Friday, February 19, 2021

Excavating our deeper fear: How can I be sure I won't be hurt again?

 In our awareness, we can change.

~Elle's yoga instructor


I do not know if my yoga instructor has experienced infidelity but she knows grief, having lost two children to death from suicide. She speaks of her loss with pain in her voice. She is honest about her grief. But she is also upbeat. She is kind and has a compassion that radiates. And so, when she speaks, I listen. This is a woman who has much to teach because she has been willing to learn at the knee of grief.

The other day she told us that “in our awareness, we can change.” She was referring to a particularly challenging pose. But her instruction about yoga often morphs into instruction about life. Pausing. Being gentle with ourselves. Letting go of judgement. Breathing. Always, always it is about breath and the wisdom we find there when we let our minds release all of the chatter.

What struck me about her comment on awareness is that so often we get it backwards.

Consider a comment that was posted recently in which the betrayed asked if it was “normal” for her husband to not want to talk with her about what she shared in therapy. How was she to know if she was truly willing to change? she asked. How was she to know if was worth a second chance? Within her question, of course, was the deeper question: How can I be sure I won't be hurt again?

It’s a familiar worry. I, too, wanted to know that my husband was “fixing” himself because I imagined that fix would insulate me from future pain. I had a mental list of his flaws and I wanted them gone. I wanted him to address his fealty to his critical, occasionally cruel mother. I wanted him to address his anxiety about money. I wanted him to appreciate my role as mother to his children, to acquiesce to my ideas of how to raise them. And of course, I wanted some sort of proof that he would never ever betray me again.

How was I to know if he was fixing himself if he didn’t return home from therapy full of new insights and ann acknowledgement that I was right about things all along?

It’s amusing now. But at the time, I was very very serious.

His therapist made it clear that what they discussed was private. My therapist made it clear that what they discussed was private, just as what we discussed was private. Therapy is a safe, private place to explore our deepest beliefs and shames and desires.

I fumed but accepted it.

What happened was that, released from my insistence that he tell me what they discussed, my husband occasionally wanted to share what he was learning with me. 

What’s more, I was seeing change in him. He had an awareness that he hadn’t before. And, as my yoga teacher pointed out, in our awareness, we can change.

So often though, we demand the change quickly, in ourselves and in others. Whether it’s weight loss, or kicking an addiction, or working through a relationship problem, we want the change now. We are impatient for it. But without the awareness, change, even if it does happen, often won’t stick. And that’s because we have yet to pay attention to the why. Why do I reach for a glass of wine when I’m tired? Why do I endlessly scroll social media when I’m feeling bad about myself? Why do I overeat when I get off the phone with my mother?

And, of course, why did he cheat? What was he seeking? 

Within that why is the seeds of lasting change. Change rooted in a genuine desire to have different and, possibly, to be different.

Within our awareness, we can change.

So yes, it’s normal for your husband to not discuss his therapy with you. It is, frankly, healthy. Because he needs to reach awareness without you pointing to it.

It’s scary, I know. We want control when we’re scared. 
We want to choreograph his remorse, his recovery.

We can’t.

But we can reach for our own awareness. And within that, we can be the change.





5 comments:

  1. Hello, I came across this page just from googling desperately for some help. My husband has cheated on me so much and was using meth and alcohol. Life went from bad to worse last fall and he went to rehab in Nov. in and out... meds on top of meds, now he is out and he is such a different person. But I have not healed from all the cheating he has done in the past. I am afraid that if I bring up my triggers (he made a few female friends in rehab, and keeps in touch as support) just him having female friends i dont know about triggers me. And my insecurities, voicing them has triggered him in the past. I cannot stop stressing now that he is home since he still has access to his social medias, and his phone now.If I bring it up he says lets not dwell in the past. But how can I move forward if my pain is not acknowledge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw myself in this post. I see the work I am doing on me, I see the work we are doing on us however, I can't say that I have seen the work she is doing on her. And that scares me. Will this lead to me getting hurt, AGAIN ? Will it manifest in some other form ? I can't, or I won't go through what happened on the night/morning in June. I know I cannot parent her and she will do the work when she is ready, I just hope it won't be too late. She hated that I referred to D Day as THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE but, it seems there is no effort to help put that behind us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The battle of emptying the mind of the chatter and breathing into the awareness of myself. I can only change me and the the temptation to make sure all this pain and devastation is going to "be worth it", give me something better, give me someone better just keeps me stuck in trying to control him. I feel my thoughts go one way and I have to keep bringing them back to what is happening today, is he cheating today, is he trying today, is he respecting me today. A constant merry go round which is not merry at all. I am caught between the pain I want to leave behind and the "not yet" of where I want to be. I am 11 months post dday of my husbands 2.5yrs of sexual hook ups, online, in person, short and long term "arrangements". We are 21 years married with 3 kids. Starting again! I am sad I am here, I love am desperate to be the hero of my own story, to be a survivor not a victim but the merry go round of pain, doubt, and trauma keeps drawing me back in. I Breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lived with the trauma of betrayal for what seems to be a lifetime.I have been in therapy to try to work out my issues.It's strange how the moments I was betrayed has past but the damage seems to be permanent.Post traumatic stress disorder.I emotionally have flashbacks among a lot of other things.I feel drained and tired because it feels like I have been infected.Like the betrayal is a cancer that even though I have moved on to better things it still sits in my chest like a lead weight.I try to dissect it and pick it apart in a logical fashion.I try to forget and move on without obsessing over it.Keep my head up.It's so hard to do because what is left of these incidents are a side effect that doesn't just go away.It's like a part of me genetically now that is adversely affecting me.The tiredness but not being able to sleep.The chest pain and the feeling that something is or will go wrong despite how stable things are now.The hyper vigilance of always being on guard for signs or clues.The lack of belief in myself that I am enough.I can subdue those things for awhile but eventually it resurfaces like an attack and starts again.I am just so tired and drained from it sometimes.I want it to go away but it won't.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails