Monday, June 7, 2021

Your Silent Sudden Grief Alarm Clock


It's real, you know. The grief alarm clock. It doesn't go off with bells or dings or buzzes or the scream of  wake me up before you gogo. It's a silent alarm that makes itself known in tears. Or tantrums. Or a pervasive numbness. Or a fog that envelops everything. We wonder what's happening. Are we getting sick? Is it PMS? Menopause? Why, when we'd been feeling better, are we suddenly right back in that place we never wanted to be again?
Get out your calendar and you'll know why. Your anniversary is coming. Or your D-Day. Or the day you first noticed that strange number that appeared, repeatedly, on his phone bill. Maybe a change in the weather is nudging your subconscious. Yes, it felt like spring was coming on the day I found out. Or maybe his birthday reminds you, on some level you're barely cognizant of, that she was there, lurking in the background even if you didn't yet know it.
Whatever the anniversary, whether an official one or just a date seared into your brain that you may have thought was forgotten, your grief alarm clock is worth paying attention to.
Like all of our feelings, grief has something to teach us. Do your best to push back against the despair that comes with feeling as though we haven't healed, we aren't healing, because here we are crying again, or lost again, or numb again. You aren't backtracking, my old therapist used to tell me, you're recycling. Old feelings are coming back around so you can consider them again, in different light, with different resources. These feelings are coming up again because you have experienced loss. Loss of a dream. Loss of the marriage you thought you had. Loss of the belief that your marriage was different. That he was different. 
It changes us. At first, I was convinced that I was only changed for the worse. I was angry. So angry. And I felt hollow. As if my heart had been cut out, leaving me alive but unable to feel. 
Now, with the long view, I can see that, yes, betrayal changed me. But it wasn't all or even mostly bad. There are things that I learned that I'm grateful to know. It has made me less judgemental. It has expanded my ability to empathize. It has shifted my black/white world view – that people are good or bad – so that I can recognize so many shades of grey. 
I continue to have a grief alarm clock although the one associated with my husband's infidelity seems to have gone, finally, silent. Now, when the tears come or the numbness appears, it's almost always related to the death of my mom. And so when that grief alarm clock reminds me of  her loss, I invite it in. The grief reminds me of how much she filled my life, of how much she continues to fill it, even in her absence.
If your grief alarm clock shows up the form of tears or tantrums or numbness or any other form, invite it in. Give it the change to impart whatever lessons it may hold and then, trust, that it will find the door and show itself out. 

5 comments:

  1. My Mum died on 7th June 2014 so selfishly I feel you have written this just for me Elle.
    It's weird isn't it that grief, sadness, anger shows up at the most unexpected times. We'll be going along fine, things really are going well (2 years on) then out of the blue a trigger, memory, music, tears, whatever, changes my mood. Generally it's nothing to do with H either, just my brain reacting and sometimes the physical symptoms do make me wonder if I'm sick. Has anyone ever researched the physical impact of betrayal? The long term effects? I wonder?
    Your advice is so sound, you just have to go with it, talk if you can and accept (however much you hate it) that it will always be there in some form because everything's changed, but it doesn't have to consume you.
    Two years ago I would never have believed that I could write this but the pain does lessen in time in the same way grief for a loved one does, life goes on.
    Thank you for all your inspiring posts. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. There's something primal in the pain of losing a mother, particularly a good one.
      And yes, the pain of both betrayal and losing a loved one does lessen with time. We're able to remember the good without being flooded with the bad.
      Thank-you for sharing your thoughts. And I'm glad this post resonated.

      Delete
  2. It's wild this comes up the day before it has officially been a year since my infidelity D Day. Definitely frightened going into it is just prior I went on a trip and I have another trip scheduled the end of the month. I'm not sure how long it will be for me to be completely over this pain but it has slightly subsided. It's unfortunate that my career continues to put me in situations that trigger the bad stuff AND it occurred around my birthday so it's as if the wound will never have a chance to heal. Really hoping, no, looking forward to, a great shift tonight and a trip that will help me hit the reset button. With help of this blog and readings I am finding I am CURRENTLY a little optimistic. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled across this website last night and it was the like finding an incredible community of sisters - so many honest, insightful, incredibly funny, caring and struggling sisters who provided me great comfort because you have all been there, are there, are doing what you can to heal and recover and recreate/refind/rebuild yourselves. And in some cases your marriages too but always yourselves - which should be, must be the priority now.

    This is still all very new to me – just 1 month out from D-Day (and just posted my story under Share Your Story) and finding so many words in the post above resonated with me. I feel when I read some posts it is as if you all have read my mind. You write about triggers - I know now that is normal and common and part of the process, not me being overly sensitive or too easily reminded of things. You write about the images and movie that replays in your head and I am relieved to know I am not crazy or alone in my struggle to change that channel or banish those images I have created in my mind.

    And last night my journal entry was entitled "Feeling Hollow" and here you are using that very word in the post above. And the grief alarm clock that woke me up this morning after 4 or 5 hours of restless sleep. This just feels like sisterhood, and community, and understanding all wrapped up into one.

    So thank you all for your candor and strength and vulnerability and even, when needed most, humor - providing a place where we can be brutally honest about everything and reclaim the healing process on our own terms. I have so needed that these days.

    Now to soldier on through another Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am at work and I suddenly felt the tears fighting to come out. I still can't believe that the father of my son, the person I though I'd spend my life with cheated on me. I cry everyday. I am trying to stay strong and move forward but I don't know how to do that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails