Monday, September 24, 2018

Guest Post: Life After

by Laura S., founder of Infidelity Counseling Network

I did not stay in my marriage. I am still married.
How can that be true?
The answer lies in the term “stay.” A simple word but a deceptive one. After my husband’s affair, we decided to try to mend our relationship. Mending a relationship is a journey of healing (always), pain (unfortunately), honesty (ouch), hard work, vulnerability, more hard work, more honesty, and partnership. Staying in a relationship is something completely different. If you stayed in your marriage but still feel wounded, you know exactly what I mean.

You cannot mend your marriage all by yourself. It takes both partners, fully invested in recovering from the infidelity and the destruction that betrayal pours everywhere, like seeping poison. And if your partner is not remotely interested in mending, then you have a choice: you can end the relationship or you can “stay” in it, knowing that it is injured and cracked.

So what did we do? Oh, there are zillions of books and articles and websites that give the seemingly magic recipe but truly it’s an individual path like any type of personal growth. We went to couples’ therapy. We went to individual therapy. We attended a healing weekend retreat. We learned about communication. He explored the reasons for his betrayal. I explored my own self. He tried to figure out why he hurt me. We read “The Monogamy Myth” by Peggy Vaughan and “Mating in Captivity” by Esther Perel. He saw my pain, he shared my pain, he grieved over my pain. He worked through his issues and I threw things (okay, that didn’t help). I broke things (ditto). We yelled. We cried. We yelled again. We committed to brutal honesty. We lied. We told the truth.

And above all, we agreed that we did not want only to “stay”. We wanted a healed relationship or nothing at all. I wanted his integrity or nothing at all.

I do want to be careful here about seeming holier-than-thou. Some may interpret my story this way. But the infidelity conversation has to allow for good people making hurtful choices, just as it allows for bad people making hurtful choices. And why did we try to mend? Eight years later, I can barely remember. It was a complex reason having to do with love, kids, finances, shame (if we get divorced, what will our families think?), stubbornness, hope, and 23 years of history together (good times and awful times) that were not ready to be stored away.

Three months later, we could be tentative friends again. Seven months later, he moved back in. Two years later, we had recovered our marriage. Eight years later, my friends say, “I bet you guys never fight.” Are they kidding?  Of course we do. We are imperfect. Our marriage has ups and downs, just like everyone’s.

I don’t mean to imply that some paths are better than others. There are many valid reasons to stay, just as there are valid reasons to end it or mend it. I just want to be careful about the language we use. Recovery from betrayal is both powerful and exhausting, whether by yourself or with your partner, and in that shared pain we somehow, eventually, survive.

Infidelity Counseling Network offers peer mentoring (on a sliding scale) for anyone dealing with betrayal. 

6 comments:

  1. "Three months later, we could be tentative friends again. Seven months later, he moved back in. Two years later, we had recovered our marriage"- This is really a very encouraging message to me to think positive that anything can happen, miracle do happen. I hope one day my husband will moved back. We are in 3 months separation now but there is no sign of returned yet but i hope that this day will come soon....
    Reconciliation is never an easy task i believed...but you did it. Kudos....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura, for sharing your story. I love a happy ending whether that happy is working through the marriage and coming out the other side or like me having tried to work on the marriage And then realising that it was only really me doing the hard work and I finally took the decision to walk away and divorced him. I have no regrets for staying them 5 years and working on the marriage neither do I have any regrets for divorcing him, I’m in a better much happier place in my life for going through all of this.

    Lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. This frames things so well for me. I've said for some time now (when people from the outside comment on how great my marriage is) that, "this is not my first marriage." I tell them that it is impossible and a lie that anyone can have just one marriage in their lives. I get a funny look, then I explain that, in my case, I have had those multiple marriages with the same physical guy, but that's the only difference. I really believe this is true and a much healthier goal than the, "happily ever after" myth. When people from the outside wish for a marriage like mine, I want to warn them and I sort of feel like I'm living a lie or being deceptive to them. I can't share my whole truth with them, but I feel responsible for sharing some kind of truth with them to get them to understand that I struggle too. After all, there is pain, beginnings and endings (and possibly more beginnings) in every marriage. Now this post has me understanding how to respond internally to that, "how could you have possibly stayed with someone who did that to you?" question I sometimes still ask myself. The answer is simple! I didn't. I left that marriage and that guy and "upgraded" to THIS marriage and THIS guy. Good job, me! Also, good job to all of you no matter how you leave your marriages after discovering infidelity. Once and for all, gradually while you build something brand new, or somewhere in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have often told of my many marriages to the same man. Before children raising children and empty nest and post betrayal and now rebuilding with a mother in the mix... good analogy ann!

      Delete
  4. Ann I love how you phrase your new marriage, you left the old one and made a new one with the same man : ) makes. Complete sense..

    Sam A
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LAURA, what a beautiful post of your story. I agree, I didn't stay in my marriage. I did stay in a relationship. To me when he broke his promise that I would be for his eyes only, then I have no obligation to stay in the marriage. So I didn't but I did stay within the relationship. It was easier for me to survive with train of thought that eventually solidified in my mind. Because at any time, minute or day I can walk out and end it. I never really felt that way before. We are both very different people. We aren't the couple that was in that MARRIAGE. We are in a relationship now. It is better for me. I have made it clear to him that I don't feel married anymore but I feel love to him and want to stay in the relationship. there is big difference in do I need him or do I want him? Thank you for articulating it so well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails