Tuesday, May 19, 2020

How "My Heartbreak, My Rules" points us toward truth

Honesty is simply a declaration of ones own vulnerability — it is its keen, bright edge — and my own vulnerability and the vulnerability of others became, in the end, a kind of shared armour. I learned that, ultimately, our own truth and sense of self is all any of us have. We are enough, if we could only allow ourselves to be.
~musician Nick Cave, The Red Hand Files

I sometimes struggle to articulate just how deep and broad the change has been to my life since that horrible morning on December 10, 2006, when I asked my husband if he was having an affair, already knowing the answer. One might assume that much of the change has been horrible. After all, infidelity can lead to other dominoes falling – divorce, financial calamity, custody battles, substance abuse. When my mother discovered my father's affair, it ignited a decade of alcohol abuse interspersed with stays at various psychiatric hospitals. It left me motherless for ten pivotal years, from the age of nine to 19. 
And though I felt largely powerless in the hours and days and weeks following confirmation of my husband's infidelity, I can look back and see that I made one very clear choice: I would not go down the same path my mother did. I would do it differently.
It can be hard to talk about choice when responding to a partner's infidelity because we feel stripped of it. We didn't choose for him to cheat on us, we certainly didn't choose the skank(s) he cheated with, we didn't choose this pain. Indeed, our exclusion for any of his choices is exactly why we're in this mess. 
But denying that we have a choice only compounds our feeling is disempowerment. We hold enormous power in the wake of infidelity, if only we can recognize it. And use it.
Which is why I was struck by Nick Cave's newsletter response to a question about his ability to be so honest, to lay himself so bare for the public.
I had created armour over the years to protect myself from..what exactly? Rejection, certainly. Embarrassment. Humiliation. A sense of being excluded. Growing up with an alcoholic mother had left me marinated in shame. I carried it with me everywhere, fearful of other discovering the truth beneath the armour. That I was defective. That I wasn't enough. Not enough to keep my mother moored in reality. Not enough to make her choose me over booze. Not enough.
I didn't know then, of course, that my mother's choices weren't about me at all. They were about her own pain, her own fear of not being enough. Just as I didn't know, on D-Day, that my husband's choices were about his own pain, his fear of not being enough. Her addiction, his addiction had nothing to do with me at all. But I hadn't yet learned that lesson. And so I suited up, as Brené Brown puts it. If I was perfect, I wouldn't be rejected. If I was perfect, my husband wouldn't cheat. If I was perfect, I wouldn't be excluded.
My perfection did nothing to protect me. It only insulated me from genuine connection, from the actual truth – that I was enough, and so was everyone else. "We are enough, if we could only allow ourselves to be," as Nick Cave writes.
Stripped of that armour, faced with the reality that it hadn't protected me at all, I had a choice. You have a choice. Continue to operate by rules that don't work for you, or change the rules. Write your own. The tagline on this site, as I so often remind everyone (and that was coined by the brilliant Steam) is: My heartbreak, my rules.
And those four words change everything. Within those four words is your liberation. They are a battle cry.
Those words are about prioritizing your comfort over his. They are about operating as if your pain matters. Because it does. They are about rediscovering your worth and only allowing people into your life who see your worth too. They are about refusing to go along by rules that harm you, about refusing to stay small. 
It is impossible to overstate just how powerful those words are.
He wants you to stop looking at it phone? My heartbreak, my rules.
He won't stop texting a female co-worker? My heartbreak, my rules.
He wants you to get over it? My heartbreak, my rules.
He refuses to see a therapist? My heartbreak, my rules.
You cannot make him do anything he doesn't want to, of course. But you can refuse to play by his rules. Because, frankly, his rules have actively harmed you. The game has changed and he can either join you or sit this one out. 
What I struggle to articulate is just how much better my life is. And, honestly, I thought my life was pretty good prior to D-Day. I loved my husband, I had three awesome children. But I had betrayed myself long before my husband betrayed me. I routinely trusted others' perceptions over my own. I consistently silenced myself to avoid rocking the boat. I kept myself small to ensure that others have all the room they wanted.
No more. 
I will never say my husband's affair was the best thing for me just as Nick Cave will never say his son's death was good for him. What he and I are both saying is that, out of that pain, as a result of being stripped of our armour is the realization that nothing matters more than living our own truth. Knowing that I am enough changed everything. May it change everything for you too. 

5 comments:

  1. That is crazy December 10th was the day I received a phone call from the ex husband of the woman my husband was seeing. This happened in 2015. I just found your book and have began reading it. I have been lost for the past 4 years. Finally came to the conclusion my husband is a sex addict, he does not want to get help, has even admitted to me he can't be honest with me. I feel trapped and alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband had an affair in 2015 as well...it was in March. Even after getting caught he carried on - he got caught 3 times and gave her up. He was willing to risk everything for her, and the only reason it stopped is because it was a long distance affair and he got tired of getting caught. I firmly believe to this day that she was the love of his life and that I wore him down so he stayed with me and our children. He even admitted recently that he wouldn't put up a fight for me if I left, amd yet he fought so hard for six months for this other woman. But I'm years into this now, and I can't change anything. My life isn't horrible, and I have plenty to be thankful for, I just won't have a husband who truly loves me in the way he loved her, and I've come to accept this. Sometimes it is maybe OK to accept what you have is the best you could have (my husband is waaay out of my league in many ways.) I don't want to end our marriage, so I'm making the best of what remains.

      Delete
  2. Anony, 2:31 pm. I'm sure you do feel trapped. I can remember feeling that way. Stay with a cheater? Go it alone? Just stay where I am but check out? Each time I was in the middle, I would look at what I have now then look to the future 5 years out. I have traveled alot out of town. I knew how hard it was to connect to other people, it would take effort. My sister told me you will just pick another loser. The difference is my H wanted to change. He learned to cook. He does more here than I do. He is a regular becky-homecky. He also shows me everyday, how much he cares for me. Just an outsider view - why can't he be honest? Is he afraid you will leave? It takes a hell-a-lot for some men to even they are wrong. Before you get too trapped. Some cheaters would rather be cake eaters. He knows he is wrong, ashamed or he would be honest with you. Is he willing to do what it takes to make you feel safe? Sounds like he is terrible at opening up or communicating. From what I read, not my personal experience, sex addicts have an unpleasant past of some sort of abuse. Maybe that is a place to start. Second, why do feel trapped?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My Heartbreak, My Rules" is the best piece of advice that has gotten me through this. Make no mistake, there was no quick arrival at a solution for me. I had to walk through alot of confusion but that has been my guiding star and it has served me well. Anon, ask yourself what you deserve and what you are willing to live with. Are you willing to live with someone whose sex addiction and disordered behavior is untreated? What would that life look like for you? I realize that I was stuck in large part because I couldn't accept the reality of him and his choices. I wanted him to be different and do different than he was. But I had no capacity to make him do anything. I could only say what I was willing to accept and what I wasn't. You have to find those words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Llp- i feel trapped for different reasons. Im being lied to continously, and no transparency or filters or anything. I relied on snooping but then he asked me to no longer do that because it tempts him to cheat more.
    Hes left mid discussion when i feel hurt, hopeless and like he has no empathy towards me. I have empathy towards him. I understand his past makes it hard. I understand that the people encouraging the sex addiction were his friends. Idk what to do anymore. Hes clearly just making his rules and i have to follow them. Im not really allowed any rules. Most people are telling me to leave but it feels overwhelming and like Im a failure. I don’t understand how to leave. Has anyone successfully left a situation like this? Because it makes me want to cry and scream and literally kill myself.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails