Friday, July 17, 2020

Guest Post: What two years have taught me

by Chinook

Two years ago today, I found a series of text messages on my husband’s phone that changed me forever. When the one-year “anti-versary” came around, I marked the occasion with a summary of what the year had taught me, which Elle kindly published for all of you to read. It’s been two years and I thought I’d send an update. I remember how desperate I was in those early days to hear from women who were further along the post-betrayal road than me.
My story is this: Two years and ten weeks ago, my husband started testing the waters of leaving me. He was middle aged and unhappy. Marriage was tough and parenting was exhausting, but rather than talk about it and work towards positive change, he decided to pin his feelings of frustration and unhappiness on me. He began secretly searching for apartments and, to ease his fear of abandonment (ironic, I know), started dating a much, much younger woman from his gym. All this after I had spent years killing myself to single-handedly keep our marriage on track with everything from special anniversary gifts to kid-free weekends away.
My gut knew something was wrong from (I now know) the first day he took the other woman’s number. It was screaming “emergency!” but my husband shut down every attempt I made to talk about it. I even asked my husband point blank if he was having an affair, which, of course, he told me was “crazy”. And then eventually I checked his phone.
Here’s what I’ve learned in the year since I last wrote.


1. Calling it PTSD is accurate and necessary.
Discovering the affair was horrific, but the most profoundly traumatizing part was the seven weeks of non-stop lying that came after. After I packed a bag and walked out on him and the kids, without telling him where I was going, who I was seeing or when I’d be back (I went to a girlfriend’s house for the weekend), my husband suddenly realized the staggering size of his stupidity, and swung into desperate damage control. Any trust I had left was obliterated as he swore up and down, including swearing on the lives of our children, that he had told me everything, only for me to discover, in my sleuthing, lie after lie, each one of which he fessed up to immediately but then swore it was the last.
I had been too shell-shocked to make any kind of decision when I first found the texts on his phone but after those seven weeks of lying, which were the seven most traumatizing weeks of my life, I had to kick him out for my own emotional safety. I was a wreck—a shell of my former self. I had real, horrific PTSD symptoms (panic attacks, hypervigilance, intrusive thoughts) and required medication to get through the day, then other medication to get through the night. Calling it “PTSD” felt a bit dramatic at first. After all, I hadn’t been to war or anything. But it was accurate; I really was traumatized. It was necessary to call it PTSD in order for other people to understand what I was experiencing and in order for me to have compassion for myself.
This is something that all the Dear Sugar podcasts and Esther Perel lectures either don’t say or don’t emphasize properly: betrayal is traumatizing. The best source I’ve found for information about betrayal trauma is Michelle D. Mays and I encourage everyone here to read her blog.

2. There can be no healing without truth—and the truth must come from him
Discovering you’ve been cheated on is like being shot at close range—your body is instantly ripped apart in hundreds of places and you are riddled with shot. The only instrument that could dig the shot out of me and leave my ripped-open body a fighting chance at healing was the truth.
Some people don’t want to know the truth but as far as I’m concerned, there can be no real healing without it. As Elle has pointed out, the truth doesn’t have to mean all the details—it doesn’t matter if her dress was red or blue, if they ate Greek food or Indian—but it does matter why he had an affair (“I wasn’t thinking” is not an acceptable answer), how he justified it to himself (“I didn’t think you’d find out” is not an acceptable answer), how long it went on, and what lines he crossed.
My husband actually chose to start individual counselling around the time he started his affair. This might seem odd—after all, why participate in something that can help make you healthy while you’re simultaneously doing something that will destroy your entire life? I think of it like someone going to Alcoholics Anonymous while simultaneously getting black-out drunk every night—they know they have a problem but they aren’t ready to do the hard work needed to change.
My husband went to therapy but kept the affair hidden from his therapist. He kept it hidden from everyone, including his best friend. Until I caught him. How was he able to compartmentalize so effectively? A traumatizing childhood of neglect, abuse and abandonment that he had never dealt with. As Elle says: hurt people hurt people.
After I found the text messages on his phone, as he lied and I caught him and he lied more and I caught him again, and every time I became more broken, more emaciated, more desperate, he finally came to accept, with his therapist’s help, that he had to come clean about absolutely everything for the sake of my mental health, even if it meant that I would loathe him forever, turn his children against him, and divorce him in the most unequitable and brutal way possible.
So, he told me everything.
I hit him. I screamed. I threw him out. My trust for him was levelled, right down to the scorched earth. But that day, when he came to me with information instead of me sleuthing around to find it and making myself sick in the process, was a turning point. That was the day my cheating, lying, compartmentalizing husband ceased to exist and a different man started to become.

3. It’s really, really, seriously not about you. At all. 
This is something I’ve written about in the past (and so has Elle) but it warrants repeating now: The affair had nothing to do with you. So, if you’re blaming yourself in any way, you can stop. The affair was 100% about your partner wanting to escape his problems instead of doing the hard work of facing them head-on.
It took some time for this to sink in, but the affair also had nothing to do with the Other Woman. Men who cheat aren’t looking for someone better than their partners, they’re looking for someone who will make them feel good about the fact that they are traumatizing another person by cheating on them. In other words, they’re looking for someone who is awful. The Other Woman’s number one most attractive feature to your cheating partner is that she was there, and she was so lacking in self-respect that she was willing to engage in something illicit with someone else’s partner. That’s a level of rot that cannot be salvaged by all the flat stomachs and perky tits in the world.

4. Separation was awesome.
We were separated (as in, living in separate places) for nine months, and I’m so glad we were. It was expensive to have two households but it was necessary. That separation gave me the chance to feel safe again, to grow stronger, and to evaluate whether I was making choices out of fear. It showed my husband that I was damned serious about leaving him. And it gave him the opportunity to prove he would do anything to earn a second chance.
He seized that opportunity and showed me how life would be different if I took him back. After nine months of complete and utter devotion to his individual therapy and to the kids and to me, I let him move into the guest room where he continued his devotion to self-transformation and to us. His devotion continues but now, we’re back in the same room together.

5. The loss is permanent
I no longer wear my wedding ring. I took it off two days after catching him in his affair, once the initial shock faded, and I have never put it back on. I can’t imagine that I ever will. I have also permanently taken down all the wedding photos that used to be on display in our home. When I see a friend posting about their wedding anniversary on Facebook or Insta (“seventeen years with the love of my life!”) I feel intensely sad because I don’t want to ever celebrate another wedding anniversary again. It would feel like a celebration of the day he took vows that he didn’t even try to keep.
There’s so much loss after a betrayal. The loss of trusting him unconditionally. The loss of never wondering, in some corner of my mind, if he’s lying. The loss of feeling lucky to be with him. I mourn those losses every day. As Elle consoled me recently, and wrote about in this brilliant post, so much of the first few years is just working through the grief.

6. The gains are also permanent
I am not the same woman I was two years ago today and thank God for that.
She was an incredibly hard-working person, that former Chinook. She had been forced to single-handedly carry the weight of her marriage for over four years, and she was doing it. She was also terribly self-sacrificing and exhausted and seething with resentment.
My priorities are completely different now. My top priority (after the kids, though sometimes even before them) is me. Not my marriage. Not my husband. Me. It took my husband having an affair to do it (which is messed up), but I now feel completely justified in saying what I want, in taking what I need, and in refusing to accept something that is not good enough for me. And if any of those actions result in the loss of other people, including my husband, I accept that trade-off.
Two years and one day ago, I was always scared of rocking the boat in my marriage (for good reason—my husband used anger and disapproval as a countermove whenever I wanted us or him to work on something). I was always overextending myself to help others. I was always besieged by the feeling that it was selfish to put myself first.
Shedding that feeling, which I have had for my entire life, even in childhood, has been the single best thing to come out of this whole mess, and I really don’t think I could have done it without a seismic shift in my life.

7. Feed the right wolf. Over and over and over.
You know the old fable: There are two wolves fighting. Which one will win? Whichever one you feed.
The past makes me sad. The present makes me happy. The gains make me happy. The losses make me sad. If I think about what he did then, I get livid. If I think about what he’s doing now, I feel grateful.
There is nothing to be gained from letting thoughts about what he did take up residence in my mind. Those thoughts cannot protect me. Best to actively chase them away. There is no point in chastising him for what he did. He hates himself for it. And it can’t be changed. Best to let him know when I feel pain, let him know how I need to be comforted, and let him.
Keeping my mind and heart at peace means feeding the right wolf.
And that’s something I have to do every day.

8. I am slowly making my peace with it all.
I’m friends with a married couple in which one person financially betrayed the other by secretly spending a lot of their retirement savings on frivolous things. That was a few years ago now, and they’re genuinely over it. When I asked the betrayed partner how she did it—how she forgave—she just shrugged and said that she’s a forgiving person.
I am not a forgiving person, and this whole experience has forced me to consider whether that is doing me any good in life. Forgiving someone doesn’t mean that you’re okay with what happened, it means that you accept that it did happen, which leads to peace. And although I cannot say that I forgive him, I am slowly making my peace with what happened.

9. Trust isn’t an all or nothing thing.
I wrote above that my husband told me everything.
But did he?
The truth is that I’ll never know. He confessed to things I would never have found out on my own and which I consider unforgivable—like sending the other woman photos of our kids and even taking our youngest to meet her. He also maintains that the affair did not pass second base (he had the opportunity, many times, but couldn’t bring himself to do it because he was still on the fence about leaving me), which I find unlikely but which he has no reason to lie about, given that I consider my children’s involvement far worse.
I spent much of the first year post-D-day verifying everything he told me, trying to catch him in a lie. Did he love this constant mistrust? Of course not. But he understood it and was completely transparent, giving me all his passwords and always leaving his phone our where I could see it and check it. Slowly, as he proved himself day after day, trust started to come back. It was extremely slow and it came in tiny increments (think of an hourglass through which only a single grain of sand passes per day). But 730 days later, I’d say my trust is back up somewhere around 80%.

10. There is, eventually, a shift from present to past
A few months ago, I felt a strange and very welcome shift. In talking about the affair with my therapist, I heard myself say “but that was a long time ago”.
I’ve heard women on this site, Elle chief among them, say that as they drove along towards their happier future on the road of self-compassion and self-worth that they built themselves, they discovered at one point that the affair was no longer all around them, it was in the rearview mirror.
I get that now. My new present tense is that he is a kind and respectful and open and equal partner. (He’s actually a far kinder and more respectful equal partner than many of my friends’ husbands who didn’t and probably wouldn’t cheat.)
The affair and lying and pain? I can still see them. But for the most part, they’re contained within the small rectangle of the rearview mirror.


36 comments:

  1. Heartwarming to hear but also heartbreaking to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I just want to know how everyone is able to "kick out" their husbands when they're caught cheating? I asked mine to leave when that happened for the umpteenth time 2 1/2 years ago. He never left. He told me that I would have to leave because it was his house. We've been fighting that same battle for the last 2.5 years. Things got really bad in the 6 months after I found the text messages where he told another woman he loved her. I couldn't move on and he was still there. Then even worse in the three months after that when I again asked him to leave or I tried to leave (although I couldn't really afford it). Then things mellowed for awhile and then, this past fall it hit an all time low of me staying through something I really shouldn't. I want him out, but as much as I tell him, ask him, etc....he won't leave....it's his house. I could leave, but I can't afford it really....not with my kids. And I don't want to leave them here. They shouldn't have to be with someone like that.

    I just wonder how everyone seems to get the cheater to leave when they're outed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as though you're in an abusive relationship. A repentent cheater will leave because he knows he's caused you pain and that you need the space. You say it's "his house". Have you contributed nothing to it? I urge you to meet with a lawyer and figure out what right you do have, including financial support for your children. I also encourage you to really consider whether you can't afford to leave. Your lifestyle may change but wouldn't it be worth it to remove yourself and your kids from that environment? Sounds like you're paying a price for living in a situation in which you are treated with zero respect.
      Start with meeting with a lawyer (most will offer a complimentary consulation) and then create an exit plan. Begin putting necessary steps in place. You deserve so much more than this.

      Delete
    2. Mine husband wouldn't leave either. Asked several times over the years, said he had no where to go. That's BS, he has family and friends. I swear it's just manipulation.

      Delete
  3. Wow what a story, your right luppylu heartbreaking and heartwarming xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My H is so broken that he puts forth barely any effort toward our marriage. He doesn’t shame me or say anything derogatory, just says nothing. He says he’s numb and indifferent. There’s really nothing I feel i can do. He’s moving out this weekend into his own place, hoping to change how he doesn’t feel anything but still putting forth no marital effort. He has said he wants a divorce but is still saying “if he comes back” type things. He says he doesn’t want to torture me anymore which is why he’s moving toward divorce which by the way I’m the one that started the process at his request. Sorry for the ramble i just feel like I’m spinning out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bonbeaner,
      Your husband might be depressed if he feels "numb and indifferent". That also might be his way of telling you that he wants out, even if he can't bring himself to follow through. But it doesn't really matter. Either way, he's not committed to the marriage, which means you're in it alone. It hurts, I know. And you will grieve the loss of the marriage you thought you had. But I hope, with time, you'll realize you've got your freedom back.

      Delete
  5. Great to read Chinook.

    For me, trust could never have been rebuilt because he kept it broken with his continued lies, betrayals and breaking of boundaries over many years. My protestations of his choices to put others ahead of me fell on his deaf ears.
    I did everything possible to keep my marriage and family together, but he was off. Off in his world of delusion.
    Delusion of grandiose, of his self, where ego was his voice of entitlement. Where willing skanks were his voice of encouragement, where lack of honour was his reason for ignoring his financial responsibilities.
    He did all the opposite to healing our marriage.
    He would not be transparent, share his life with me or do anything to prove he was willing to fix what he did by giving me his phone, email etc - heck, he didn’t even let me “friends” with him on his social media!
    He ended up being a very cruel man. He abused me emotionally, socially, and financially.
    As much as I absolutely hated him, I knew the struggles ahead of me as a single mom and I was willing to stay until our youngest had finished school.
    Looking back now, I sometimes feel I was so pathetic in my attempts to keep my marriage going, then I feel, well, I did everything I could and I was doing it for my kids. It’s the financial impact that’s the hardest to deal with.
    It still upsets me that he broke up our family. I came from a broken home and I so badly wanted to have a family and create that happiness with my children that I missed out on.
    The kids don’t miss him. They don’t really have a good relationship with him, but that’s not my problem anymore.
    What is killing me is how he has screwed me over financially. He’s an executive and earns good money, and after everything he has done, he’s being an absolute bastard with money. The house was lost because of him and now with covid, finding another job when everyone else is looking for work is a struggle. I was a stay at home mom, so without any qualifications, it is making earning a decent wage impossible. And to go back and study costs money and time which I don’t have much of….and I am still not in the right head space.
    Even though I am now divorced, I visit here often, reading with sadness at more women having to deal with betrayal.
    I can honestly say, I don’t miss him. He is not a good person, and our values and morals do not match up. I am really happy on my own with my kids,pets, family and friends.
    My girlfriends! I am one lucky person to have such wonderful supportive girlfriends who have rallied around me (before social distancing).
    Him? According to the kids, he’s still an arrogant person, who they have seen him treat his skank not well, being emotionally abusive tto her and her sulking. But not my problem. She wanted him, she was happy to break up a family to get him- hahaha.

    If I can offer some advice to those who are still see-sawing between staying/going - kicking him out.
    You don’t have to decide today, tomorrow, or for weeks, months or years.
    If you haven’t got a good financial back up plan - START NOW. If you can squirrel away money somehow, do so. (Lawyers fees alone are expensive and add up).
    Trust your gut.
    Stick to your boundaries.
    If he’s not prepared to do the work to heal the mess he made - he may still be having an affair - or he just doesn’t want to because he’s not interested in you and his mind is elsewhere. I know that’s hard to hear, but the truth can’t be pushed aside any longer. You deserve respect.

    As for me, where do I go from here? All I know is
    I am free!!!

    Hugs
    Gabby xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Chinook. My d-day 7 yr antiversary is coming up. I would write every single word you said, too. Except it took me 7 years vs. your 2 so I commend you for being faster on the draw than me ;) Re: PTSD-- I specialize in applying an understanding of trauma to my work so I consider myself semi-professional on this. I know I suffer from PTSD because of what happened and how he responded (poorly). I am currently dealing with physical symptoms and pain that correlate to traumatic stress. Making him leave was the best thing I did for myself. Granted we had a couples therapist who made it not a question about who would go so we didn't have to fight that battle though H certainly had a pity party about it. Financially, it seemed impossible but the therapist said just put it out there, start making steps and see what happens. If he is not coming to you with humility and contriteness, then I highly recommend drawing that line. Because when a man is acting from shame and self pity, he will only cause you more harm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I've been following this page for sometime now. I first learned of the betrayal in April 2019. He had been having an affair with a co-worker for 8 months. I should have left at that time but I did not want to. We have been together 3 years. We are not married and I still have my own house. I know. Different story than all of you. We have kids but not together and they have all accepted our "little family". I knew it was happening and called him out on it. He told me nothing was going on. When he finally told me,I was devastated. But the one thing I knew, I wanted to be with him. I do not need him financially or to help me raise my child. I had been a single mom for 8 years and it was divine. Then I met him.

    Well, I couldn't let go of it and the trust did not come back so I continued to watch his phone like a hawk. In November 2019, I found a text from him to another woman. I lost it. I told him to get out of my house, screamed, cried, hit. He asked me to stay for his daughter because she was going through a rough period. I wanted to stay, hoping it would be the last. He continued to text with both these ladies even though he said he stopped. Nothing sexual, friends. In March, I found out he was still texting them when I took care of him after he had to have his hamstring re-attached. I almost left just knowing they were texting. But I stayed. He blocked them and he really did block them after that. Well about two weeks ago, he was in a wreck and broke his neck. I have been taking care of him. The first one sent him a card - no name or return address but signed love always. I blew up. Knowing exactly who it was from. They were friends prior to all this for a number of years. I went through his email. She emailed him. She is continuously trying to break us up but he does not see it. He responds in short clipped answers and I told him he needed to stop. There were only two emails from this month. I have looked before and found nothing.

    He knows I have looked at his email and his phone as I tell him immediately and call him out on it. He says it will never happen again and that he does not want to lose me. He has never blamed me. He claims he never cheated before on his ex-wife as he was married and raising kids and you did not do that. It was an unhappy marriage though. I am so torn on leaving as I am not finding my way out of not trusting him or believing it will not happen again. But afraid to leave as I don't want to regret it. What if...

    Sorry for rambling. I'm just at a loss. I've been in a bad relationship before and left when my son was 6 months old. I was single for 8 years so I'm not afraid to be alone and I can financially take care of myself. Why is it so hard for me to walk away. Why does he do this. I just don't know anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      There are a lot of reasons why and none of them have anything to do with you. You are enough. You do not deserve any of this. And the "why" is for him to find out. He's betrayed your trust repeatedly so, clearly, a promise that he's really done now is pretty much worthless. What you need is to SEE change in him. You need to check his e-mails and find NOTHING. You need to check his phone and see NOTHING. That's how he earns back your trust. When his words and actions align. And when he's able, with the help of a therapist, figure out what he's getting out of these other relationships that is worth risking the great woman he's already got. But that's HIS job, not yours.
      Your job is take care of you and your child, to keep yourselves emotionally, physically, financially and psychologically safe. And if you can't do that right now with him, then that's fine. You'll see the tagline on this site is "My heartbreak, my rules" and it means exactly that. YOU get to decide what things look like moving forward, you get to decide what you need. This guy either has horrible luck (re. accidents) or he's subconsciously self-destructing (which might explain the cheating too). Either way, I'd tell him that he needs a plan to clean up his act and then you need to see him do it.

      Delete
  8. I feel almost exactly as you did/do, from start to finish. I'm 2.5 years from D-Day(s) and am so glad we are seeing the light on the other side now xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Chinook, I just wanted to say that your post has been a lifeline today. Im 3 months in. I thought I was doing quite well, i thought the roller coaster was starting to flatten, but the last 2 days have been agony. No real reason why. So thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I've just found your website. I wanted to talk to someone I found out 2 weeks before that my partner who we are engaged and have a one year old son he has open an account in a dating site . I feel heartbroken every time I see him I feel so much anger and I want to cry and hit him . All in once. What to do? Should I tell him what I saw on his phone? I'm afraid I don't want to lose him but I feel really so stupid that I believed him that he really loved me . How he says that he loves me when he's searching for other women ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for the pain you're in. Yes, you need to tell him. And please know that cheating has very little to do with you. I know it sounds crazy. But it's often an escape from day-to-day life, it's like a fantasy for those unable or unwilling to work through uncomfortable feelings. But if you plan to marry this guy, you need to be able to have these tough conversations and you need to be able to trust that he's honest with you. Nobody is worth staying with if the price you pay is silence.

      Delete
  11. Hello I've found out a few weeks ago that my partner who also we are engaged and have a one year old son has open a dating account . Now all the trust that I had in him is gone , I can't sleep at nights I just look at him and wonder what I did wrong and he doesnt love me and he's searching for other women. I'm afraid that if I tell him I will lose him cause we have and my son now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivian, I assume you're the same person who wrote above? Please know this isn't about you or your worth. The women here are among the most incredible and they've been cheated on. There is nothing wrong with you, there is something wrong with HIM.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing your insights and experience. It's been only two weeks since I found out and it really does help to read your perspective. We struggled with years of infertility struggles before I finally fell pregnant in 2018, my son is now 15 months old. I just don't understand how my husband could have an affair for the past 6 months when we've been through so much together already.
    I met with the other woman yesterday, at my request, and was surprised at how ordinary I found her to be. I know my husband has lots of things to resolve for himself. I just wish he would get on with it but it's going to be a long journey and I'm not sure I have the strength or desire to wait around for years until he works out what's wrong and whether he loves me enough. It's heartbreaking to love someone who doesn't love you back in the way that you wish for.
    This weekend I'm having a spa trip with two girlfriends and my husband is taking care of our toddler for the first time overnight since he was born.
    Thank you for reminding me that it's not my fault, nor me about me, that's difficult to remember.
    My focus now is on myself and my son. I really hope that this situation can be turned into something much better for all of us, but only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlotte,
      I'm so sorry for what you're going through. But I'm very glad you're prioritizing self-care and self-respect.
      So many of us are baffled when we discover our parter's infidelity, often because they don't want to leave the mariage at all. So...why? Most of us fundamentally misunderstand affairs. They are rarely about trading up (as you've discovered) and far more frequently about stepping out of real-life into a fantasy world in which the normal worries don't apply. I imagine infertility introduced a fair bit of stress into your lives, even though you're undoubtedly grateful for your child. To someone unable to articulate or even understand that, an affair is an escape. So what I'm saying is, I suspect you're looking at the wrong things (you, your marrige, your family) when you're trying to understand rather than the right things (your husband's ability to process his feelings). But his job right now is to work through that and figure out why he risked everything. Your job is to heal. Whether or not you stay together isn't something you need to decide right now. You get to make a choice whenever you feel ready to...and that choice can be revisited. My heartbreak, my rules.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for this! I am new to the club (first blog post ever). My husband and I have been together since we were very young (14 and 15). I discovered some inappropriate texts to a "man" after a night that my gut was telling me something was off. I confronted him on March 17th,didn't believe his denial, had STD testing (his response made me think that I was crazy), then the day after our 15th wedding anniversary, he finally admitted to cheating. The "man" was actually a married woman that actively pursued him, and rather than talking to me and denying her, he had sexual relations with her. He told me that she made him feel wanted....I get that things were not perfect with us. I was lonely, he was off hanging out with his friends and out several nights per week while I was trying to hold the kids and house together is some sort of a routine. I was tired of asking/yelling/crying to him to be present to me and the family. He would just tell me I was a "hermit" and never wanted to do anything. I would go out with him and I felt that he ignored me and when I would ask to leave, we wouldn't go for another 2 hours. I got the feeling that he didn't really want me there, so I don't know why he would ask. I have always "wanted" him, but I struggled to show him, when I didn't feel like even a small priority in his life. Over time, I slacked waiting for him to want to be with me. I quit asking him to be there for me and the kids. I just let him go, hoping he would eventually realize that I am a "pretty good catch". I am only a month in with the actual confirmation of the betrayal. I am suffering terribly. We grew up together, we are/were best friends, we have been through a lot of things that I thought would make a stronger. I NEVER thought he would betray me like this. I cry everyday, I try to talk to him, but he is now annoyed and resistant, he doesn't want to hear the same thing over and over. He is the love of my life, the only person in this world that I trusted completely, and now I feel alone and empty. I struggle to think that this feeling will have an ending. I am glad I found this website. Yes, we are going to marriage counseling. I had asked him to go years ago when things were beginning to go south....I should have pushed harder. Any insight, guidance, or comments would be really greatly appreciated right now. I am not successful talking to him (he says I say the same things over and over and I just push him away), I haven't told anyone (except my Doctor when I was tested for STDs), and I sometimes just want to scream it out loud for someone else to hear. I want to be with him, but when he says that all I am doing is pushing him away when he is the one that strayed I just don't know what to do. I am just happy that at least I can get my words out here. I hope I can start to feel better soon. I am scared for the outcome of my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are so familiar. Im 3 months in and have been with my husband since we were 18 (22 years). I feel all the devastation, betrayal, disbelief that you have described and more. The difference is that my dick of a husband, has been very open and apologetic, and as mad as it sounds, his ownership of what happened has been the only thing preventing me from going crazy. He was the source of my comfort when I was spiraling. I cant imagine the suffering you must be feeling if your partner is not in a place to take ownership of his choices and of the damage those choices have and will cause to you and your children. Its so important to understand how and why this was able to happen. Where his head was at and why he couldnt talk to you about it. From what i have read, your healing cannot begin until he starts to apologise and mean it. 'Going over and over the same thing' is how we understand and process. If youre having to ask over and over (which im still doing 3 months in) its because you dont understand. Its because he hasnt been honest. Im sure its frustrating for him, but thats his cross to bear! I hope the counselling will address this as it has been a big deal for me.

      Delete
    2. Hello Unknown,
      I understand your pain and I am so sorry that you are going through this. It sucks how they always make you feel as if you are one in the wrong. As you stated he shuts down and says that you will be the one to push him away. They have alot of nerve. When the guy is someone who you have given tour everything to and have been with forever I agree it is tough to let go. I am also new to this infidelity so I can not offer any advice since I'm looking for some too. I only replied to say I understand your pain and it hurts most because of the love you have for your husband. Someone who vowed to protect you and not hurt you. We will get through this journey. I do hear that it won't be fast. It'll take time. I'm grateful for this blog as well. I just needed to express myself. I'm glad we have this platform.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Anonymous' for you quick responses. I was about to spiral into the feelings of loss, rage, and out of control today, knowing that it will close him off and not be productive, but not knowing how to stop if from happening. Then I remembered to look at my post. Knowing that I am not alone (so sorry you are here with me), feeling safe to let my worries out, and reading your kindness and understanding was what I needed to get through the day. I know I may never understand why he did it, but I continue to try. I really hope he finds in himself why he did it, and may be one day he will share that insight with me. Still hating every second since March 17th,but one of my better days, thank you!

      Delete
    4. Losing myself,
      I'm so sorry for the pain you're in. Please know you will survive this. You are not alone. You are among an incredible group of women (and some men) who know the pain you're in and can light the way forward.
      What you're describing is pretty typical. Marriage is hard. But it sounds too like you tried everything you could to keep him engaged with your family. HE chose to step out. He chose to disengage from your family. I think it's always a good idea to take a look at the marriage and see where each of us takes responsibility but don't take more than is actually yours.
      The other thing that concerns me is his resistance to your pain. It will be incredibly hard for him to hear your pain and support you through it. Too bad. If he wants to rebuild his marriage into something that both of you want to remain in, then that's what he needs to do. Your pain is valid. HE caused it. You were lonely too.
      I'm attaching a post here that speaks to this (below). But keep reading here. And remember that you didn't deserve this and you can't fix this alone.
      http://betrayedwivesclub.blogspot.com/2014/04/my-letter-to-husbands-just-talk-about.html

      Delete
    5. Thanks Elle! I had already stumbled across this and had sent it to him. I had asked him to read it, but he finally did just last night. Even before him reading this, I have been struggling with our "talks" about the affair, and the more he pulled away and appeared to disregard my pain, but more angry I became, and the negative out of control spiral would begin. I finally realized this, and I revamped my "talks". I decided to limit our talks to a number of questions that I would write down during sleepless nights, rather than a time. He is actually becoming more open to the talks, and even initiated one with me to see how I was doing. I am finding better moments in the day, but when we have a good time together, I feel like a "slap in the face" when the time together and or the time with family is completed. All the emotions come running in again. I feel like I have sacrificed so much during the relationship over many years, and now I have to "give up" more of myself because of the choices he made. I HATE that he made a decision for us, and didn't even think to talk to me about it before he chose to do it. It makes no sense to me, and I struggle with that daily. I also find the my questions have shifted to more of "us", rather than "them". For example: I have asked why did you give yourself permission to have sex with someone other than me? or What are your thoughts about being faithful to me? or I know you love me, but are you committed to me and what makes you committed now when you couldn't be before? They are so different than me finding details about all ins/outs of the affair. I am scared, because he continues to say "I don't know" or "I don't know how to answer that" for most of the questions I ask....it doesn't matter if they are the affair questions or the newer "our relationship questions". I just keep taking one day at a time.....or one hour at a time. Whatever it takes!

      Delete
  14. Hello
    I came across this blog and couldn't stop reading. I've been with my husband for over 20 years. We have been married for 14 years. Next month is our wedding anniversary. On Saturday I came across a text message in his phone. The following morning I noticed the message was deleted. It was a short message that said (Muahh). I know that word means kiss. It took me all morning to figure out how I was going to deal with it. Knowing my husband he is good for turning the situation around on you. So I decided to first call the number for further proof. I just wanted to make sure it was a female voice before I confronted him. Since I knew I would need more proof since the message was deleted. I approached him first by saying look we all adults, and what I'm about to ask you I need the truth. We are both in our mid 40's and are to old for this shit. Surprisingly he told me the truth. He said this particular female liked him. At that moment I did not want to hear anything else. Just knowing that the man of my life, my first everything was conversing with another female. It felt as if I was shot in the heart. I took my ring off and threw it at him. Since its only been 2 days my mind is still racing. I'm unable to sleep, I'm still in disbelief, I'm pissed, I have visions of what they possibly have done. I have so many questions but I ask myself can I handle the truth. Like many other bloggers I have to wear to go so we are still in our home. I haven't spoken to him in 2 days. We still sleep in the same bed, however we are completely separated. I've always said cheating was my deal breaker and he knows this. We've been together forever, it's like I dont know what I would do without him. I just want the thoughts to subside so I can think. I'm truly hurt and disappointed in my husband. We walk around the house not speaking, mainly me. I can't stand to look at him. I know all marriages have their ups and downs. We've had a rough start since buying the house back in 2012, however we were just starting to get our groove back. We were beginning to communicate back. We have been there for one another through family deaths. My family LOVES HIM, and his family LOVES ME as well. I wouldn't dare tell my family, I can't dare to see the disappointment on their faces. I only told my sister and she is shocked as well. She has offered me great advice too. Is it weird that i just want to tell everyone I see about what I'm doing through? I was never the one to have alot of friends but I do have a huge family. I was complacent about going to work and coming home and being with my family. My husband was all the friend I thought I needed. When we met he was the outside type. When I discovered he cheated I would get dressed and leave the house. Without a destination in mind. I just need to get out and feel free. I don't want him to know my every move anymore. That's why he got comfortable because he knew I wasn't the type to run the streets.
    Sorry if it feels like I'm babbling, this is still all just a shock to me. I really don't know what I am going to do. I thought about calling a friend of mine who was cheated on but then I don't want everyone in my business. I almost feel embarrased and fear that people would talk. Its going to be a rough road. I want him to acknowledge how badly he hurt me. He was suppose to protect me at all cost. We've been together since I was 18 years old and he was 20 years old. Like I said he was my first everything. Every time I think about it I get sick to my stomach. I think the thoughts are the worse. I needed this outlet to express myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      I totally feel your pain. I was very comfortable with my husband being my everything too. I have friends, but I told him my "nitty gritty" stuff. I was very happy just having him. He was my first everything as well. I thought we were each other's "only's", but I was terribly mistaken. I had a friend whose husband cheated as well. She is very open about it and they got through it. I want to talk to her, but I can't. I am thinking of you, and so sorry that we both have to go through this similar situation. His betrayal is all I think about, and it is hard talking to him and not talking to him about it at the same time. I tried to engage a conversation with him just minutes ago. He eye-rolled and said it is the only thing I want to talk about. Of course that just pissed me off and I began the rage spiral, so I shut the door and came to my computer. I think he should be trying to show me how wrong he was in his actions, and I am scared that he doesn't feel remorse and I am fooling myself into thinking we can work it out. I hope your husband is open with whatever you need, because I think I am just spiraling deeper today. Everyday is different...I hope he (my husband) can finally discuss the real reason for his straying, not just say I didn't want him. I am sure our marriage state contributed, but HE was the one that made the unilateral decision to cheat. I was not involved. Sorry for the ramble. Just spiraling a bit and needed to vent. Use the outlet whenever you need. I feel your hurt and totally understand the pain. I want you to know that you are HEARD, and I keep hearing that it takes time. Right now time is moving too slowly.....

      Delete
    2. Anonymous,
      I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Everything you're feeling is "normal" under the circumstances. Betrayal is completely destabilizing. It's like we can no longer trust the ground beneath our feet.
      Right now, you are in shock. As best you can, get sleep, eat well, exercise. Self-care is crucial.
      If you don't have a therapist, I hope you'll find one to help your process all the pain of betrayal. It's a long road and it really helps to have a professional to guide you through. This site (and there are others too) can be lifesavers. You are not alone. We all know exactly what you're going through.
      There's a tagline at the top of this site that says "My heartbreak, my rules." We believe that. YOU get to decide what you need to heal from this. Do you need access to his electronics? Do you need e-mail passwords? Do you need him to check in with you? Do you need a week or two on your own to figure out what you need? My heartbreak, my rules.
      Take your time with this. You will be up and down and all around. It's a roller coaster. I'm really glad you have your sister to confide in. Hang in there. It's a helluva ride but you will get through this.

      Delete
  15. Hey from my own personal experience and am 6 months into finding out my partner had an affair for the last 9 months, you need to sit down and talk to him and find out actual facts, otherwise you will go crazy over thinking everything and making it so much worse in your head with problems that may not even be the facts if that makes sense. I no it’s hard and gut wrenching but hearing that my partner had actually met someone else and hearing her name and then saying that he had slept with her was like a dagger strait to my heart, my first reaction was anger then I just felt numb. But my opinion is Definately communicate that’s the one thing that will help you heal and get the actual facts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi (loosing myself) trust me we all feel your pain! Your not alone, and it’s extremely hard but time is literally the only thing that can help heal the wounds, finding out the truth was so discusting and gut wrenching but I needed to hear it all. I still have certain things that trigger me even hearing her name on tv or just in general is such a yuck feeling. Just know that you aren’t alone and all these things you are feeling are normal. I’m so grateful for this website it really makes you feel like your not alone, it’s good talking to family and friends but no one truly knows the pain unless they’ve been in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo,
      Thanks for reaching out. I am not at a place to talk to my friends or family...when I open that box I know it can't be closed. I am from a small town and they all know or at least know of the other person. It could spiral quickly, and I want to figure things out for myself rather than have all "the support" from others. I am glad I have this. I want to work it out, but I fear that his continued closed off demeanor will limit how much I can achieve. He admitted to the affair after I pretended to be him on messenger and broke it off. I know he loves me, but I think getting caught caused the guilt, not actually breaking the vows. Today is a rough one for me. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Thanks again for your presence.

      Delete
  17. You’ll have those days when it’s tough, but that’s Ok, what your feeling is totally normal and totally justified. You will talk to someone when you feel ready. Otherwise just talk to us lol! Tomorrow will be a better day, any day above ground is a blessing. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, I’m new around here. Thankyou for sharing this it gives me hope And describes exactly how I’m feeling now. I found out 5 days ago, through reading messages and I’m struggling with knowing if what he said happened is the truth...maybe I need to accept I will never know. I’m so confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry...but glad you found us. It is still so early for you. I'm sure you're still in shock. Much will change and please know that you will get through this. His story might change but the broad strokes will become clear and you will discover that the details largely don't matter. He cheated. That's what you know. Focus on your own healing. This guide, written by Chinook (above) is a good guide. Treat yourself with kindness and self-respect. Demand he do the same.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails