Monday, September 14, 2020

I will not abandon myself. Not again

I will not stay – not ever again – in a room or conversation or relationship or institution that requires me to abandon myself.
~Glennon Doyle, Untamed
 
“To abandon myself.” I’ve been thinking a lot about those three words. And I’ve been thinking about the myriad ways, over many years, that I abandoned myself. Or, as I sometimes put it on this site, that I betrayed myself. And it is that betrayal, of myself, that was even more painful than my husband’s betrayal of me.
Not all of you have betrayed – abandoned – yourself. Among our mighty tribe are those who held their ground, who knew themselves, who never tolerated disrespect or silencing, who, when they found out, fought like hell for themselves and never doubted their worth.
And then there are the rest of us.
The pleasers. The silenced. The don’t-rock-the-boaters.
Even now, almost 14 years after D-Day, I struggle with not betraying myself. Those old lessons, carved into my cranium in childhood, are hard to unlearn.
I have to challenge myself constantly, in matters big and small. If someone is upset, I always ALWAYS try to fix things. I didn’t know this about myself. Not at first. It’s like that comic of the two fish swimming around when one fish says, “The water is nice.” To which the other fish replies, “What’s water?” I didn’t see myself pleasing because I didn’t realize there was another way to be.
Fixing things was the water I swam in.
Pleasing was the oxygen I breathed. And it was killing me.
But though, when I read words like those of Doyle’s, I respond with a raised fist and a “hell yes!”, when I try to imagine living those words, things get a bit fuzzy. Like…what exactly does it look like to never again stay in a room or conversation or relationship or institution. I’m all for not abandoning myself, but…how?
In a word, boundaries. Boundaries, I have learned, are the single best way to ensure we don’t abandon ourselves. Boundaries are a superpower. And yet, most of us have grown up in a culture and a society in which boundaries were often confused with being selfish.
Consider this conversation I had with my father when I was visiting him. My 22-year-old daughter called, stressed about an event she was holding at our house. I had been out of town visiting my dad and the house was “messy”, she told me. And where was the bucket for ice? And…and…and… I could feel my own stress rise. I wished I was there to help her and lower her stress. It’s a familiar dynamic between my daughter and me. When she stresses, I over-function, which leads to her underfunctioning. Her anxiety pulled me in, like a fishing line hauls in a fish. So though I kept telling myself, “this is not my problem. This is not my problem”, I nonetheless felt that THIS IS MY PROBLEM. I told my dad about the conversation with my daughter. “It’s because you care,” he said. No. Wrong answer. But that’s what I’ve always been taught. That we over-involve ourselves because we care. That we take on problems because we care. But I now know that’s just not true. I take on my daughter’s problems because I lack boundaries around her. I want to fix things for her because her anxiety triggers my anxiety. It’s not about caring, it's about reducing anxiety. I can care and be empathetic without trying to fix things. In fact, I now know that it’s more caring (and healthy!) to trust that she can handle things herself. Which, incidentally, she did, given that I wasn’t able to step in and fix things. As the old saying goes, constantly holding our child’s hand leaves them one less hand to use.
But, wow, is it hard! We women have been told for so long that “caring” is the same as “fixing”, that loving is about pleasing. And so, in all our fixing and pleasing, we abandon ourselves. By the time we read something like what Glennon Doyle says, we sense its truth. But often we’re so far gone we don’t recognize ourselves. We’re no longer sure where we end and other people begin. So when we’re asked not to abandon ourselves, we might think, “hell yeah” but when it comes down to it, we aren't even sure who "ourselves" is anymore. 
That was me. Maybe it’s you too.
But I’m here to assure you, it’s not a lost cause. YOU are not a lost cause.
You have abandoned yourself. But you are worth rescuing.
It’s going to be a steep learning curve. You are going to have to flex some atrophied muscles. You are going to have to retrace your steps sometimes to figure out exactly where you veered off the path. You are going to have to learn that “no” is a complete sentence. You absolutely must prioritize your own needs, within reason. Agreeing to something you disagree with is a surefire way to mix resentment into your relationship. You are going to have to disentangle the idea of a wishbone and a backbone. You can’t wish someone into caring about you. You must insist on it as the price of admission into your life.

You will mess this up. That's a given. But our job is not to know, it is to learn. And be willing to self-correct. 

Let's do this together. No more abandoning ourselves. No more pretending we're fine when we're not.  No more taking one for the team. No more sacrificing our own wants and needs to ensure that every else gets theirs. 

No more.

Who's in?


 
 

12 comments:

  1. Thank you and what a powerful read. I actually discovered myself early on after dday that I also had abandoned myself. That hit me harder than my husbands betrayal. I kept asking over and over...Who am i? When did I become this person and why did I let this happen? Immediately my ever present self critic jumped in and very clearly and loudly she would take me to my knees. When I became better at just being still, no thoughts etc.. I realized I needed to metaphorically kill and bury that inner self critic. When I was able to do that, an inner peace flowed in me and....I FOUND MY TRUE SELF!!!! I have forgiven myself and like you said...set hard bounderies. Your right about slipping but I no longer allow my critic to take me down. It also helped me to start learning to love myself again! I still have painful moments but they will no longer define me, I wont allow it. Thank you again for yours and all your followers insight. I now leave only in each second as it would be my last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting in my car on my lunch break with tears streaming down my face
    Count me in all the way.
    Such a powerful piece written by someone who understands
    I AM IN x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo in. Just realized that today is technically my wedding anniversary. I don't even know which one because 7 years ago, I tossed the significance of that day. But my H and I may be in the process of rebuilding a new marriage, tentative but hopeful. And what you have posted is absolutely the foundation upon which I will build my future, with or without this marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IN. It's scary though. Putting down a new boundary and knowing it could alter your life in huge ways. Last night I laid down a new boundary w my husband of 22 years and father of my three children. He confessed to reaching out to the affair partner (once a friend of mine) about a week ago. Called her; they talked. Then waited five days to tell me. Said he'd thought about her every day for the last 20 months (since d-day), during which he/I have been living and working together, participating in therapy and recovery groups, doing all the things. Really could have done without that tidbit of knowledge - you know, that he's apparently obsessed with her - but I guess I'm glad he was honest about it. So, I asked him to leave and stay elsewhere while he figured out what he really wants. Don't wanna move forward in a marriage with a partner whose mind/heart are with another. The worst part is observing my kids as they are clearly trying to make sense of what's happening. After husband left last night (for his mom's house - naturally), my 16yo wannabe-macho man-child of a son told me he was "disappointed" and started crying. Thankful he was able to verbalize his feeling and show emotion, but it infuriates me that his dad is the one doing the damage. Btw, when I asked husband to leave, he immediately replied, "I don't think that's a good idea" - he's afraid of what he might do while on his own. I'm a little afraid of that too. Also can't have you dragging our children and me through the mess of you trying to break free from this relational addiction. Do your work. Own your shit. Get healthy. Then we'll talk. It's all so freaking sad. But I feel better already. Empowered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been my life for the last 11 years. I am now realizing it as we are now in the middle of divorcing. He still wants me to fix things for him even while he is choosing to stay with his AP. I have set boundaries now And told him it's not my problem he won't have health insurance when our divorce is final. I will not allow myself to be abandoned again! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Elle for this - I so needed to read it today. I like so many abandoned myself for what I thought was the good of my marriage and my family. I did all the caring, pleasing and fixing for 30 years. I allowed my husband to take advantage of my good nature for his own gratification. I took on all of the responsibility for our children and the home so he could concentrate on his career. I worked hard in my own career too, but I accepted it was never as important as his. Unfortunately all that freedom meant he was able to cheat, lie and betray us all for so long. He didn’t value me at all. He ended up abandoning himself for his OW, pleasing and trying to fix her. He found it exhausting - how ironic. Now of course, he loves me so much, can’t live without his children (after not bothering with them for years)
    He still wants me to fix his brokenness- to fix us, for the sake of the children. I admit it is hard to not revert to my old habits and do just that- but I am beginning to realise I wasn’t happy for so long. I am struggling to decide whether to stay or go. I am 9 months out from D day and still get the same stomach churning anxiety when I wake every morning. I want to get back to being me - but it’s been so long - I don’t know who I am and if that includes having him in my life. How do I know for sure ? Is my gut trying to tell me something? I wish it didn’t hurt so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story of juggling plates and trying to make life stressless for your H while he focused on his career resonates with me. I too kept life running smoothly with kids, my own work and all of the associated logistics while my H was free to achieve, achieve, achieve in his work life. I began to feel invisible, but again and again he assured me that all was well and he was just distracted by his work life. Nope. Turns out he had a secret hobby that consisted of hooking up with women while on work travel for 10 years. I know now that I can't live a life that involves me being second anymore. I can't control him, but I can simply let him know how I will and won't live. I won't go back to being a part of the furniture in our home. My function isn't to clear a path for his life. His emotional work is ongoing, and his progress is slow. There have been ups and very low downs. But so long as I am clear on my bottom line in terms of how he treats me, our children and how he focuses on becoming a better and more self-aware man, I know I am going to be fine.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous, yours is the universal story here. I was married 35 years when my husband disclosed to me his history of cheating and debauchery. He thought he had AIDS from buying sex for years. Um, yes, that is exactly what my "Mr. Perfect, Mr. Clean, Mr. High and Mighty" had been doing while I was doing all that you described. Our children were grown and I was so unhappy. I am now more than 5 years out from where you sit. I am still married and we are doing well. He had a lot of work to do to set his life back on track as did I. 9 months out I was still not sure we would last or I would be able to move forward with him for the long term but I was paralyzed, despondent and in complete shock over this disclosure. He did his work. I did my work. I yelled at him and hated him and prayed he would die or kill himself many a day/night when the mind movies played and my thoughts tortured me. Those things rarely happen anymore. Life will never be the same as it was before D-day but my life is okay now. You will hurt for a long time and you will feel discouraged and sad and angry but as long as you put yourself first and on the trajectory you want to be on things will slowly get better. My husband blew up all of my fairy tale thoughts about our marriage and who he was. Now I know he was just like everyone else. He was/is just a very damaged man with a very sad childhood who pretended that he was okay. He wasn't. He is so much more okay now that the truth is out and we live more authentically and honestly in our own truth. I do miss all those fairy tales at times but I wouldn't trade that fantasy for my current reality. Just breathe Anonymous. Take is one day at a time. This is your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beach Girl, for sharing part of your story here. I've seen your name around but don't think I'd read details. I appreciate your words. And encouragement.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much Beach Girl for your reply. It really helps to know I am not alone or going completely crazy. My husband also had a very difficult childhood and pretended to be ok just like yours. He is finally realising the true devastation of his actions. I just don’t know even if he does the work and changes - it will be enough for me. But I know it would still hurt even if I was on my own. I have so much respect for all my fellow betrayed - whether they stay or leave. Just getting through the days after this god awful mess shows real strength and courage. I deserve to be happy, it’s not my fault this happened- but it is up to me to value me first- before everything else. I want to believe we can make it - just scared I will be hurt again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. New to this site and this here. This is the biggest issue I have been having with his affair. It's forgiving myself. I keep reliving last year playing out in my head what I should have done differently. To protect myself from the pain and heartbreak. My health suffered horribly as I had stopped eating. I stopped taking care of myself trying to take care of him and in the end, I betrayed myself in a much worse way than what he did. I am struggling to move on due to this. He is being wonderful and trying to recover from this. He's grateful for the second chance. But will I be able to move forward in my life, with our without him, if I don't forgive myself? I was told about boundaries by my therapist and keep forgetting to set or abide by them. I keep trying to care for others and "fix". Going to make an attempt to commit to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. And you are not alone. Not in your betrayal and not in your difficulty forgiving yourself. I struggled with that too. Many of us did. I had never met a problem I couldn't solve through sheer force of will (actually, I had met many problems I couldn't solve but I hadn't yet learned that I couldn't "fix" everything). Your need to fix is a need to control. Because recognizing that there are many things we can't control is terrifying. Unfortunately, it's also the truth. I had grown up in a family with addiction. My way of coping was "fixing" or taking care of people who, frankly, should have been taking care of themselves. The person I wasn't taking care of was the one person it was my JOB to take care of: Me. But I sacrificed myself to maintain this illusion that I had power, that I could "fix" this crazy family.
      Fast forward a few decades and there I was again. Trying to "fix" someone else while abandoning the person it was my JOB to take care of: Me.
      I had learned this behaviour. Which means I could unlearn it. I could learn to do it differently. So can you.
      Sometimes, it's just a matter of reminding ourselves (like, literally, posting reminders around your house): I am responsible to others, not for others. It is not my job to do for other what they can and should be doing themselves. Help is the sunny side of control.
      It can feel terrifying to realize that there is a lot in our lives we can't control. Like whether he cheats again, whether he leaves us, whether a horrible disease takes the lives of our children. What we can control is how we respond to these things. And when we know better, we do better. You're learning. Be gentle with yourself. One step forward, one step back at first. But it gets easier with practice. When you slip into those old habits, you'll begin to catch yourself and then correct your response.
      It is almost impossible to be compassionate with others if we can't give that same compassion to ourselves. Begin there. You did the best you could at the time. It's done. Let it go and focus on today. On you. Today.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails