Monday, May 11, 2020

Anatomy of an Apology

An apology is not a bargaining tool for which I get something back, including forgiveness.
~Harriet Lerner, author of "Why Won't You Apologize", speaking with Brené Brown

There are many ways to say you're sorry for cheating on your wife. You might have even heard some of them.
I'm sorry but I thought you didn't love me anymore.
I'm sorry but you invaded my privacy, which is unacceptable.
How many times do I have to say 'I'm sorry'?
I apologize but you need to apologize too because we were fighting all the time.
I shouldn't have done that but you cheated on me four years ago.
These apologies likely didn't make us feel better. And that's because, as Harriet Lerner would say, they aren't very good apologies.
A good apology after betrayal is as rare as a diamond in the mud. 
Even the truly sincere ones often come with strings attached. Yes, they're truly sorry for cheating but, honestly, when are you going to let this go? Yes, they recognize that what they did was wrong but you're not making this any easier by crying all the time and making them feel awful.
Which is why I was so struck, listening to Dr. Lerner on Brené Brown's incredible new podcast (seriously! Listen!!), when she noted that a good apology asks for nothing in return, not even forgiveness.
A sincere apology, she says, is about soothing the other person. The offender's feelings don't matter in the context of an apology. This isn't about them at all. It's about us. It's about the injury inflicted by them to us. We are under zero obligation to accept their apology, not right away, not ever. We are under zero obligation to make them feel better about apologizing. An apology should never come with the demand to be forgiven.
And yet...isn't that what most offenders are after? Forgiveness? Absolution?
I get it. Your spouse having to live with the acknowledgement that they have grievously harmed another person, particularly another person who loved and trusted them, is horrifically uncomfortable (unless they're a sociopath, in which case, run, don't walk, to your divorce attorney). I imagine that must feel terrible. Too bad. That's the price they pay for terrible behaviour. It sucks. We get it.
But it was a choice they made. And, if they're sincere about making amends, an apology is the perfect place to start. 
A sincere apology. 
An apology in which there isn't a "but" to be found.
An apology that doesn't expect anything.
An apology with just one purpose: To soothe the injured party.
Too often, apologies are framed as weakness. But can you imagine something that takes greater strength than facing down your own abhorrent actions and apologizing for them? (Okay, perhaps healing from infidelity takes greater strength, but you get my point...)
Unfortunately, few of have seen sincere apologies in action. Our parents might have seen apologizing as undermining their own authority. Our siblings might have seen apologies as a something one offers under duress ("Apologize to your sister!"). And spouses (and, gulp, we) might have seen an apology as a "get out of jail free" card. We apologized already. For goodness' sake, let it go.
None of which gets us where we want to go. Which is to healing. Which is to responsibility for hurtful behaviour and sincere desire to sooth the injured party.
After listening to Lerner, I tried out her advice. My eldest daughter and I have been struggling lately. She tells me how she's feeling and I immediately begin telling her how to mitigate those feelings. She feels blamed for her feelings, I get frustrated that she doesn't take my advice.
I told her that I was sorry. I named the hurtful behaviour ("for not just listening when you talk to me"), I told her I would work on it and aim to do better next time. And I meant it.
Not a perfect apology. But a darn good one.

8 comments:

  1. I’ve been looking online religiously for some kind of sound advice..... something to help make sense of this. ALL of this..

    We’ve been together nearly 4 years....moved in together 2 1/2 years ago.
    2 days ago some woman messaged me on social media informing me that the love of my life had been cheating on me with her friend for over a year. I was completely blindsided, didn’t see it coming at all.
    He admitted it, and since then I’ve been in a whirlwind of emotions. At first He was very apprehensive to answer anything I asked “why because you’re just going to leave me” then he sat down and answered every question I asked.
    He has apologized immensely, and shown he is remorseful. And has begged and pleaded me to not leave him. He has said he knows he f***ed up, and wishes he never did this to me. So why did he?! He has finally said that he was working too much, trying to provide a life for me, a perfect life so I was happy here with him and would never leave him (he says now he knows he has been so fearful of me leaving him to be closer to my family). While trying to do too much he said he began to resent me, because he never felt like he was enough or doing enough.
    I know I am not to blame what so ever. I don’t blame myself for his actions. I blame him.
    He doesn’t blame me, he says he takes 100% accountability for doing this. He says he wants to fix this, he said he never planned on leaving me, that the other woman knew he was never wanting to leave me. He said he made it apparent to her that he was never wanting to leave me. Which makes no sense at all to me.... none of it does.
    So when I confronted him, He immediately told her they were done and he was never speaking to her again, he blocked her number from his phone and instantly shared his location with me at all times. He says he loves me and doesn’t want to lose me. He said he knows he should have communicated with me. He said he has no right asking me but is still asking for me to give him a chance to fix this, and rebuild, then said he’s going to see a therapist next week, and eventually wants me to go too.
    I’m just really confused, hurt and angry... I don’t know if i want to try to make this work, or if I want to just leave.
    I feel numb, a little dead inside. He has said to me that he regrets it, feels like the worst person in the world, feels like he is breaking watching me crumble and cry, that it’s hurting him more than i can ever know.

    I just don’t know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dif,
      I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Your story sounds almost textbook and that's the thing with affairs. Our culture tells us they're one thing but the reality is that, inevitably, they're about escape and distraction from uncomfortable feelings that the cheater is either unwilling or incapable of dealing with. It has less to do with the person (hence why affair partners are often so easily dropped) and more to do with what that person represents.
      But that hardly matters to you when your heart is broken and there's no unbreaking it.
      The other thing our culture tends to lie about re. affairs is that strong women leave. That the only acceptable response is to kick the bum out. Here's the truth: You get to decide how to live your life. Nobody else. You get to figure this out on your own timeline. You do not need to know today where you want to be five years from now. You do not need to know today where you want to be next week. I would urge you to give yourself some time to work through the pain of this and then make a decision that aligns with what you want and with what seems possible given his response to this too. You will be able to see whether or not he holds true to what he's telling you now. You will be able to see whether or not you can work through this or not. And then...you can make a clearer choice.
      My advice to most newly betrayed is to focus on you -- taking care of yourself, being gentle with yourself. To not pressure yourself to do anything other than rest when needed and take your next right step when you're ready. Just the next step. Not the whole trip.
      You'll find a ton of info on this site and you'll read accounts by incredible women who are strong and smart and compassionate. You'll figure this out, Dif. But for now, give yourself as long as you need.

      Delete
    2. Dif
      I'm so sorry to hear of your pain and anger.
      All you can do at this stage is really take one day at a time as you deal with new waves of emotions. Everything will feel so overwheliming. As Elle adviced...take care of you.
      Thinking of you
      Hugs
      Gabby xo

      Delete
  2. Can someone please remind me how I can post comments (as anonymous) from my iphone.
    I don't always have access to a pc, so can't always comment as for some reason my phone wont let me.
    TIA
    Gabby xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day at a time dear. He seems to be off on the right foot but he needs to sustain it. You get to sit with your grief and pain and process it for as long as you need to. You will begin to trust your intuition and inner voice again. It will just take some time and you can let him know that is what he can give you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DLF, I'm so sorry you are hurting when you thought this was your happy ever after. You are in shock right now. Can't believe this is happening to you. From being together, it sounds like you are not married. My big question is this a pattern? Has he done this before? What says is from the cheaters handbook. He needs to figure out his whys. Not his excuses but his whys. That will tell you how serious he is. You have invested 6 years and I know you feel devastated. Cheaters lie no matter how much it sounds like the truth, it may not because he is trying to save his ass. Look through bank records, phone records and texts. He needs to give you access to all of it. Before you jump into anything just wade in the shallow end for awhile. Find out who is this guy, you thought you knew. Just think one year after you moved in he is resentful. He is working to hard. He is thinks he is not enough. He, he, he, he sounds pretty selfish and immature to me. Take your time with this. No rush. Just sit back and see what he does. Do your best to find out if this is a pattern which would break your heart again. I wish I had found out earlier than investing 38 years of my life.Keep in touch we care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for the support, advice and just being a sounding board for me.

    You know, I’m the classic “I’ve always said I’d leave if this ever happened to me...” and here I am just really unsure about everything.
    The week, has been a long week and I know if I stay it’s a long road... and I know if I leave it’s still a long road. Either way it’s hard.
    I’ve said so much good and bad to him this entire week. He still has been adamant that he’s sorry. He is going to work hard to fix it, and show me that he is 100% invested in us. He is going to fight for me and be the person he should have been the entire time. He will do whatever he has to do every day to prove it to me, no matter how long it takes. None of my yelling, or crying or anything has made me feel like he is tired of hearing me say what I need to say. The things he does say is he knows I’m not going to forgive him right now, and knows I won’t go back to the person I was before finding out. He knows I need space, but still need to say what I need to say. He knows he needs to answer my questions even if they are the same ones... I do feel like he is remorseful, but I still am a million emotions in one.
    I’ve gone thru his phone (he was deleting all texts) the bank statements are all showing things WE spent together, or on the house, nothing out of the ordinary no random meals out that were him and I. So I asked him what he bought her and if he took her out to dinner or lunch or anything. No, no, no it wasn’t that, I never spent a time on her, never bought anything. Which I find so incredibly hard to believe... but I haven’t seen any money withdrawals or anything questionable. The only contact was thru texts, but They were never when we were home or out together. It was when he was at work. It’s just all so confusing still.

    Sorry if I’m repeating the same things... it’s just how can I not? How do I stop my brain from over thinking all day and night... how do i get images out of my head?

    ReplyDelete
  6. DLF, good for you going through everything. That is taking action, that is being strong. Good for you. My H had a separate bank account and I accessed it. Bing - there it was all of it. I know what you mean about losing either way. At the beginning all I could do was cry, yell, throw things at him. This is a new normal. Don't feel bad about it at all. It made me feel good. You keep asking the same questions because your traumatized brain is trying to get stability. Just take care of yourself. I walked my dogs legs off. Men will pay to keep the sex going. If your gut says there is more then there probably is more. What woman would want to keep giving with getting some commodity in return? Your right. Be a trillion things if you need to. No you aren't repeating yourself at all. Mind movies are the worse. My thoughts are with you. I can feel your hurt, anger over the cyber lines. It just hurts my heart for you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails