Monday, July 27, 2020

How Esther Perel offers a Master Class in Holding Cheaters Accountable

Esther Perel can be polarizing among us betrayed spouses. At least at first.
For one thing, she responds to the unfaithful partner with compassion, something we're loathe to see. We want to see the unfaithful partner drawn and quartered, strung up and humiliated. Compassion? That should be for us, not them! But yes, she has plenty of compassion for us, too.
So, if you can manage it, listen to this recent podcast episode. It features a couple in which the guy is a serial cheater. The wife knows. She is working to forgive. But the husband feels unready to cut ties with the Other Woman.
And though Perel doesn't respond with an eyeroll or a "puh-leeze" or a "JFC, are you kidding me?", she nonetheless calls this guy out. And that's her magic. She calls him out in a way that allows his eyes to open rather than his heart to close.
Consider: 
You see yourself as a good person but you’re not doing good things and you keep trying to close the gap.
Perel makes clear that these guys who are worried about the impact on the Other Woman, or, in the case of the man on her podcast, the impact on the woman's son (he had been the child of a single mother who saw himself in this boy), are lying to themselves, as well as to everyone else. But she doesn't call him a liar. She says, you see yourself as a good person. Yes, he does. A lot of these guys do. They're often as baffled as the rest of us how they got themselves into a situation that, to pretty much everyone else, makes them look like NOT good guys. 
...but you're not doing good things... 
We all know by now, if you've been reading this blog or Encyclopedia for the Betrayed or any number of other books or reputable blog posts, that cheaters are masterful storytellers. And the person they're mostly telling stories to is themselves. They don't always realize it. In fact, part of coming clean after infidelity is recognizing the stories they've told themselves. Stories like, "nobody appreciates me", or "I work so hard and get nothing in return" or even vague, amorphous stories about how life/work/family just isn't what they thought it would be. And so when someone shows up and pays attention to these guys, listens to their stories, it's intoxicating. They want it to continue. It can feel like a drug. Besides, they tell themselves another story, nobody needs to get hurt. ...but you're not doing good things... That's pretty much cold water on the "nobody gets hurt" story. Because people do get hurt. They are devastated. They are traumatized. Besides, Perel points out, even if nobody finds out ...you're not doing good things. So if you consider yourself a good guy but...you're not doing good things..., well, then,  how do you square that circle? You don't. Not until your actions are aligned with your declared values. 

And consider this too:
You may leave this marriage, you may stay in this marriage, but you still wouldn’t understand squat.
How many of us are beseeched to "let it go", "move forward", "stop dwelling in the past". As if that's the problem. As if everything would be fine if we could just overlook that teensy indiscretion (that might have gone on for years), or move past those lies that made us think we were crazy. And that's Perel's point here. Without interrogating the infidelity, without examining the stories they were telling themselves, anyone who cheated isn't going to learn a damn thing, whether they stay or go. The key, she insists, is to understand the why of the infidelity. What were they looking for that they didn't think they could get inside the marriage? What lies were they believing about what they were doing that kept them neither inside nor outside the marriage but straddling this delusional line? That's where the healing will be found. Or perhaps not the healing per se but the finger pointing towards the healing. 

And, finally, consider this:
I think you might get more from understanding the meaning than the facts.
Wow, huh? A whole lotta these guys spend their time citing the facts of theirinfidelity rather than the meaning. Why? Well, it's a whole lot easier to catalogue (honestly or otherwise) the number of times they slept with her, or the name of the restaurant they took her to, or the times they told her that they never planned on leaving their marriage. So much harder to understand the meaning behind those actions. Like Perel's comment above, infidelity tells us a whole lot about ourselves, some of it none too flattering. And looking in that metaphorical mirror can feel excruciating. Owning the ways in which we betrayed people we care about is painful. But, as Perel points out, it's necessary if we're going to move forward in a way that takes us toward a deeper, more meaningful relationship. 

That, ultimately, is Perel's goal. Not (never!) to let people off the hook for bad behaviour but to guide them toward a deeper understanding of themselves. To show them that they can be a good person who does a bad thing but they need to acknowledge that bad thing and  stop doing it. That in order to choose to be in a marriage or out of it, they need to respond rather than react. They need to make a conscious choice rooted in respect for their partner and themselves. Shame doesn't get us there. Hard work tempered by compassion does. That work is theirs, of course. It is not our job to fix them or point them toward understanding. It is our job to set clear boundaries, do what we can to keep ourselves physically and emotionally safe and learn how to trust ourselves. And that, too, must come from compassion. There's enough to go around.

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic post. I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I will. I'm normally not an EP fan but I have an open mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Esther. And your words here. Listened to this specific podcast and it resonated on a very personal level. Thanks for the rec.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther Perel's lecture got me through 2015. She is so honest and raw that it is sometimes hard to listen to and take it all in.
    Great blog post. I have always been a fixer for everything and everyone. Perhaps that is why I am frustrated at not being able to fix myself. I still cannot be accepting of his affair and harbor simmering anger. I know it is unhealthy and actually my husband has done a complete 360 but my thoughts linger. I don't want to stay and I don't want to go. I love him and I don't love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      "My thoughts linger". Life might be easier if we could just go to the local drug store and buy something for that. Even after 5 years post D-day I sometimes struggle with "thoughts that linger". Maybe Elle and others will jump in on this or perhaps this is worth an entirely new post? Hang in there. Thoughts can be fleeting. Actions and behavior count a lot more than thoughts but thoughts can be toxic and keep us stuck. Knowing this truth and moving on is still a challenge at times for me.

      Delete
    2. Beach Girl and Bingo, Thank you for responding. I agree with what you both said. I suppose I am trying to gauge love versus despair. I don't know if you watch the HBO series Succession, but in one scene the guy says to his wife " I wonder if the sad I'd be without you would be less than the sad I get from being with you." When I heard that it was as if my quiet thoughts were right there on TV.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous, I have not watched that series. My husband had one brief affair 40 years ago and then moved on to anonymous paid sex with prostitutes so my thoughts, when they came, tended to be something like, "Any random stranger will do for you? What does that say about who you are?" My story is here all over from several years ago but we have moved on and he did a lot of work around why paying for sex with strangers seemed to be an okay option to talking to me about how miserable he was with his life and sharing his childhood history. It was easier for him to publicly pretend that he had a wonderful childhood despite me knowing that his parents had serious problems of their own. I change my thoughts as quickly as I can when things remind me of his choices because they were his choices, not mine and I chose to stay because he chose to change. As long as he remains committed to staying his path I have to find ways to change my thoughts when they arise. he had no control over things that happened to him as a child but he does have control over his adult life. Meditation helps. Be well, stay safe and strive to be in control of your own thoughts.

      Delete
  4. Thoughts most Definately do linger, but really at the end of the day thoughts are just thoughts. They are simply words strung together by us they have no meaning unless we buy into them and give them meaning. Let us think thoughts that nourish us. Don’t get me wrong I still have thoughts of my partner having sex with her and it kills me, but I try and snap myself out of it when I do and replace it with something that’s going to serve me better. Thinking those shitty thoughts although sometimes you can’t hlep it, doesn’t help us it just leaves us feeling stuck and annoyed and hating on him more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally listened to the podcast today and spent the whole time wanting to slap that man. He is being horrible and pathetic and refuses to accept responsibility. It's only when Esther Perel says this that I finally felt he's been called on his bullshit: "You see yourself as a good person. And you're doing not good things. And so you keep trying to close the gap."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails