Monday, December 2, 2019

Healing from His Affair: Myth-Buster Version

"Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."
I heard that recently, offered up by someone who feared that taking a teaching job implied that her career was stagnant, that she was past her "best before" date.
And it dawned on me that, despite the ubiquity of the saying, it's patently untrue. I've had the good fortune of fabulous teachers who are also highly successful in their careers, including one who is at the top of her game, with a bestselling novel and celebrated career at the New York Times.
But what's particularly dangerous about bromides like that is that, like many, they hold enough truth to make them seductive. They're impossible to dismiss entirely because we can point to one, maybe two, examples where they've held true. Or at least true-ish. Truth adjacent. Not a total lie.
And so they slither into our brains and lodge there, feeding on our insecurities.
You have only to log onto Twitter to find plenty more examples of these pithy sayings passed off as wisdom but which are myths – one part truth to nine parts bullshit.
But – gah – they're hard to shake loose once they set up residence in our psyches.
Far too often, they don't aid or accelerate our healing but actively get in the way of it. They undermine healthy thoughts, they sabotage efforts to move forward. Sometimes they do just enough damage to make us feel badly about our choices. Other times, they completely destroy progress, pulling us back down into the cesspool of self-loathing, fury and hopelessness.
So let's examine and challenge these simplistic sayings:

Myth: Once a cheater, always a cheater
Long-time readers know this one particularly gets under my skin. "Once a cheater..." gets pedalled by a particular tribe of heartbroken women. And yes, serial cheaters most definitely exist. But this tribe (sometimes more like a mob) insists that it's true for everyone. The rest of us are disregarded as fools, and remorseful transformed cheaters as "unicorns".
But "once a cheater, always a cheater" is a myth. We need look no further to many women on this site, including me, who have rebuilt marriages in which our formerly adulterous spouses have not cheated again. I have far more friends married to guys who transformed themselves into husbands who deserved their second chance than friends whose partners either continued to cheat on them or cheat on subsequent partners. It's not even close. Stats back me up.
So why is this one so hold to release? Well, in part because we didn't know our husbands were cheating in the first place. So the "once a cheater" slogan plants doubt. And doubt is our Kryptonite. "Once a cheater..." keeps us constantly doubting, constantly suspicious, constantly shame-filled for even considering giving a partner a second chance because who the hell is that stupid, right?
This one just won't die. Because those who've left feel armed with this "wisdom" that they've just saved themselves from further heartbreak because it was only a matter of time before their partner cheated again. Except most don't.
The worst part of this myth is that it's so cynical. It rejects, totally, the possibility that people can change, that they can learn from their mistakes, that they are forever after to be defined by the worst thing they did. That, having cheated, they are branded a cheater until their dying breath.
Let's reframe this one: "Once a cheater, sometimes still a cheater but more likely someone who learned a very painful lesson".  Not nearly as pithy but far more true.

Myth: "I have to divorce"/Only doormats stay in a marriage with a cheater
Who here thought that before they discovered their partner's affair? And maybe believes it still? Yeah, count me among the former. I was definitely in the "kick him to the curb" club. And then it happened to me and, like so many others, I realized that black-and-white thinking did not serve me well.
So...here I am. More than 12 years post-D-Day. Happily married. Healed. And with a nuanced understanding of why good people sometimes make really horrible choices. An understanding that taught me how to set clear boundaries to keep myself safe while allowing my husband the time and space he needed to understand how he could have let himself down so profoundly. I made the choice to stay with my husband if he was willing to seek help for himself and to recommit to a honest, transparent marriage.
I would not have stayed in a marriage if he continued to cheat, refused to seek help or otherwise expected me to continue with the status quo. I wanted a second marriage with my first husband. Or I was out. We got it, but only by working hard together.
But here's the thing: I'm talking about my marriage. You get to decide what happens with your marriage. None of us knows what it's really like inside another's marriage so none of us is qualified to tell you how to respond. We each get to walk our own path and that can also change with time. You can stay now and leave later. You can leave now and reconcile later. You can leave and not look back.  My heartbreak, my healing.

Myth: "If he loved me, he couldn't have cheated"
More black-and-white thinking. Another myth that persists.
I was as confused as anyone to finally understand that my husband loved me. All the time he cheated – years and with many others – he loved me. WTF?
Yep, it's confusing.
But no more confusing than finally understanding that my mother continued to drink and love me simultaneously.
Hurt people hurt people. Another adage but this one is the absolute truth. When we have unexamined wounds, we often hurt others. We often, also, hurt ourselves. That pain is going to show up.
In my husband's case, it showed up as sex addiction. In my mother's case, it showed up as alcohol/substance abuse.
Your husband, assuming he wants to rebuild your marriage, likely loves you very much. It's himself he hates.

Myth: Affairs are about sex
Affairs are about escape. They are about trying on different parts of our personality. They're about the reflection in the affair partner's eyes, a reflection that we're sexy, or interesting, or youthful, or exciting.
So, in some ways, yes, affairs are about sex but it's more accurate to say they're about what the sex represents. A chance to step outside day-to-day lives and be someone else. A different version. One who doesn't have a mortgage or children or a horrible boss or a dying father or...or...or...

Myth: He cheated because there's something wrong with me.
100% untrue. He cheated because there's something wrong with him. If he was unhappy, there are many many ways he could have shared that information with out that did not involve blowing up your lives.
Or as @Masharky put it on Twitter: "He wasn't looking for someone better than you, he was looking for someone worse than himself."

Myth: Emotional affairs aren't as bad as physical affairs
I've heard it so many times. It wasn't the sex so much as the lying. That's what hurts so much. Of course, knowing our partner was physically intimate with another person is devastating. And the mind movies can be killer.
But it's the gaslighting, the deception that can really mess us up. Cheating hurts, no matter what form it comes in.

Truth: I will never be the same
I hear this one all the time and it's usually said wistfully, or with deep deep sadness. And it's true. You will never be the same. The profound would of infidelity changes us. For a long time, I was convinced that it had broken me in some way that would never be fully healed.
What I didn't know then but what I can promise you now is this: You will never be the same and that's okay. Healing from infidelity helped me reshape myself into someone I liked far more than my old self. It helped me recognize how strong I was, how deserving I was of love and belonging, how worthy I was of taking up space in this world. Healing from infidelity helped me heal a lot of old trauma. Healing from infidelity brought this blog into the world and all the incredible women I've met here. Healing from infidelity changed me. And I wouldn't change that for anything.




9 comments:

  1. On my God...no truer words have ever been written.I saw my story/truth in each myth.We are 4 years out.I read this website all the time and it never fails that you post the most awesome information just when I need it most.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elle for this myth buster. Almost 3 years after D-Day, I feel different, it still hurts but the pain seems duller. I think my partner has change for the best but how can I trust again? Does it come back or will I always be looking for suspicious actions? I was totally trustful with my partner, was I wrong? Now, I'm sometimes looking through her emails. I don't want to live another D-Day, finding out 2 years later was a real trauma for me. How do I know if she's being faithful, my only guess is that I never will...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazaard, I'm curious what sort of work your partner has done in those three years. Has she taken steps to get to the root of why she cheated? Do you feel she's had any sort of reckoning regarding her behaviour? I think when we continue to feel distrustful, it's about either our partner's minimizing of their actions or our own trauma around it. Either way, it deserves your attention. Perhaps there are things she can be doing to better show her commitment to your relationship. And perhaps there are things you can be doing to deal with the residual trauma of betrayal. You can never really "know" if someone isn't cheating but we can certainly come to a point where our relationship feels open and transparent and honest enough that we feel emotionally safe in it.

      Delete
  3. All this myths give me hope but also doubts.For me would be 17 months of d-day soon and I can barely describe how I really feel because it's a damn rollercoaster you cat get off .Some times I think I took the right choice,sometimes I'm not so sure.I wander if I had decided different how would I be by now,but that's not possible.You can't walk two paths at the same time and once in one you would never know.I just want this movies and thoughts in my head to go away and be able to heal and forget. I have not forgive him,but I stayed with him because I love him,would love be enough to keep this going? I don't know yet. Is he committed to change?I think so but doubts will be always there.Do I want too much now ot these new relationship,are my expectations too high? I'm planning to go to therapy soon but it scares me that might discover that I will be better by myself,that I would heal faster if I am away from him.Is it normal to feel this way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lili,
      Therapy can feel scary. But I just don't think there's another way to deal with this that's healthy and that will move you forward. A good therapist won't tell you what you should do. They will, however, help you make decisions that are consistent with your own values and goals and desires. Loving each other is crucial, of course. But it's not enough when there's been such a deep wound as infidelity. You two need to learn to communicate, the be completely transparent, to learn to feel safe again in the marriage. You can do this, Lili. It's scary, yes. But you are braver than you know.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for this post. My D-day was April 29 of this year. And it’s been such a roller coaster since. My husband is truly committed to making it better. He has done everything right. But I am finding it hard to not still ask questions. Things I feel I need to know. I have this nagging feeling that I don’t know everything. Even though he tells me I do. I believed him for so long, but he was not honest. So it’s hard to believe anything now. This has been the hardest thing I have ever been through and the pain in just unbearable at times. But we are really trying to work on our marriage. We have a 9 year old son that is amazing and worth the work we need to put into our marriage. Counseling is helping. But I have very bad days. I’m looking forward to when those bad days are less and less! But for now, I am gaining peace and insight in your wonderful blogs. They make me feel like I am not alone and not crazy. Much love to you and everyone in this difficult situation❤️ I have told a few friends and most are positive and supportive. But I have one that is really ruining it for me. She basically told me all of the myths in this blog. She believes all of them and is very vocal with her opinions. I wish I never told her. It was a big mistake. But lesson learned. Talk to people who understand and that’s why I am here! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Yes, the bad days will begin to be fewer. And you may never feel as though you know "everything" and that's okay. You know that he was unfaithful. And you know that, today, he's committed to rebuilding a marriage with you. Those questions nag a lot of us and there are ways to manage them. Try writing them down and putting the page in a drawer. If you still want to ask them 24 hours, a week, a month later, then do it. But you might find that what you NEEDED to know wasn't actually so important to know. Sometimes it's details that do nothing but hurt us more.
      As for your friend, have you told her that you're reading about infidelity and seeking guidance from experts and those who've experienced it and that, while you understand she's well-intentioned, that you'd appreciate it if she didn't vocalize her own opinions. This is hard enough without someone making it harder and the misunderstandings and myths around infidelity are HUGE. Most people haven't a clue until they're forced to learn about it.
      Hang in there, Anonymous. I'm glad you found us and that the site has been helping you.

      Delete
  5. In my case, The affair happened 14 yrs ago, but I found out 4 yrs ago. We have been married for 27 yrs, wonderful years. He has done absolutely everything in his power to amend his mistake but i still have trouble forgetting what happen. I think about it often and still hurts like crazy. He has answered all my questions but i still have so many other questions that I know I shouldn’t ask. Never meet her, I have no idea how she looks like and that bothers me so much, the fact that he had somebody else in his life kills me. I know he loves very much and now I’m the one with the problem but I can stop hurting myself going over and over the different things that happened back then and I thinking of stupid questions like: why her? Where did they eat? where he took her? I know they travel and I have no idea where. Is so bad that I can’t stand to go drive by the city I know she lived. Anybody feeling like me? Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaM,
      Anybody feeling like you? I suspect all of us have, at one point or another.
      And it's perfectly normal, especially when it's clearly been a part of your history that you knew nothing about. We try to piece together things in order to make some sort of sense about our own lives. "When I was visiting my mother, was he with her in XXX?" Or "when I was away on business, were they eating at XXX?"
      So...some portion of what you're doing is normal. However, four years later, I think it's time to let a lot of this go because it's holding you back. And it's likely unproductive -- doesn't change a thing. I talk a lot on this site about the trauma of infidelity. And I'm wondering if some of what you're experiencing is post-trauma symptoms. A sort of hyper-vigilance, a kinda obsession with piecing it together. Are you in therapy? If not, it might help you clear this hurdle. It worked for me.
      I was insane with my questions -- but can honestly say, so many years later, that I barely remember most of the answers. Ultimately, it didn't matter where they ate, or what they talked about, or what she wore. What mattered was rebuilding our marriage together.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails