Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Honoring an Anniversary After Infidelity

I am away from my desk so I'm republishing some of my most popular posts. This originally ran in August 2020

If trying to find a way when you don't even know you can get there isn't a small miracle; then I don't know what is.  ~Rachel Joyce, author

Today is my husband's and my anniversary. Twenty-four years ago we stood in front of family and friends and promised to be each other's one and only. We promised kindness and respect. To stick with each other through "good times and bad." 

There was a lot of bad.

I didn't know just how bad it was but it was bad

And when I discovered how bad it was, I reeled. I cried. I curled up in a ball on my bathroom floor many many nights and sobbed into my dog's neck. I could see nothing but the bad. I couldn't conceive of my marriage ever being anything but bad ever again.

And yet I stayed. I stayed because I was afraid to leave. Afraid to disrupt my young children's lives. Afraid of what my husband might do if I left. Besides, I was exhausted. I could barely get through a day let alone find the energy to kick him out, or leave myself. And so I waited. I waited until I felt strong enough to leave. I made my expectations clear – no cheating, no lying, full disclosure. If he stepped outside the line, even the slightest bit, I was gone. He knew that. He went to therapy. He attended 12-step meetings.

And I waited.

For strength. For a sign from the universe. For my kids to get older. For myself to get clearer.

It was never so much about if I'd leave but when, though I held out faint hope that my feelings for him might return. That I might love him again as I had that day twenty-four years ago. 

And here we are. 

It has not been easy. It has, in fact, been extremely hard. (I was going to write the "hardest thing I've ever done" but that would be untrue. Since that horrible time, I have had to commit my daughter to a psychiatric ward and that, my friends, is the hardest thing I've ever done. I have had to bury my mother, which was another very hard thing.)

But the thing with infidelity is that the pain eclipses every other thing. It blocks out the light. It leaves us squinting in the dark with no expectation of light ever again. This, we are certain, is our life. Not just for today but tomorrow. And forever.

That is a lie.

The pain is excruciating. I know. But it passes. Not today. Not even soon. But eventually. And though I wish I could tell you differently, the truth is that it takes a long time to pass. And that there are no shortcuts. I don't think it hurts less to leave. I don't think it hurts less to find someone else. I don't think it hurts less in a short marriage than a long one. It just hurts. And it hurts so so much.

And then, one day, I realized it hurt a little less. And then less still. And so on until I'm celebrating my 24th wedding anniversary and I realize it hasn't hurt at all for a long time. And that we are exactly where we want to be and with exactly who we want to be with. He has changed over the years and not just grayer hair and a wider waist. I have changed a lot too. WE know each other much more deeply than we did that day 24 years ago. I have seen him at his absolute worst. I have decided that he is more than that. We have been with each other to bury our mothers. We have been with each other to get our daughter the help she needed. We have grown together and through.

And here we are. Okay. More than okay. Beyond all expectations. Happy.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, I can relate to this 100%. It is a year for me this month that I found out about my husbands infidelity and I hope I will be able to say we are happy too like you guys. Take care D...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to hear this today. I have been with my husband for 25 years and they have mostly been good. His affair lasted for 4-6 years. I struggled with forgiveness because I never thought I would stay. I also didn't want to leave. I feel crazy for saying this but aside from the affair he is a good guy. He is a great father and has always supported me. That's why I couldn't believe he had an affair. There were clues that something wasn't right, his coldness for one but I just couldn't imagine he was being unfaithful because he was always at home. She settled for whatever scraps of time he was able to give her. I hate that we now have this chapter in our story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out a week ago tomorrow that my husband has been sleeping with a coworker, and as the moments where I’m not just in shock are slipping through I have wondered how we are going to get through this. I appreciate the quote you started this post with so much, and that this website even exists. We are seeking out a therapist and having lots of open discussions, but this experience feels terribly lonely. I cannot talk to any of my people about it, and most people who have firsthand experience with infidelity haven’t made that public knowledge. Thank you for giving me a place to start finding others who know what I am dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good couples therapist (not just a “marriage counselor “) is key. She saved us, because we couldn’t have gotten through this, and been able to stay married, without her. Both of you need to be committed to doing the work. Thankfully, my husband was, and that helped pull me through this. D-day was 17 months ago. It’s much better between us but still part of our forever life. We’ve been married 40 years.

      Delete
  4. I needed to read this. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, I am 8 months post D day and the grief is like waves. Some days I feel like I might drown and others are just a tickle on my toes. We have decided to try and make our almost 23 year marriage work. This gives me hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the pain you've been in but glad that it's abating. At 8 months, I was still drowning in it. Thinking of you as you navigate your way back. For me, anyway, it was worth it.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails