Monday, April 6, 2020

Slipping out of the cage of judgement

Judgement is just another cage we live in so we don't have to feel, know, and imagine. Judgement is self-abandonment. You are not here to waste your time deciding whether my life is true and beautiful enough for you. You are here to decide if you life, relationships, and world are true and beautiful enough for you. And if they are not and you dare to admit they are not, you must decide if you have the guts, the right – perhaps even the duty – to burn to the ground that which is not true and beautiful enough and get started building what is.
~Glennon Doyle, Untamed

Where do I begin? Ever since I began reading Untamed last week, I've been desperate for people to talk about it with. I've shared with my husband, my girls, my boy, my six-feet-apart running partner. And I will undoubtedly be sharing with you because it seems that on every single page there is something that wakes me up, that nudges my heart, that whispers in my ear, or, sometimes, makes me uncomfortable.
Doyle and I have something in common. Like me, she discovered well into her marriage and three kids later, that her husband had been unfaithful. He was a sex addict. Her book, Love Warrior, which I did not love (only later, after she announced that she left her first marriage and married a woman, could I see that the book's second half felt inauthentic to me because it was), details her discovery, her healing, her lessons.
But Doyle is a teacher and I, a good student. She points to the things that I have learned far too well to pretend isn't there.
Take her thoughts about judgement (quote above), which I know so many of us struggle with here (and, if you're like me, continue to struggle with). 
What I wish for all of us is to learn the lesson that Doyle has learned (and continues to – she's honest about her work-in-progress status, though aren't we all works-in-progress?). That other people's judgement of us says more about their fears than about us. And, perhaps more importantly, that our judgement of others is really a chance to reflect back on ourselves. 
On its surface, it seems self-explanatory. But I sat with this thought. I took stock of the ways in which I continue to want other people to like me, to admire me (her daughter's admission that a classmate doesn't like prompts Doyle to respond, "that's a fact, not a problem", which I aim to make my new mantra). And within that desire to be liked and admired is still me outsourcing my value.
I don't want that for myself any more and I don't want it for you either. Betrayal lays it all bare, doesn't it? Our knee-jerk reaction is often what's most revealing. Not just the shock and sadness and anger but the belief beneath that: I'm not enough. 
That belief underscored everything I did. Maybe not consciously but it was always there. I was the dutiful wife, the heavily-invested mother, the volunteer, the writer, the exerciser, the pet-owner, the responsible daughter, the always-there friend. God forbid I let anyone down because that would openly reveal what I secretly believed about myself. I was not enough. My husband had cheated because there was something wrong with me. I was selfish, self-absorbed, vain. 
I still struggle. Those messages, delivered to me via our culture and straight into my ear from my alcoholic mother's mouth, my alcoholic grandmother's mouth, were more true to me than any of the conflicting messages I got. But Doyle urges us to go deeper, to what she calls our "Knowing". My Knowing was so buried beneath these messages that I could barely hear my own deep voice.
And though I'm loathe to acknowledge that any good can come of infidelity, it did crack me open enough that I began to listen for that deep voice of my own. I peeled away others' judgement of me (or did my best to render it irrelevant) and listened.
I am, of course, a work-in-progress. I still struggle with those words. Selfish. Self-centred. Those were my mother's weapons of choice. Used against me any time I wanted something that she didn't think I deserved. Any time I sought for myself...something.
But she was only parroting what our culture tells women in particular. As Doyle points out, "selfless" is the highest compliment we can give a woman. An erasing of the self. A vanishing. To make ourselves so small and insignificant that our very self is sacrificed.
Well, screw that, I say. My grown-up self works hard to push back on that. It isn't others' judgement that hurts so much, it's what we internalize. Or, as my former therapist used to tell me, it isn't what others say to us but what we say to ourselves that hurts. If we didn't somehow believe what others were saying, it wouldn't hurt. 
Behind judgement – our own and others – is fearThat we're doing this wrong. That we're wrong. 
Let's break the bars of that particular cage, or at least stretch them wide enough that we can slip between them. Let's pay attention to when we're judging others and ourselves. Let's remember that behind that judgement is fear, that it is getting in the way of feeling, of knowing, of imagining. And then, let's do our best to squeeze out of that cage and into something better. 

12 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hate this book. Okay, I love it. But I hate it because it is telling me to listen to my knowing and for the past 4 months, my knowing is telling me to cut the cord to my marriage. I learned so many of the lessons she shares after the trauma of my husbands infidelity. I am so grateful for them. I am a better daughter, sister, and mother. And I am a better me. Even though I still feel very stuck in so many parts of my life. And I realize that not letting go of this marriage is keeping me stuck. We were supposed to begin working with new, partner-sensitive, trauma-aware counseling team as a last ditch effort to get closure, but now we can't because of COVID. But I realize that I don't think he will change enough for me. It would require so much work on his part and I know that i cannot settle for less. So I am trying to come to grips with why I can't let go. Part of it is that I have told myself that no one else will love me, see me, find me attractive, and respect me. I will have to battle misogyny, ageism, and racism if I ever want to have love again. My mother's voice is in my head saying I don't have it as bad as my two older sisters whose partners are overtly abusive whereas my partner is outwardly charming and friendly but covertly passive aggressive and manipulative. And when we got together, when I was 21, I believed that he finally gave me value. I think I still believe that. I also love him and he is my best friend, even if he is impossible to share a home and life with. Even though he cheated and lied and still acts like the victim... I fantasize that I can have a set up like Glennon Doyle. But I don't think my partner has the maturity to do that. So I am going to start doing some good imagining just like when my therapist told me to imagine the separation. I am glad we separated even though 3 years ago it seemed impossible. Now I have to imagine the divorce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MBS,
      Every thing you fear is something that most of us fear. And every single one of them is a lie. (Not that racism, misogyny, sexism, etc. don't exist -- of course they do. But that those things will get in the way of someone loving you is a lie. You wouldn't want someone who subscribes to any of that.)
      And here's what I see from my end, MBS: You have done everything you possibly can to get this man to step up. It's almost worse when they do something rather than nothing because it gives us hope. But, for you, it's not enough. This marriage is not enough for you. And he can be a good guy and still not be enough for you. Your life can be pretty good compared to your sisters and still not be enough for you. That's you honoring who you are and what you need.
      Just last night I read the part where she said that some people forgive and move forward in their relationship. And some people leave their relationship, and that's how they can forgive.
      What I know of you from this site is someone who desperately wishes things were different. Who has turned herself inside out to make this work. But there's two of you in this marriage and you can't do it alone.
      Yeah, I found the book uncomfortable in spots too. But those are the spots that point to something in my own life that needs my attention. Ugh is right. But it's also the chance to create a life that feels so much more true for each of us.
      Here's what else I know of you, MBS. You are so much more than the stories you've told yourself about who/what you are. You are smart and insightful and interesting. You, my dear, are a total prize.

      Delete
    2. Elle, I am so moved by this response. You clearly know me and my story as well as anyone and I am blown away. I think I need to start to hear, say, and read this truth out loud. It is in my head but if it stays there I can't really grapple with it. Seeing it here makes all the difference. Thank you is all I can say.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome. Every word I wrote is the truth. It's time for you to live YOUR truth. You cannot wish him into the man he could be. And lord knows, you've tried. ;) A whole lot of us have. My hope for you is that you will never abandon yourself for anyone else ever again.

      Delete
  2. I relate to a lot of what you posted MBS. I have a lot of hopes and unmet needs right now as I have worked so hard to keep a peaceful house to allow healing for my children. Our youngest will leave for college in the fall. It has been 4 years since D Day. I would have never imagined I could live like this for four years but it was always my goal for my children. And there have been some good times during that four years. Maybe I'm getting more anxious now because I know the deadline is coming that I need to make some decisions. I keep hoping my husband will rise up and we will make it through this. Today I tried to share my heart feelings with him. He still gets defensive and angry. Partly because he how to doesn't know fix what is broke. He left the room saying it's all about me. I am a nurse and I have never considered myself a selfish. I feel like I give a lot but person. Maybe part of my fear is that I do not see myself accurately. This makes me feel crazy. I think in my husband's head he sees himself at least partly, a victim. This is so painful and a stuck place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, yes, you describe something very familiar. I would say that the words in Untamed are the only thing that makes sense to me in this place. If you need guidance, read the book or listen to the audio book or the many interviews Glennon Doyle has given. Something might jiggle you loose a little bit. I think she was the one from whom I heard the phrase "Be fiercely on your own side." That has transformed how I live. I am still working on untangling some things, especially my marriage (I was in 52 hours of labor with my first kid before agreeing to the c-section so I take a reaaallly long time to cut the cord, literally). But that mantra has stayed with me and guides me out of stuck places with family, very often.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous,
      Yes, be fiercely on your own side. Women are groomed from infancy to think of others, to put others before ourselves. It is "selfish" to look out for our own interests. What the hell kinda craziness is that? Is that what we would tell our daughters? "Make sure to always prioritize others' comfort over your own, dear." Of course not. And yet, we've swallowed it all.
      It is not "selfish" to want a deeper, more meaningful, honest relationship. That is human. If it makes him uncomfortable, too fucking bad. It's time for you to prioritize YOUR comfort. To ask for what you want and not back down when he pushes back. Calling you "selfish" is a countermove. It's meant to get you to back down and it works, doesn't it. It makes you question yourself ("am I selfish?"), it makes you feel crazy. That's your first clue that you are being asked to believe something that's false to you. When we feel crazy, it's because we're being asked to disregard what we know to be true, what we can see with our own eyes.
      Here's the thing, Anonymous: He cheated on you and betrayed your trust. You are giving him the chance to show that he can be better than that. If he chooses not to take that opportunity, that's his choice. But you do not have to accept that. Not now. Not tomorrow. Not ever. You might want to read my Letter to Husbands: https://betrayedwivesclub.blogspot.com/2014/04/my-letter-to-husbands-just-talk-about.html
      In any case, Anonymous, what MBS wrote is the truth. You deserve better than this.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the reminder that this book actually came out!! (i've been a bit distracted-go figure) and I was left SO COLD from the final chapters of her last book--boy did they fall flat and of course we learned shortly afterwards WHY they did. i LOVE/HATE this book for the same reasons. I easily fall into old patterns of martyrdom (because I am "so strong" UGH)and after a few chapters I was pissed off enough to speak up and for the first time in AGES, I got an apology for something from the H. I say that I am a very "live and let live" type, but the reality is I let HIS life on HIS terms, and not ours just FESTER. Things are not bad around here, things are pretty good-it's just that his MO is that somehow he is just different, he is just special, his life is like no other. He does not say this of course, but somehow it's ingrained and it's built on all the BS he grew up with in which he was reminded of how un-special he was. he continues to rebel quietly (withdrawing) and looking for someone to rebel against. he's a good guy, he's not an a-hole, but he's just exhausting sometimes. Books like this remind me to speak up and if I "let him down" by doing it, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Steam. I stand up to my H and call out his MO now. He used to whine when I did that and accuse me of not sticking to "my side of the street." But recently, after I lambasted him for being like his narcissist father, which usually triggers huge backlash from him, he actually called me a few days later to acknowledge he was acting like an ass.Its only taken 18 years of my saying this over and over again. The glacial pace of the change is not worth me sticking things out any more, though.

      Delete
    2. Wow. I have spent so much of my life being a "good sport" and "easy-going" and just going along to get along and then exploding when I feel as though my needs NEVER matter. This book did exactly that -- reminded me that denying myself is betraying myself and that my job isn't to be everything to everyone to be loyal to myself.

      Delete
  4. I'm finally catching up on the blog after months away. And these comments made me want to immediately remind everyone of the brilliant "Cool Girl" monologue from "Gone Girl":

    Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.

    Men actually think this girl exists.

    Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. For a long time Cool Girl offended me. I used to see men – friends, coworkers, strangers – giddy over these awful pretender women, and I’d want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward men who’d like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I’d want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bitch doesn’t really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They’re not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they’re pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be.

    Oh, and if you’re not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn’t want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version – maybe he’s a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he’s a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fucking thing he likes and doesn’t ever complain.

    (How do you know you’re not Cool Girl? Because he says things like: “I like strong women.” If he says that to you, he will at some point fuck someone else. Because “I like strong women” is code for “I hate strong women.”)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chinook!! Glad to see you back. And wow. That pretty much says it all, doesn't it? I tried SO hard to be the cool girl. I didn't get jealous. I didn't spend time pursuing things that I liked unless "he" (the "he"s changed over my 20s) approved of them too. I was so busy trying to fit into someone else's clothes that I completely lost myself. I remain grateful that being broken open by betrayal allowed me a reset. It woke me up. And made me realize the ways in which I'd betrayed myself, which felt even more painful.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails