Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Guest Post: Lessons from Christmas: Getting Un-Stuck


by StillStanding1

I’ve been thinking a lot about expectations. With 2017 over (saints be praised), I find myself looking ahead with hope that things will be better, that I will feel better in 2018. Christmas was a bear. Nothing seemed to go quite right. After years of Currier & Ives-meets-Pottery Barn-level holiday execution at great expenditure of energy and money, I had kind of a shitty, half-assed, not at all Pinteresty holiday.
The tree was wonky and fell over three times before I got it sorted. I almost gave up and threw the whole damn thing out. Because of this, it wasn’t even decorated until a few days before the actual holiday. This felt bad. My daughter was low-grade angry and walking around with a chip on her shoulder, particularly where her younger brother was concerned. This also felt bad. I didn’t have the energy or desire to do the full holiday decorating to the house. My brother-in-law drank too much and my niece was a bully to her future sister-in-law at our family gathering. It was supremely uncomfortable. Money was tight and getting gifts for all the people I was somehow still responsible for (how does this happen?) was really stressful. I didn’t get to see people I wanted to, some parties didn’t happen, and I couldn’t go to a volunteer event I really wanted to. And work exploded. And… and… and… Everything just kind of sucked. And I wondered why nothing was like it used to be and why I was totally lacking in that warm fuzzy Christmas feeling. Why wasn’t I doing better?
I had promised myself that when Christmas Day came, I was just going to relax and enjoy the day however it played out, knowing that the kids were going to spend part of the day with their dad at his place. That I was going to be cooking on my own. That hordes of family weren’t going to descend on me with noise and silliness and togetherness. Knowing all that, I was going to take things as they were. And, as it turns out, I had a good day.
After Christmas dinner with just me and the kids, I sat back over a glass of wine and realized no one was going to clean up the food or do the dishes or invite me to go sit down because I had worked so hard to make everything so nice. I was sulking to myself about this. I wanted it to be different. I missed “the good old days.” And it hit me. Everything wrong about my holiday was about my expectations.
I was probably expecting too much of myself to think I’d be able to charge through the holidays with my historical energy and enthusiasm just a few weeks after my divorce was finalized while simultaneously covering some of the worst of the affair history ground. Even without those two enormous factors, this was my first year with a child in college. All the normal things we would do together leading up to the big holiday were pretty much out the window because we weren’t together.  Change can be hard sometimes. Despite thinking I was giving myself a pass and generally planning on letting myself off the hook, I was still hanging on to the idea that I had to slay at Christmas in order to prove (to who? My ex? Anyone watching? Myself?) that I was doing GREAT!
I was probably expecting too much of my daughter to think that this time of year would be any easier for her than for me. She knew her dad was cheating before I did. Why should she be okay or over it when I wasn’t? And this was new for her. The same issues around not being home to get ready for Christmas had piled stress on her and now she had somehow become responsible for buying gifts for each of her parents. Something that would have happened anyway, as she transitioned to adulthood but was additionally laden with her own perfectionist tendencies to make sure we each had a “good” Christmas, post-divorce. So not fair, goddamn it.
I was probably expecting too much of all the other people in my life who have their own shit going on, to keep things exactly as they have been or to know I could use a phone call or a hug or whatever, without me telling them.
I just wasn’t in the Christmas spirit. And why should I be? I’m nice to everyone all the goddamn time. Why do I have to be even more nice now? Why was I buying in to the pressure to spend, spend, spend? I was depressed but I felt like I shouldn’t be, just because it was Christmas. I’m not allowed to be depressed at Christmas. How was all that Chrsitmassy shit going to get done?  But wow, have I been depressed. And I was searching for the elusive feeling I used to have this time of year of doing something special, the glow of lights and magic (and there was magic. I truly miss this) and snow and stories and eggnog and wassail, and fires, and homemade shortbread, of being part of something bigger, a family, of being loved.
And there it was. I was not feeling loved. Probably because I had fallen off the self-care wagon a couple of miles back and hadn’t noticed until that moment.  And way down deep under that was my old saw. I was not being loved because I was not lovable. No one is ever going to love me. There’s always something more important or more worth choosing than me. I know it's bullshit. It still gets me when I’m not paying attention.
Every time I get stuck it comes back to that. And that stuckness is why I’m telling you my Christmas expectations story. Because I think those expectations for ourselves and for others – that we should be over it, that we should be feeling better, that we should be stronger, that we should still be able to do and think and be like we used to “before” it all went down – that they should be able to understand how we are feeling, that they should know we need help even if we don’t ask, that they should just know how to help even though they have the emotional range of a filing cabinet. I think the holidays, which are so laden with expectation, brings that conflict into relief. I find I struggle most when I resist reality as it is or when I wish for or expect people or situations to be different.  (Expectation: Christmas should be magical. Reality: I am too fucking tired to Christmas this year.)
When I look closely at my own expectations, hidden deep down is the old, old fear: I am not enough. If I make this crazy, amazing Christmas, then my family will have to see I’m lovable. They’ll have to love me. My husband can’t give me what I need emotionally because I probably don’t deserve it.  Sounds crazy when you state it out loud in a complete sentence, doesn’t it? If I prove myself in these ways, they will HAVE to love me. It's nutty, magical thinking. And I think it's in there because we first learned these things when we were little kids. If you grew up in any kind of dysfunctional family system (and if you are here, chances are you did) you learned that love was conditional upon you performing in some way or that it was unpredictable or that people you cared about didn’t ever care about you quite as much. Those stories (or agreements) stay with us. We play them out over and over until we see them for what they are.
Turns out Christmas sucking and getting stuck is a gift. It’s a chance to look at the stories I am telling myself and the magical thinking I am laying on myself about my worth and maybe getting somewhere different with it. I get mad about it. How am I back here? How am I still fighting this? When will I finally be over this? When will I finally believe I am enough for good and all? Well. This stuff, the trauma of infidelity, the hurts from our childhood that infidelity reminds us of, the expectations of the holidays and the ways we think we’ve failed are all pointing to the soft spots, the wounds we need to tend.
Christmas isn’t the same. That’s ok. I can make new traditions. I can still remember that I have people in my life who love me and value me, even when I don’t do that so well myself. My marriage, my life isn’t the same. That’s OK. I can make a new path for myself. I can still remember that I have people in my life who love me and value me. I’m not that same.  That’s OK. In fact, I think that’s a really good thing. That goes for you too. Things are not the same. If you are rebuilding, your marriage will not be the same. You are not the same. He’s not the same. I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that this is ok. That it is, in fact, a good thing. And don’t forget that there are people in your life who love you and value you, who see you, even when you can’t do that so well yourself.

31 comments:

  1. SS1, thank you for your post. It describes a foundation on which to lay down new boundaries, expectations and actions for the future. I've been moving toward a kinder, calmer and less chaotic Christmas for years and with the D-Day in 2015, things got kicked into high gear with regard to lowering expectations. Because we flew into town a week before Christmas and were leaving three days after Christmas I thought long and hard about how I wanted things to look. For the first time ever, really, my husband and I talked about the details of hosting our family and as far as I am concerned it turned out well. Instead of my usual craziness of making healthy foods/snack, etc., I bought "crap food" that the adult and young kids loved. I smiled as I bought cookies, fish crackers, prepared deli foods, flavored sparkling waters in small cans for small fingers to hold and stocked up on oranges, blueberries and cheeses both strong and mild. I opened boxes of crackers, laid out olives of all kinds and pickles and when it came time for feed the masses I took orders and sent one of the adults to pick up the food I paid for. I visited with my kids and friends, played with grand kids and gave the grand dog way too many biscuits too. I gave advanced and fair warning to all that I was only buying a finite amount of food because I had to leave at 4:30 AM on Dec. 28 so if you come over on the 27th do NOT expect to hang out, visit or be fed. Some of the family was shocked that I set those boundaries but as a few did come and go for last minute hellos and good byes, I packed, cleaned out the fridge, sipped some adult beverages and gathered things to take back to the desert. Hubby put up one small artificial tree and I put about two dozen ornaments on it, all plastic so the little ones could tough them and hold them. I left the house a mess and I plan to call my housekeep in March and ask her to go over and clean before I go back for my youngest grand daughter's birthday and my heart scan. Once I broke that old pattern, it felt so freeing. My "kids" are all adults and I treated them as such. I told them that I was tired, I was busy, I loved them but that I was planning to feed them Christmas Eve and Christmas breakfast but that after that it was crap food and snacks. It went great! I had realistic expectations and goals and it felt fantastic to know that I was able to fight off the guilt about Christmas gone by. I encouraged each of my adult kids to make their own traditions even if they felt like they disappointed their extended family. It is their life and I want them to live it. Happy New Year all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beach Girl, your Christmas and all the "crap food" sounds kinda awesome. I'm on board for next year. Merry Christmas General Tso's takeout! Plus blueberries and cheese!

      Delete
    2. So often, I've found that the pushback I anticipate never materializes. I create this narrative in my head about how everybody wants things a certain way and if I don't do it that way, they'll be upset or disappointed (I've lived a lifetime trying not to "disappoint" people) and then I realize that nobody cares that much. They want to be around me, not just my meals. They enjoy me, not just my desserts, or my decorations. And it feels really good, doesn't it? To do things because we want to do them not because we feel we have to in order to keep people loving us.

      Delete
  2. This was our third Christmas since dday. The first year it was 9 months after dday. It was brutal and at the peak of working through everything. Last Christmas was really good. This Christmas I would say was the hardest. I think for me it relates to that feeling of falling back into "normal" or how it was before dday. My husband assures me it would never happen again and he would talk to me first. And honestly those are not my biggest worries at this point. I worry more about should we even be together, how can we have the best marriage, am I happy or can I ever be happy with him. I am such a big picture thinker. Where he is like when I went and watched a game with my friends I don't talk to women and have zero interest in that type of behavior.

    Also this year I have to say I am proud of myself. I barely decorated, ordered lots of food out, slept in when I wanted to. I just decided I did not care and was only going to worry about myself. I told my kids if they wanted something a certain way then they needed to help or lead the way. Our tree sat for a couple of weeks with no lights. Since that had been deemed "my job". In the end I remind myself every day to focus on me and what I want and need. I try to take a step back. I am a very introverted person so this works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proud of you too Hopeful 30. It's good to rebel against long established roles and expectations sometimes!

      Delete
    2. Hopeful30,
      I recently read an article by Lenore Skenazy (spelling?) who writes FreeRange Kids. It was all about the best way to teach kids confidence and resilience was to allow them to do something they'd never done before -- walk home alone, purchase groceries, etc. That's what I thought of when you said that you told your kids to either lead or help. I think that's awesome, not only for you but for them.
      And I was at the same spot at about three years out that you are -- did I want to be there, was there enough change in him, should I just move on? It's like the crisis is over and we're left with with what we're left with. Sort of like the holidays once the glow has faded. We look at all the stuff we did/bought and think, really? This is it?
      Sit with the feeling. Examine it. Is it your marriage that's the problem? Are there other changes in your life that might be contributing to this? I know as my kids got older and needed me less, I felt somewhat bereft, a sort of "what now?" feeling. Do you journal? Might help you get to the root of this discontent.

      Delete
  3. My therapist said after infidelity it takes several years to enjoy Christmas again. I have not had Christmas in my house in four years. My therapist suggested just try one new thing a year. That is pretty much what I have done. Your right SS1 triggers abound. My H and I went to see the therapist a few weeks before Christmas. I have to admit it was a great family Christmas. He doesn't deserve it. None of it. He was ready to give it up for tuna town. He was the perfect Dad and H. He helped, paid attention to the kids, grand-kids and decorated the house by himself. He ask all the adult kids to tell a story about a Christmas they remembered. At the end he got choked up and held back the tears. He did all the Christmas things I begged him to do before. So it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LLP. Its helpful to know this. That there is a light at the end of the holiday tunnel. My therapist told me that the magic does come back eventually but that a lot of her post infidelity and post divorce clients report feeling like the magicy christmas feeling is lost. I'm hoping that at the very least there will be future grandchildren whom I can lavish my magic on in the future!

      Delete
    2. So much about healing is about patience, isn't it?
      LLP, your Christmas sounds really nice, especially the part where it seems very collaborative.
      And I'm curious about your sign off -- So it goes. Are you a Vonnegut fan??

      Delete
  4. SS1 - my husband dreams almost every night though the holidays was I was leaving him. He dreamed he was at a gas station and I just got in the car and took off. So my point is - you don't have that feed back from your EX so you do't get any satisfaction his Xmas wasn't that great either. I told my H - well I vote for a cruise next year at Xmas. He looked at me surprised, like he expected me to leave this year. That is his CONSTANT fear that I'm going to leave him. I could and I would if I needed to. He knows that and so do I. That is what scares him. That feels pretty damn good. Unfortunately too many choices were made for you but as you said above - you have new choices now. Ones that you make and that must feel pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel pretty good most of the time. It helps when I watch my ex having a meltdown from a distance and I don't have to fix it or bear the brunt anymore. I can just say "nope." And get back to the business of living my own life now.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for this post StillStanding1. I hope you can continue to have compassion for yourself and all you have been through. I've been doing so much work lately on core values that have arisen from childhood and on self-forgiveness. A powerful tool is to write out how we forgive ourselves for the things we tell ourselves about ourselves post affair or how we don't nurture ourselves. I've been doing a lot of meditations that emphasis all the areas where we don't respect and accept ourselves. Also I must very highly recommend a book by Meryn Callander: After his Affair, Women Rising from the Ashes of Infidelity. In Chp 7 she walks us through the ways we have betrayed ourselves - a gentle exploration of the ways we did not stand up for our needs or our boundaries with pertinent questions. With all the work I'm doing, I decided to listen to what I told myself post affair and still sometimes tell myself. I first listed those core beliefs from childhood that still resonate. Later, as you will see, I answered each of them back and hope to eventually fully accept those new statements.

    I am stupid
    You were trusting and optimistic and positive on the side of light and could not see the extent of the dark treacle of his maladjusted patterns and needs.
    The family life I’ve created is worth nothing
    The comfort is you provide to others is invisible sometimes but more powerful for that.
    What I contribute to the family is worthless (you thread through everything and are the fabric even if they don’t know)
    I am interchangeable with these other women he gets involved with
    Even if there are people behind the scenes it does not stop me on this new journey of self-respect, love and strength.
    I am helpless in the face of others’ entitlement and vilification.
    I will be me, everything I am strongly and truly with whoever I want to be
    I am not safe
    If you are hurt again, next time it will be filled with fire and purpose
    I am foolish
    You were open and accepting of another human the the good in him but his twisted pattern overcame even what he says he wants
    I am weak
    You are a tree in a storm. You are a rock in weather.
    I am sad and pathetic
    You are disappointed that others do not hold the same ideals of light, you have given yourself up to see the side of others. You can hold onto both with yourself as the strong core.
    I am afraid
    You must rest in yourself and in a place of tenderness, you are a tree in the wind.
    I am confused
    You have lost yourself in the weather, you must identify the roots of yourself, you must hold situations up to the light of your values.
    I will never know what I want to do.
    There is always something you want to do before you second guess yourself. You have been given clear warnings and signs.
    I will never fulfil my writing dream.
    You are very close, you are preparing your energy
    I mean nothing
    And everything
    I am boring
    You see the quiet and remarkable things.
    My life will be and is a disappointment
    There is already so much done if unseen. You have clarity and intelligence and are unlocking energy.

    Wishing you all the chance to find yourselves and your strength again this year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fragments,
      I absolutely LOVE your false statements followed by the true ones! I am saving them to a file for when I need recentering. Thank you for posting that. Just what I needed right when I needed it!

      Delete
    2. FOH thank you. This is brilliant. I'm going to have to work this into my meditations and when I run. I do a lot of self talk therapy when I run. I love turning the lies we tell ourselves on their heads to powerful truths. Thanks so much for this wisdom.

      Delete
    3. FOH,
      What a powerful exercise that is. So much of our experience is in how we frame things. And by reframing your narrative, you're giving yourself back so much power. I hope others will take your lead and try this out. I'm going to!

      Delete
    4. Fragments of Hope, this really speaks to me. I hope you DO pursue your writing dream.

      Delete
  6. What an excellent post with so many important reminders. Christmas felt a little off for me, but I thought about things ahead and was prepared for most of the feelings. I checked in with myself. I did ok. Not perfect, but mostly ok. It was New Year's eve that snuck up on me! I figured I was cleared to stop checking in with myself (caring about me), and just go full steam ahead with a "normal" plan for New Year's eve. With our "normal" friends (who don't know). Doing what "normal" people do (read: expect things like in romantic comedies to happen in real life with you as a central, perfectly dressed and carefree actor). Ummmmm, no. Husband fell asleep at the table at a restaurant trying to make it until midnight (spoiler alert: we didnt), the other couple had to leave early for a family illness, my teenage son needed us to bring him fast food because his pizza we ordered never got delivered, all leading to me ringing in the New Year in line at a fast food restaurant alone. Then the anger flooded me. I deserved better than this (true). Nothing good ever happens to me (false). No one ever wants to be with me as much as I want to be with them (false). No one will ever love me as much as I love them (false). I don't matter to people (false). It helps me to treat my thoughts in this state like a true/false test. It always starts with one or two true statements, but goes quickly to a long string of false ones. I didn't deserve to be in that drive through line at that time, but that didn't mean that no one loved me. My H actually volunteered to go with me, but my disappointment was already building, so I martyred myself. When I'm in that frame of mind, the true/false assigning gets hung up on 2 of my usual internal statements. "No one will ever love me as much as I love them": even if I'm not currently feeling love from anyone, my parents loved me for years before I had the capacity to love them back. Changed diapers... fed me... I have proof there. Then there's the "I don't matter": just because my H told me with his actions to have affairs that I didn't matter (sadly, that's how I see them) doesn't mean it's true. I have to run down my list of all the people I matter to and also recognize that I DID (and do) matter to my H. He was WRONG if he ever thought I didn't. When I got home I just said how sad I was that our evening fell apart. That it felt like he didn't want to be with me. That he didn't care as much as I did. We have lots of practice with this kind of conversation now (both of us have been on both sides of this conversation several times now). He said he felt disappointed too, wanted to be with me too, was so sorry I felt alone. Then lots of reassurance later, we actually slept fine and felt close.

    It all started the minute I let go of checking in with myself. I could have recognized my unrealistic expectations. I could have communicated my expectations better before I got to the "why me" phase. I could have given my son food options that didn't land me in a place I didn't want to be. I needed to have said, "you matter" to my very own, precious self from the beginning. But I didn't. What I do have are some skills built up to examine, get out of, and learn from these things that I didn't have before! Try the true/false test next time you hear the old, wounded voice when you're in "that place". It's always one true and a string of false. Remember that, and you'll get an A on every "test".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann this is so insightful,I started checking in with my self talk and have been doing this to myself too. It's helpful to frame it up the way you have.
      I need to check in with myself and stop getting caught up in the story of suffering and martyrdom my head likes to write. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
    2. Ann
      Can I kidnap you and hide you in my closet... I could like, run things by you and you can give me really awesome logical advice like this and so many other posts I've read of yours. Sound good???

      Clearly I loved loved loved every word I read here. So much helpful info with such a kind and understanding tone. Better advice then anything ive heard in the $2000+ I've spent on therapy so far (wanted me to leave him, tell all my friends, yup small town therapy at its best).

      PS I now hate your husband.
      PPS Annnnnd also I really wish I could annihilate my instantaneous anger that comes at me so quickly now. Blah. Vented.
      PPPS I love that your hubby is doing what he can for you... or did in this situation. I hope he continues this and that i can say the same for mine someday.
      PPPPS I'm back to my happy place again now.

      Blindsided.

      Delete
    3. Another brilliant strategy that can help so many of us! Gah -- I see so much of myself in what you were saying. And my favourite go-to is to "martyr" myself. To grumble under my breath while believing I'm somehow saving the day for everyone else. Thanks for the bucket of cold water. I needed it.

      Delete
    4. Gosh Ann, this says it all:
      "I deserved better than this (true). Nothing good ever happens to me (false)."
      I have written this out and taped it into my 2018 planner so I will see it daily all year. I want to have it memorized on my heart for when I feel myself going down the rabbit hole of loneliness, martyrdom, perfection, etc. Even beyond the adultery drama, I have such a history of sabotaging my health and happiness with OCD etc. I feel like this T/F exercise is the perspective my counselors have been encouraging, condensed into one simple statement. So wise. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. I agree! Neither of us are the same but that’s okay. Our Christmas was full of traditional and non traditional memories. I baked the worst of the chocolate cake that our grand parents baked but no one cared. They ate the cookies, and the food was delicious. We started a new tradition of playing dirty Santa with my mother having stolen a favorite team hat and we laughed and enjoyed the baby and the older grand babies loved playing with their uncle. Somehow we survived! It’s been totally okay! Sending you hugs Still Standing 1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back Theresa! Sounds like a lovely time.

      Delete
    2. Sounds really nice Theresa. Dare I say it sounds "normal"?

      Delete
    3. It’s just about as normal as our family can be given how far apart we live and only get these times once or twice a year! I cherish every moment!

      Delete
  8. Spot on! Yes, the old wounds are still there, magnified by our expectations for the season. Memories of holidays gone by. Thanks for reminding us all that, no matter what, we will survive and thrive. Happy 2018 to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs to you as well Carol, the First! Happy and joyous 2018!

      Delete
  9. SS1, I really like what you wrote.
    Change is hard sometimes. Letting go can even be harder. But you can take what you wrote and put it to use every day. I was stuck on obsessing about the OW. Would she try and contact my husband. Would she show up at our house 2000 miles away from where we used to live like she did when she found out we were moving. I used to worry about what she was saying and doing and kept looking at her on Social Media until I realized that it wasn't so much to see if she was better than me but to see her fall on her face and be as miserable as I felt for the last two years. Even though I knew the disgusting dirty things that she had done to try and get my husband to have feelings for her. It took me that long time to realize that she wasn't important anymore. That she was messed up, and her life was messed up big time compared to what was going on in mine. My husband and I have worked hard to make things even better between us. Now I look to change as a good thing. I still don't like it sometimes but I'm learning to let go of the people and things that don't matter anymore. It hasn't been easy and I still have a long way to go but, my mind and emotions are more at peace and that feels so good.
    CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with what you say. It was so hard at first. Now I truly believe and focus on what I can control and what is true and reality. I can lay out the expectations of my marriage and in the end that is up to both me and my husband to work through. What is interesting is our expectations continue elevate for both of us. We both agree my husband was the one with the issues and who got way off track but we both have worked so hard to increase our communication. So even now when things are not the easiest or there is a bump we are going to each other and talking. And I just got to a point where the ow already took too much from me and my life I was not going to give them the time of day. I cannot control them and if it was not them it would have been some other woman. In the end I hate what happened but we are both so glad for how close it has brought us. We talk often and there is a chance even if he never cheated that we would have had this level of a marriage. It is so hard some days to see the positive but I keep telling myself good things! That is my goal in 2018 to work as hard as possible on no negative self talk.

      Delete
    2. CM, I'm so glad you are feeling more at peace. The obsessing about the OW can be debilitating. To be honest, when I go on LinkedIn I have to fight the tiniest hint of the urge to look at her (her online social profile I could ever find and believe me I looked) but its the ghost of an urge. So I resist it. But like you say, it's about not letting people who aren't important have any more of my time.

      Delete
    3. CM, Sounds like you're really coming out the other side. Like you, I always tended to respond to change -- any change -- with fear. But also like you, I've come to realize it can be a good thing and often is.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails