement of their pain.

It got me thinking that, whether or not we're dealing with an addict, we might all consider writing an Impact Statement. It would serve two purposes: 1) Make clear how deep and broad the pain of his betrayal and 2) Force us to acknowledge all the ways in which we've been affected. Far too often, I think, we fail on both accounts – to make him face what he's done, or face it ourselves.

It could be that it's too much. That was the case for me when my husband's sex addiction counsellor wanted him to do a "full disclosure" session. By then, I'd been grilling my husband for weeks and I knew what I wanted to know. I chose not to hear more. It stopped mattering to me whether he'd had sex with 12 people or 40, whether he'd done it in a car or a living room couch. He had betrayed my trust, my body, our vows. That was the case whether he'd one it one time or many. The details became immaterial. What mattered to me at that point was his own willingness to face what he'd done, his own willingness to prepare the disclosure because, whether I saw it or not, he had to see it. 

So if that's the case for you – if the idea of compiling a full impact statement is too much right now – then pay attention to that. You don't need to do anything that feels like it's harmful. But you might want to pick away at it. Writing down the impacts as they occur to you. "I can no longer go to my favorite restaurant because you went there with her." "I gained 30 pounds from stress eating." "I felt alienated from my closest friends because I couldn't bring myself to tell them." Those are the impacts we often minimize or overlook or that get lost. And the idea isn't to keep stoking that rage, it's to honor our experience. It's to help you understand that everything you're going through – the confusion, the memory fog, the hyper-vigilance, the instability – is because of something. It's not you overreacting. It's not you being dramatic. It's you absorbing a massive trauma. 

And then, when you're ready, read it to him. Insist that he sit down and listen. Perhaps better that he not respond immediately, if that response is to make excuses or defend himself or dismiss your pain. There is only one acceptable response: To acknowledge how deep your pain and to take full responsibility for it.

Because this is potentially fraught, because it often triggers the same shame/anger/immaturity that led to the cheating, it's wise to do this with a trained counsellor.

But it's an exercise worth doing if only to bear witness to our own experience. You matter. Your pain matters. It's real. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello All!! Thank-you for being here. What a great letter by Elle, thank-you SO much! My was-band and I have been separated two years now, almost to the day. He is a master spin-doctor. I will write my own Impact Statement but for me, just me, so I can help myself move through the trauma and reclaim going out in public without looking at all the females wondering how many he has slept with, flirted with etc etc. I avoid certain towns and cafes because those are his fav haunts and where he seduces females. So the letter will be for me, to help myself feel safe again in public. My was-band never had 'slips', it was in his nature all along to cheat, lie, steal, deceive, repeat....before his 1st wife, with his first wife, even before we were engaged (i'm wife#2, yep, I was just some appendage on his speeding trainwreck), even while we were engaged....15 years together destined to disaster....he is onto a new girl now....wife#3? who knows, who cares...well, I'm mentioning it so I recognize my hurt, especially when the female is half my age and a drunk....I am taking care of me and know that we can never have a real conversation, so I work on my own closure...was-band has an unchecked borderline personality disorder and is very good at convincing people how intelligent and insightful he is. He texted me the other day that his past is behind him now...yet he continues to repeat his patterns...so I work on healing my massive trauma and your letter helps me so very much!!! take care everyone, we are here for each other!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a timely post Elle. I have been struggling so much the past 2 weeks. Sept. 3rd marked 1 year since I found out about my husband's long-term affair. My husband and I have been physically separated for 1 year. This past summer was hard. Summer was always a really special and fun time for our family. Facing it as a separated family was really really tough but we made it through. Exhausting and then straight into the back-to-school frenzy pandemic-style. I thought I was prepared for my first D-Day but I really wasn’t. The emotions were very strong, powerful and raw. It felt like someone came along and clawed open all of my wounds again. But I tried to compartmentalize. I went out to dinner with 3 friends to celebrate my friend’s birthday. A close friend that I hadn’t seen all summer. Someone who knows my story and has been really supportive. It turns out that she was using the birthday dinner as an excuse to see a man she is having an emotional (at least) affair with. She is married, he has 2 failed marriages under his belt, so at least there is no wife being hurt. I know she is deep in limerance and not thinking clearly. But to be exposed to that, to be an unwitting part of the deception of her husband was horrible and very triggering.That happened on Friday. Sunday I had my first ever panic attack. My husband has been working very hard to change and be better. I have been seriously thinking we might be able to reconcile. I have been working very hard to heal and I thought I had made real progress. But now I find myself regressing so much. I am back to wondering what she had that I didn’t, wanting to know every detail. Asking and asking and asking for details and playing detective again. My husband is answering my questions patiently, kindly, owning everything and apologizing over and over again. I can’t stand being like this again. I don’t want to be me right now. I don’t want to be in my own skin. Being closer to deciding to reconcile with him is so frightening and hard. I can’t stand being like this and feeling like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear One....thank-you for sharing....I am so sorry of what you have discovered, endured....I am so sorry for all of us....I think the shock of betrayal, for myself anyway, is life changing. I have been shattered to my core and now suffer panic and anxiety attacks. Never before have I had these problems. D-
      day was two years ago. I still experience these dreadful feelings. My wasband and I have been separated for two years and barely speak. When we do, all he does is lie, lie, and lie some more. And it takes me days to recover from that. You are fortunate your husband gives you respect to kindly answer questions. Mine just does gas-lighting, or has tantrums...he used to threaten to kill himself...but I can relate to you saying that you don't want to be in your own skin. We just want to emerge and be free. My loss of innocence is shattering...I used to believe in love, real love, and this is why I married for the first time (late in life) only to realize 17 years with my now wasband was only an illusion. So I am traumatized. I think we all suffer trauma from our discovery. It is real. Akin to going through a war. There is trauma and suffering and it does not disappear. I have worked hard to shape a new life for myself, so new good things become bigger than my trauma. Hopefully one day the trauma will seem small compared to new positive things in my life. Self care is vital. I hope you are taking care of yourself? Mental/physical/spiritual is very important. No wonder you are afraid....reconciliation with your husband means you love him and will need to trust him again. But can you? Do you like him? Is he a friend you would seek out? Can you place your heart in his hands and believe him? I do not have these answers for you. But I ask myself these things and formulate my own answers. Knowing what I now know, would I seek out my wasband to share my life with? Definitely not. He continues to have affairs since we have been separated and is not interested in therapy. So I have my answer and am sad that he was not interested in fighting for me, for our marriage. It's a bitter pill to swallow, knowing I am not special to him. So I do not seek to be with him. So please take care...playing detective is normal. I did it for the past two years...I knew I was trying to prevent bad things from happening, even though they already had. But if it becomes obsessive this is probably not healthy? So be gentle with yourself and ask if you want a life of doubting. Healing takes time, there is no magic formula for when any of us feel better, or if/when we can trust again...just remember things can never be the same if you want to move forward with your marriage. This is not a negative nor positive statement. Can Kintsugi help at this point for your situation? :-) perhaps :-) just take care of you and your mental/psychological state and see what unfolds...be well...

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing. I just learned everything last Friday. Still in shock. For me, the #1 priority right now is to know everything, even the armful. He admitted there's more to tell but I have to give him the time to get help with a professional before. Right now, I feel like this pain will never ends. Like it will hurt for ever. It's hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there....so sorry to hear of what you have just discovered. The shock is rough, to say the very least. Indeed, you want to, and deserve to know everything. Full disclosure. To heck with him needing time to get to a professional before he tells you things? You do not have to give him time. He had plenty of time to have his affair(s) and deceive you, so why extend him the courtesy of his needs? My wasband wouldn't admit to anything...I found out the hard way and confronted him. He still did not want to admit to anything. I kicked him out the moment I found out. After D-Day I continued to find out about his many years of deception with many females but he would only lie about that or gaslight me. He was only interested in covering his tracks and not helping me through my trauma. He was no friend to me at that point. So please be careful. Either your partner can be honest and give you full disclosure, or not. I am so sorry you are going through this. It is brutal. The pain is real. The very cells of my body were screaming in pain when I found out. This went on for months. But that pain subsided a bit....in time I took baby steps with my healing...I would make myself a cup of tea and cook a good meal and congratulate myself on a job well done. This was a big deal since I couldn't eat much in the early days of discovery. The more baby steps and congratulating I did, the more I grew positively around my pain. I am two years now separated since D-Day, and am taking slightly bigger steps than baby steps and remind myself I have been in shock and disbelief for two years and that it is ok to move gently and slowly. All of us here know that feeling, the feeling that it might hurt forever...and maybe it will....but if we take positive steps for our own healing and growth, we can shape a new life larger than our pain. With full disclosure, and even without, find a very close friend or two to lean on, find spiritual counsel and lean on them...perhaps seek out a counselor for yourself...when I continued to discover, on my own, the activities of my wasband for the duration of our marriage I felt like I would go insane. My mind had a very hard time processing/understanding..it was pure hell...we can make it through....and we will be different...Life will be different...so please take care of yourself, this is the most important thing right now...YOU MATTER, YOU ARE ENOUGH, and yes you are loved by all of us that show up here....big hugs...

      Delete
  4. I can no longer think that my husband is a good person with only the best intentions. I used to think that he was just not sensitive to my needs, that we dont think the same way, that maybe he is not that smart. But now, I think that he is mean, conniving and self centered. Im still here though. But im not waiting for him to prove that he is a good person anymore. Cant think off the top of my head his good qualities. And frankly I dont care half as much. Ive lowered my expectations to the lowest point. See where it goes from here.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails